Tablo crashes and reboots when recordings fail

You would think that a circuit board is fully tested before releasing a product. Is there a mention to what specific chipset they are talking about? Why would two years pass by with no resolution from a chipset manufacturer?

The digital processing should be simple enough. The QAM signal has the result of a mathematical formula inside each packet. The algorithm takes the basic payload data and does the same calculation, and compares the result to the same result that is carried in the packet. If they are different the system then tries to do Forward Error Correction. If everything fails then the system must decide weather to dump the packet or pass it along to the screen. If it passes on the data, garbage shows on the screen. Maybe it does an MER calculation and keeps passing the packets, so long as the MER doesn’t drop below 30. What I fail to understand is how the garbage in the signal is injecting garbage in a chipset, so much to affect its logical operation.

Again, searching the forum, 50+ results forweak signal reboot it’s unlikely you’ll find anyone in disagreement.

As noted in the first response “Old news”.
The topic dates back to at least 2015…

You imply there’s not an antenna connection to TVs. This is a misnomer. I’ve had my antenna connected to several TVs for decades, a tablo for about 1.5yrs after several years connected to a PC set up as an OTA DVR.

technical absurdity I suspect :neutral_face:

Yup, but I understand the need to vent, I do it often myself. But self-help is all you get for this situation.

Sadly, maybe a tablo isn’t the right device to meet your needs. Many do, some don’t… find what lets you be happy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My signal is good, but of course you have some channels with low signal. I eliminated those because of this problem. I got bad news for you. Even when you have excellent signal, this could also happen when you have rain fade and you are recording those fantastic channels with 5 green bars. I believe this is a great product that needs to be improved. But believe me, this is not new to me. I’ve lived with it for quite some time now. And with all the rain we are getting in Florida in the past few months, it’s become very annoying. No, I would think that it is a great product for me, or anyone, if they lived in the desert. The best signal doesn’t necessary fix the problem completely. That’s just a patch for a product that works well, but only under very specific conditions.

I previously had a TiVo. It was a four tuner. I had problems with weak signal, it was able to record with a few glitches. I would like to know why Tablo can’t? I have the best setup for signal reception available. The weak signal problems I have are from the transmitter. The field engineer has made some improvements. I receive five frequency’s and fifteen of my channels from one tower. My ABC is received by VHF antenna. NBC, Fox, and PBS are close enough I could probably get them with rabbit ears. My CBS comes from the translated tower. If any of those five frequency falters then I lose all twenty nine channels.
I’m not a tech guru, but if TiVo can do it then why can’t Tablo?

1 Like

Maybe they’re not explaining much further due to trade secrets :man_shrugging:

Very likely, different technologies. No TV I ever had does, nor a number of tuner cards in my PC have ever shut the entire thing down… must be specific to their unique and maybe copyrighted specifications, so no one will ever know.

In this case your OTA signal issues might be you are over driving the Tablo tuners. Read below about overdriving:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/getting-technical-over-air-tv-reception/

When no recordings are taking place, and bad signal hits the tuner I am watching, the box acts correctly. It presents a dark image, with a circle spinning in the middle of the screen. Then later, it comes back up when the signal stabilizes again. Of course, if you are watching a live channel, it is also recording, in case you have to pause, rewind, or fast forward the live feed. No problems there. I believe the problem happens mostly when a scheduled recording event is happening simultaneously. When both tuners are recording. I wonder if it might be a multithreading problem with the hardrive recordings.

Or that could just be the app you’re using waiting for the table to finish it’s reboot :thinking:

My weak signal, crash/reboot issues occurred on 3 different Tablos, while watching 1 Live TV channel.
No scheduled recordings, and no other Live TV channels tuned in.

We bypassed that issue by purchasing good antennas, and mounting them as high as possible, in the best locations.

Still it’s not a solution, but rather a workaround.

1 Like

No, I don’t t think its rebooting when the dark window shows up with a small circle spinning in the middle of the screen. If the Tablo box was rebooting, it wouldn’t show a dark screen with a circle spinning in the middle of the screen. If it was rebooting, it would show nothing at all. So the spinning circle is a cue like the blue screen. It means “weak signal“ is present. That’s fantastic. This means that the box is somehow mitigating a bad signal situation. No crash, no reboot. But if the second tuner has a scheduled recording, and it fails, then the box crashes. I would think that there are two programming threads, each one handling their own recording. The mitigation exists, but maybe not well coordinated when more than one recording is taking place.

