Tablo comes through in an outage!

My internet has been down all morning. First it will be back up by 650 then 920 then 1040 and now they pushed it to 2pm. Zero clue when it will be back up but no worries my Tablo on Roku is playing for me like a champ! Just clicked to proceed and another thank you to the team. I most certainly made the right decision!

3 Likes

There are advantages to the Roku as your frontend (there are disadvantages too, like trying to go remote with you Roku, won’t work).

Mine was out too… you must have Cox as your provider. Fortunately, I use Roku as well and it came right up with no issues.

LOL yes Cox.

Yesterday we had a rare power outage from 2pm to 3pm. Usually my internet continues to work as I have my modem and router on a UPS that lasts for quite a while. But not this time. After the power returned we still did not have internet. Texted my neighbor and his was out to. This morning it was still out so I called support again. They said it would be up at about 10am. It was back up at 9:30.

It’s amazing how we depend on the internet. That whole time seemed like a strange cloud was over our house/life. Once everything was running ok I went into Tablo on my iPad and found no channel data in live TV so I looked at the guide status. It said guide not updated for 51 years. Granted those 19.5 hours of no internet seemed like an eternity but 51 years?

Totally understand as I can live without a bunch of things internet isn’t one of them! Glad you are back up after all those years :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/

Each time your Tablo OTA DVR turns on, it will check for something called the Network Time Protocol (NTP) which tells the system what year, date, and time it is in your location. Your home router will pass this info on from your ISP, which identifies your location based on your IP address.

Without the correct time, your Tablo will either think it’s been put into a time warp back to 1970, or if it gets the right date but the wrong time, schedule recordings or show a live TV grid for the incorrect time slot.

I understand this as tablo not having a real time clock so each time it boots/powers up … it starts over at the epoch. But this may just be me.

Yeah thanks it’s good to be back :wink:. I was just talking to my wife about how strange it is when the internet goes down for an extended period. When I saw that 51 years thing it made me laugh. Anyway, things are all back to normal and Tablo made it through with no issues.