Tablo DVRs is Reportedly Working on Launching a Live TV Service Similar to Philo & Frndly TV But With Locals

Now, according to a report from LightReading, E.W. Scripps the new parent company behind Tablo DVRs is working on launching a live TV add-on service that would let you get a skinny package of entertainment-focused pay-TV bundle of channels. This service sounds very similar to packages offered by Philo and Frndly TV.

The big selling point for the Tablo DVR’s live TV service would be the fact that it would include your local channels from your antenna on the same device.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/tablo-dvrs-is-reportedly-working-on-launching-a-live-tv-service-similar-to-philo-frndly-tv-but-with-locals/

3 Likes

And to think there is a whole class of users who want less dependence on the internet. Sounds like they might need to look for a different solution.

How about tablo centering their attention on fixing what they already have before they start screwing up another aspect of their so called plug and play dvr! I realize that scripps is profit oriented but taking in more money when they haven’t yet delivered on their promise of an easy plug and play dvr experience for all is nothing more than another grift! Let’s get it together Tablo! (Nothing more than greed!)

6 Likes

Pay to play bundles from cable companies is the reason the whole cord cutting movement started. Subsidizing stations you never watch with your cable subscription is what we’re trying to get away from. Now Tablo wants to do the same? At first it will be an option, but when they don’t get enough subscribers they’ll force you to pay the subscription to use the device. It’s just a matter of time.

2 Likes

I will never pay for any streaming service. Ever. I have other/better ways to use up my time.

1 Like

The better things WE (including me) do with our lives is spending 8 hours a day on the Tablo Forums.

7 Likes

Good one!

1 Like

LOL. Yeah I knew I had a problem when I started getting " Aficionado badges" for visiting the forum 100 days in a row.

3 Likes

100?
I thought it was 99.
#!@&%$

1 Like

They posted their YT video about it around an hour ago.

So instead of fixing the mess they have, they would introduce more complexity into what should be a simple product.

5 Likes

It looks like this is not quite true. There will be no Tablo service, but they will offer their hardware to services:

Now, though E.W. Scripps says in a statement to Cord Cutters News that they are not launching a live TV service. Tablo stopped short of saying they are working with a TV providers but it seems they are instead partnering with TV providers, they will supply the hardware, and the TV companies will supply the streaming service that will run on the Tablo DVR. In a move that sounds very similar to Comcast’s Now TV service that gives you entertainment-focused channels for $20 a month.

1 Like

I like the sound of that. Combine Tablo and Philo. Getting close to Channels DVR.

I know halloween is coming soon. But if all you want is a good working OTA product with sensible apps that is the scariest thing I’ve heard in a while.

2 Likes