Tablo dvr through out the house

NOTE: I’m old and not tech savvy. I got a tablo and so I watch TV through that. In the living room it works great but down the hall to the bedroom ir keeps buffering. So much so that is is not even worth watching the TV. The streaming works fine like Netflix, prime and my other apps which leads me to believe it’s not the internet signal. Is there something I can do short of putting an antenna antenna tablo box in the dang hallway?

You didn’t explain what the bedroom connection is. I can assume it’s WiFi. But is the bedroom device(?) connected to the 2.4 Ghz or 5Ghz WiFi.

I have the new T-Mobile 5g internet wifi. The tablo is in the living room with antenna hooked to it and the other this using the wifi signal and roku

WiFi coverage can be hard to figure out, what worked one day sometimes doesn’t work the next. I suggest trying a WiFi scanning app on your phone to verify that the WiFi signal is good near the bedroom (I use WiFi Analyzer).

Another thing to try (but maybe not easy to accomplish) is to just run a Cat5/6 ethernet cable to the bedroom - the buffering should stop with this setup. My Tablo and Roku have been hardwired for many years now - no problems.

A while back I did have my printer setup to use WiFi, but finally had to hardwire that as well. Devices and other WiFi networks in the neighborhood kept interfering to the point the printer would lose connection about once a week.

One other thing, as I understand it Netflix, Amazon, etc. use adaptive streaming methods that change the bitrate based on the available bandwidth. Tablo does not work this way, the bandwidth needs are constant - so any blips in WiFi network speed are quite noticeable. As a test, try lowering your recording quality (options are 3, 5, 8, 10Mbps).

:+1:thanks

Which tablo do you have? Network or HDMI?

Unfortunatly tabol doesn’t recommend or support mobile hot-spot networking :frowning: that may not help either.

Why Cellular Data and Mobile Hotspots Are Not Recommended

"T-Mobile 5g internet " is the link between the gateway and the cell tower. Not the connection between the gateway and the bedroom TV - which could be 2.4Ghz or 5 Ghz.

If the TV is connected via 5 Ghz most cell phone WiFi analytics won’t tell you signal strength since most phones only use 2.4 Ghz.

5 Ghz WiFi doesn’t travel as far or penetrate walls very well. You may have good enough 2.4 Ghz WiFi for tablo. Otherwise maybe a WiFi extender in a hallway would help.

1 Like

So yes that is what I was wondering, if there was some kind of boost. I have good signal throughout the house but was wondering if the tablo needed some sort of boost.

Network. I use t-mobil home internet not my cell phone

Tablo needs a most constant signal. I never got good results with wifi even with Tablo, Tv and router 12 feet apart! . And I din’t want to run ethernet cables inside the house.

I finally bought the TP-Link AV2000 Powerline Adapter Kit. Never had buffering problems after that! .
If you have the Tablo box and the TV on the same electric breaker, you should get excellent results. That was my case.

Which Tablo do you have? The HDMI DVR (aka TV connected DVR) or the Network connected DVR?

The HDMI DVR isn’t really intended for whole home streaming cause the video recorded is the native MPEG2 video which is a lot higher bitrate than the transcoded h.264 video on the Network connected DVR.

To watch Tablo content on additional TVs within your home, you’ll need an active TV Guide Data Servicesubscription, a strong home WiFi network

More on that page:

“TV-connected Tablo DVRs deliver and record Over-the-Air TV in its original, uncompressed MPEG2 format.This creates bandwidth-heavy streams of up to 18 Mbps.

To deliver this video without buffering over WiFi, a strong home network is required.

For the best experience, connect your Tablo and/or your streaming devices/Smart TVs to your network via Ethernet where possible.”

WiFi uses basically 2 different bands - 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz. So which band is your TV connected to? And since there are 2 different bands what does good signal mean - one band or both bands.

Many people think that the Wifi bars they see on their phone indicates throughput capacity - it doesn’t. It’s only signal strength. many people have a WiFi analysis app on their phone and stand next to the desired device(TV) since these apps calculate throughput capacity. But many phones only work with 2.4 Ghz and thus can’t detect 5 Ghz capability.

Thanks I’ll check it out. The living room TV, tablo box are together and work fine, the T-Mobile modem is about 13 feet away. The back bedroom TV is the one buffering and I don’t want to to move the tablo back and forth between rooms

The back bedroom TV uses the Roku for WiFi to the T-mobile modem in the living room. You can check the signal level the Roku is getting. Make sure you are at the Roku home screen and then use the down arrow key to go to Settings and press the OK button. Then press it again on Network. Use the down arrow to go to check connection and press the OK button. Wait for the test to complete and then press OK. You will then see some information on the right side of the screen. Check what it says for signal strength and internet download speed.

Thank you

Did I miss somewhere in the thread where the OP said it is a HDMI Tablo or a network Tablo? lol

I feel this may end up being critical to helping them.

No humidity, plug in power cord plug in rabbit ears and connect to wifi

It’s often not mentioned, and most everyone continues along the same path as though it’s a network connected device.

Similar to questions about why isn’t this working when I press this button and … As though tablo is -what do you mean not everyone isn’t watching using the same device I am.

There are already so many different combinations of devices and connectivity options - you first might start with which “type” of tablo is it.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.