Tablo dies after upgrade to 2.2.12 F/W. Refurb does same

Both the old and new units are up about an inch from the shelf it is mounted on. Had to make a little stand out of Aluminum or Aluminium 1" angle that allows the LED to be seen and also the unit seems a bit cooler this way .

Good news and bad news. First of all, I received our replacement Tablo 4 tuner in three(3) days over last weekend. Very good support- FedEx’d dead unit to Tablo. Had cut into power cord to troubleshoot the power on that unit while working with support - hope I didn’t void the warranty. Haven’t fired the new unit up yet- looking for a 2Tb drive to go with this one. The refurb unit has worked about a week or so after the last Blue LED incident and it recovered the lost disk space during the week. Bad news- found refurb unit with Blue LED out Friday AM and no connection. Ethernet LED’s were both on- reset button no work. Cycled power and unit booted and was able to be reconnected. Didn’t lose anything on the disk. Unit is working OK at the moment. Anybody else having this issue?

So you’re going to keep running two Tablos?

My Tablo Quad has the same issue around once per month.
Haven’t been able to figure out the root cause yet.

Just want to make sure new unit works and have a backup setup. My wife depends on it for exercise she gets OTA for a health issue she has. Wanted to put a few recordings for her on the other unit in case we have an issue like the first one. We really like the concept and it works great except for this issue. Good tuner - just don’t overload with too good of a signal.

@Kamerson Glad to hear things are up and running. Don’t hesitate to touch base with us if you run into anything!

It happened again. Was watching inauguration last Friday and Blue LED went out at 4pm and lost connection to all devices. A few minutes just prior to the Blue LED going out, the guide showed the inauguration scheduled for rest of day. After trying reset, and then re power, the unit rebooted OK and all was well. The guide now showed local news starting at 4pm. Worked rest of Friday. Some sort of guide update issue? Saturday AM - Found unit dead with an extremely bright Blue LED , no connection and scheduled recordings missing for that evening. Pressed reset button unit reset, ran about 2 minutes and went through a series of fast blink slo blink never connected. Other devices on router have no issues. Finally pulled power waited a few minutes and repowered. Running along the last few days. Of course it fails going into the weekend … Stay tuned.

I suggest you open a Support Ticket with Tablo so they can look into your logs and find out why this is happening. Some users have been posting this issue so the more they know the more they can do to fix it in a future firmware update.

Opened a ticket and support got to me right away this AM. Set Tablo into heartbeat mode as requested by support. Awaiting their response that they got the info from the logs. Unit crashed just prior to setting unit into heartbeat mode. Had to try a couple of times pushing reset button sequence quickly - finally used a ballpoint pen to quickly press the reset in the sequence requested. It has been running in heartbeat mode OK. I thought I might have a router issue but the current router is a Netgear 8300. Last one was a Technicolor 8715D. Tablo crashed same way on boht with 2.2.12. Tablo is wired and given fixed IP. We will see what happens. Hope I get a response that they were able to read the logs successfully. Need to get some duct tape to cover the flashing LED… :wink: I do not think that duct tape will fix the issue with the Tablo dying :cry:

1 Like

Today, we started with the “An unknown error has occurred” scenario twice so far. What is going on ?
Unit ran in heartbeat mode and over Friday night reset. Died again Saturday. Awaiting some resolution from Tablo.

Tablo support was able to read the logs earlier last week and found a f/w issue that will be corrected in next release. Since we like the Tablo concept, we will stick with the product . We have added our unit to the beta test suite when new releases come available. We will save about $1800(usd) per year using Tablo and being on a fixed income, well worth working the issues.

4 Likes

Hello, I have the same issue, sent you the information through the support page and haven’t heard back yet. My Tablo 4 tuner was bought in Nov-2015. The issue has happened twice in last 30 days. Can you please check and fix? Thanks in advance!

I’ve been having issues with my Tablo that I purchased in Dec 2016. Issues started about 1 month ago when it came out to connection. The received SOS blinking. STill awaiting resolution with Support.

Still having the same issue about once a week. Still no fix in sight I guess.? It seems that the issue shows up it is overnight. It seems to be proceeded with problems with looping back about 7 hours on one of the channels (Channel 11 WTVD) using Roku 3 then we find the Tablo with the Blue LED out and no connection a day or so after. Recycle power seems to fix unit for a few days. Seems to want to crash on weekends.??

I am running this version I am wondering if this is causing my freezing and hanging, the device got so hot I had to put a fan on it to cool it, but still have issues.

I do not know if it is a thermal problem. I have had our Tablo4 elevated about 1in. (25cm) above the shelf it is on as long as we have had it. The surface temperature underneath is less than 50C (I can keep my hand on it - is just hot). . My diesel pickup has the engine control module mounted on the block which is a lot higher temperature. I think the new electronics are much more temperature tolerant. Wouldn’t be surprised though that there is some sort of temperature related timing issue but not a reliability one that affects firmware/software performance on some units since there are reports that turning the unit on it side fixes their issues. Could be completely different issue than temperature. Possibly some sort of conflict for resources. Need to wait on a solution. When it works it does a great job.

Here we are months later. Tablo is not fixed. Problem is getting worse. Almost everyday it stops working. Either the unit dies with Blue LED out and no connection or unit loses connection and reboots - sometimes OK after reboot sometimes have to cycle power to get it to work correctly. Was OK until 2.2.12 fw load. Sometimes it gets into a 15 minute or so loop which is kind of new problem. Starting to not want to continue with the product. When I see a company putting out new products but not fixing known issues - look at forum - many have same problem described differently- makes you allegedly wonder if the product will ever be fixed.

This appears to be a known firmware issue, doesn’t affect everyone. The current beta is trying to fix the issue so you can be added to the firmware beta if you want, it may help.

I thought I was on the beta test list…