I see that there are many threads about this… I just ran into it myself. I was connected to the Tablo at the time, browsing the guide, when the unit suddenly disconnected from my tablet and the blue LED started flashing in groups of 3 or 4 then a pause then rinse and repeat. I was recording a show at the time, so I was unsure what to do. But after a few minutes, I reset the unit and it is back online.
Overheating? The unit was warm-ish… but not what I consider hot. Nothing is around it, it sits in a well ventilated area on a flat wooden surface. I guess airflow could be improved by putting bigger feet on it.
My shows that were recording, ended up being split in 2 by the disruption, no big deal. I am use to that with the other dvrs I have used.
My wife had some appliance feet, saved from a prior need, I added them to the bottom of the Tablo. If nothing else, they were free, and do improve the airflow. Not a big deal. Also, my Tablo is on the 5ghz band, and this morning when this happened, it was having some issues, going between 1 to 4 bars on my tablet (which was sharing the band with no dropouts). So I don’t know what to think. My hard drive seems to be operating smoothly…
The only thing that stands out in my mind is that I was in the middle of making A LOT of changes to my recording schedule… I mean a lot!! So maybe I overdid it and the software crashed?! I don’t know. My unit is pretty new, so I have not settled down my recording schedule yet… just getting things into the shape I want. I hope in a few days I will get over the need to fine tune it.
Not real sure I know… it was the signal strength meter on the status line in the upper right-hand corner of my Android tablet. I assume that is the received signal from the router, but I am no expert.
Concerning the logs… as I mentioned somewhere else in this forum, I am a DIY’er… not a big caller to customer service (I worked customer service for 10 years… been there, had enough). If I can’t do it myself… or thru this forum, don’t count on me doing it.
I have the same problem with other software too… if they hide the logs, then they don’t exist as far as I am concerned. Just me.
Funny thing about the recordings… during this “crash”" period, the recordings (2 tuners were both recording a show), did not stop. After reset the recordings were split, but very little was missing. It appeared that only the part of the shows during the reboot process were lost. Maybe 2 minutes worth. But the “crash” period was about 10-20 minutes, as I waited for the system, thinking it might clear by itself… reboot/reset was my last resort. When it rebooted, the blue LED had a funny blink pattern… not the normal one. I don’t recall the exact way to describe it, but it was not what I am used to seeing. Anyhow, no repeat yet of the issue, and I am more cautious with my schedule editing.
And yes, I am a Windows user… but I actually have a fair amount of time with Ubuntu and Android – thru my homebrew efforts with TV boxes and game consoles. Tablo is my 3rd or 4th DVR though and I have never tinkered with one of them very much .