Recording Segmentation

It’s what I remember but it was a long time ago and my memory could be faulty. I know I would get pixelation with the bad hard drive hooked up and when I replaced the hard drive the pixelation would disappear. Maybe I made the logical jump to weak signal based on the pixelation I saw.
Model # SPVR4-01-NA. I am on 2.2.26 now but I am unsure what firmware version I had back then.

Well, that explains that! :grinning:

Thanks!

I assume that is either the old 4-tuner, or the QUAD. First Hardware Revision, North American version? Just guessing from how Model #s usually “work”…

So, if you can remember, did the “Segmentation” STOP before, or after, you Updated to 2.2.26 Firmware?

It is the old 4-tuner but I cannot find any additional information on the version/revision. The segmentation stopped long before 2.2.26, it stopped when I replaced the hard drive.
I’m guessing others who may think they have reception (antenna) issues may actually have hard drive issues but that may not be your specific issue.

Ok, well I now have a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT theory:

Since “Weak Signal” appears to be the “Default Error” reported/logged by the Tablo, probably LOTS of the “Tablo-User-Lore” about “Weak Signals cause Reboots” (and thus “Segmentation”), it is just as likely (as you suggest, above) to be some other, unrelated fault.

@TabloSupport is just too embarrassed to say they can’t really say for sure what is causing any specific Reboots, because the Error-Logging/Reporting SUCKS… :wink:

No WONDER they’ve been silent on this issue!

Sorry for the delay. Before responding, we wanted to sit down with our subject matter experts to make sure we had the most accurate and up-to-date information.

Short fluctuations in signal strength or slight errors will NOT trigger a Tablo to reboot. For your DVR to get into a state where a reboot is required, one or more of the incoming Over-the-Air signals to your Tablo must be significantly and persistently corrupted.

By undertaking a system reboot to clear the corruption from the ‘bad’ channel, the Tablo can recover and re-attempt recordings coming in from ‘good’ channels. While we agree this may not be the most elegant solution, we believe it is the best choice we have available currently.

Our recommendation to avoid this rare occurrence has always been to improve your Over-the-Air setup to strengthen reception on ‘bad’ channels. Barring that, these channels should be removed from your lineup for optimal performance.

In order to help end-users better identify problematic channels, we are working to provide improved diagnostics and in-app feedback so stay tuned for more on that.

3 Likes

@TabloTV Would it be possible to expose an end user control preference that would continue recording if other channels are clean and are recording at the same time as the corrupt channel?

This way the user not the machine determines when a reboot occurs.

1 Like

For your DVR to get into a state where a reboot is required, one or more of the
incoming Over-the-Air signals to your Tablo must be significantly and persistently
corrupted.

Does this mean that a tuner must be actively tuned to the channel with bad signal, OR does the channel merely need to be on the user’s channel list?

Thank you for the time to research.

Yes. That’s correct. This reboot will only trigger if you’re viewing live or recording a channel that is corrupt.

First, as the originator of this Topic, thank you VERY much for both keeping an eye on these “Discussions”, and even MORE for actually having one or more meetings with your Development team(s) regarding this issue!

One question though: Is it actually impossible/impractical to Re-initialize JUST the single Tuner chip/card that is having difficulty, instead of just Jumping to the tippy-top of the code?

The problem with that is that it would END the Recording on the “bad channel”, without the “good thing” of attempting to Resume that Recording, too.

If we can’t have a user control preference prioritizing show preference… but we can control weather or not when it fault to a reboot – now you’re being silly :slight_smile:

Your “good thing” also interrupts what could be up to three other perfectly good recordings.

If I have a program recording on a channel that breaks up bad enough to lock up the tuner, I’d rather completely lose that one recording than lose all four recordings because that one channel repeatedly causes the Tablo to reboot and just incase you don’t believe that would happen, I can assure you that it has happened to me in the past where a bad signal has caused a recording to be divided into four or five parts. Everytime the Tablo reboots, you lose two to three minutes of every recording, not just the one problem tuner. Just give me an error message with the failed recording letting me know I need to reboot the Tablo to gain back access to the locked up tuner.

1 Like

Hear, hear!!!

So now you’ve locked out a tuner. What happens to all the recordings that are now going to fail because the unit is one tuner short of what it had when you scheduled the recordings?

1 continuously failing tuner is better than 3 other immediate failures. IMHO

Continuously? When this has happened to me, it’s been very intermittent. Like once per week, maybe. I’ll take a couple of split recordings over a dozen missed recordings (due to missing a tuner) any time.

In my personal case, I have two 4 tuner Tablos. It is extremely rare that I have all 8 tuners in use at the same time. So, I would gladly lose the use of 1 tuner because of a failing signal than to lose 1, 2 or 3 good recordings. Even before I purchased the second Tablo, I still would have preferred losing one tuner and it’s associated recordings rather than losing recordings from all tuners.

When I had a station that was regularly causing a reboot I removed it from my selected channels until I could adjust my antenna to improve the signal strength. I had a 30 year old yagi antenna that would occasionally get hit by a tree limb during a severe storm causing the antenna to be rotated slightly. I recently replaced the yagi with an Antop AT-400BV which hopefully won’t have a problem with the tree.

I also check my scheduled and completed recordings daily, so again it would be most beneficial to me to reboot the Tablo on my schedule rather than when it senses a corrugated signal.

That’s why I was asking about REINITIALIZING ONLY THE BAD TUNER, NOT A REBOOT!

Or, if that is not possible, then expose a preference that allows the USER to decide!

1 Like