This sounds speculative and app specific.

If it could do this… there would never be a “weak signal” reboot… would there?

Perhaps the programing for your device/app “says” lets just display a spinner while we’re waiting for the tablo device to respond… we’re not sure what’s going on (since it’s rebooting).

Again, if a mitigation exists, then this topic wouldn’t exists. As for the number of recordings, it’s been some time since I’ve encountered this dilemma, I don’t believe it cares how many recordings are in effect. If a single tuner encounters this issue - that’s all it takes.

In the end – Sometimes it can keep from rebooting if it encounters the “weak signal” threshold… but other times… well it just can’t tolerate the “weak signal” and reboots - but not when anyone is looking? This isn’t just wishful thinking? Or some justification to reconcile a failure to understand?

OK - this has been rattling around in my head for quite some time. It’s mere speculation and I am a software guy not a hardware guy. If a tuner encounters a critical error it sends a signal to a lead on the tuner. Either all the tuners are tied together, i.e. one fails, they all fail, and/or the lead is hardwired to send a signal to reboot the device, not controllable via firmware. If this is the case then it is beyond Nuvyyo’s control. If not, then maybe there is a chance. Yep I said it.

I’ve had my recording failures, but never witnessed a crash (5 years going). I never reboot it.

I always believe every needs a dream!
You need something to believe in, why not your tablo?

Someday they’re sure to come out with another generation - tablo 4.2 maybe a double quad!! So the turners are isolated from each other… only half reboot at a time - but only under the rare occurrence of the dreaded “weak signal”.

Eight tuners, think of all the nonsense you could record with that!! Now there’s something to dream about, huh? I could finally complete my collection of Johnny Soko and His Flying Robot

1 Like

The user 86 my signal problems are tropospheric ducting. I’m not getting any reception this morning. Temp in OKC is 57 and here 32. No telling where that signal is, probably south Texas or Canada! Of course the channels on vhf are good and the channels you mentioned might be over driven. Only problem I have with those is when Tablo reboots. Never had a problem with those 14 with TiVo.
If I’m recording a game on ABC and NBC, at the same time as CBS. I don’t think I should lose all three because CBS has a few glitches.

1 Like

I’ve had my Tablo for quite a while. Not sure what their support cycle is. When companies create new products, they tend to support the legacy equipment for only so long. If there is a chipset problem and maybe a newer version of the box works without these flaws, I would consider even buying a newer model. Hard to gage without the proper info. It’s possible, if someone says they don’t see this problem at all. But how would we know unless we have specific version and or lot information related to ongoing problems?

I’m not a 100% sure, but I believe that you have separate tuners inside TVs, as you would in a Tablo. The signal gets split first, and then each tuner does its job. To have a balanced split, you either use a 2-way or a 4-way split, hence the 2 tuner or 4 tuner units. The same circuit board that splits it probably has a means to amp the signal before the split to mitigate the loss. The next balanced split would be an 8-way split, but now you have other dynamics that hurts keeping the signal in good balance. You would have to amp it close to 12 dbs, before you do an 8-way split. And if that 12 dbs brings up the total signal above 20 dbs, before it is split, then you overdrive the signal, and you end up with garbage. I would imagine that this is why it would be impractical to go above 4 tuners. So I don’t believe its just one tuner doing all the work and getting corrupted. It’s likely the coordination of the recordings that goes bad.

One would think that 2 years is plenty of time to fix this sort of problem… or put a new tuner in the box (a new unit was introduced 1 year ago).

Funny thing, I did have this problem, i.e. poor reception on some channels. And I never saw a single reboot. Never… sometimes I did have system freezes and crashes. But I did 3 things that stopped the problem: (1) put a better antenna… in attic, instead of living room, (2) added a fan to keep unit cool, and last but not least (3) severely cutback the number of recording conflicts (in fact, I eliminated ALL recording conflicts).

Since doing these 3 things, my Tablo runs like a top. No freezes, no pixelization, nothing. Just a load a good recordings.

1 Like

The quote I posted from TabloTV was from May 2019, when they briefly explained why… well not really but had some explanation.

But a TV only tunes one channel at a time unlike a table. What would it use the other tuners for? TVs only have one screen.