Tablo Client Device Suggestions

A great game I would recommend if you ever have friends or family over is Jackbox Party Pack 2. It is a collection of about 6 awesome party games that are easy to learn and hilarious to play. It’s expensive at $25 but well worth it - I have never met someone who didn’t love it.

That was fast. “What do they think they are, sub $100 Tivo minis?!?!”

Just got an email from Newegg, the Shield will be 179 + free remote + free shipping for 24 hours this Sunday (tomorrow). It didn’t have a promo code in the email so I would assume it’s open to everyone, not just email subscribers. Looks like the free remote and free shipping are already in effect now, but the price is 199 until tomorrow.

Don’t know if this is a good price as I haven’t looked at these yet, but maybe this will make someone happy. :sunglasses:

1 Like

2nd best price I have seen. On Black Friday it was $150 but this is still a solid deal.

@ChrisFix, I did not have a coupon or other discount. I expected to have to pay full price but they were marked 49.99. Should have grabbed a couple more.

Darn. I just ordered a shield + remote for $199 from Amazon. I already have a Fire TV v1 and it is a lot better than my Roku 3 for streaming Tablo content. I don’t understand why a DLNA server is not integrated into the Tablo tuner. It seems like it would simplify things.

Tom

Best Buy is now got the Nexus Player for $50.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/google-nexus-player-streaming-media-console-black/2445015.p?id=1219542308629&skuId=2445015&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=2445015&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!61865531738!g!!62059983135&kpid=2445015&k_clickid=426c1769-2c26-4985-8219-ebe9dfc3eba1&lsft=ref:212,loc:1&ksid=426c1769-2c26-4985-8219-ebe9dfc3eba1&ksprof_id=10&ksaffcode=pg10347&ksdevice=c

1 Like

Thanks…I’ve been waiting for it to come back down to $50…just bought two!

1 Like

I broke down and picked up the NP because I couldn’t take all of the problems with the Roku 3 and the Tablo.

I can now record at 1080 (720-60fps) all day and never have an issue at play back time. I ordered two more NP’s for my other TV’s. If I was able to get Watch ESPN and Amazon Prime on the NP, I would sell the Roku 3’s in a heartbeat.

Lesson learned here: Sometimes you just bet on the wrong horse. I just had to bite the bullet and replace the Roku 3’s with NP’s.

3 Likes

@NorthlandTablo tip: You can use Google Cast to push WatchESPN to the Nexus Player from the app on your phone. Not as good as a native app, but a decent alternative if you don’t feel like switching inputs to the Roku.

Good suggestion, I hadn’t thought of that alternative. I will probably just keep the Roku 3’s hooked up, a quick survey of ebay sold items shows a used Roku 3 as being only worth $30 or so . . .

Tablo has been working ok with my Roku (in the living room) but I went ahead and ordered a NP from BestBuy. Will use in on my better and bigger TV in the basement. I’ve been watching BestBuy for several weeks now to see when they’d get more in stock. Almost bought a refurb off eBay yesterday for only a few dollars cheaper. Glad I waited.

1 Like

The Roku software update from December 15th seems to have fixed the lockup issues in the Roku Tablo app. Roku is now working great with Tablo, including fast forwarding. Woohoo!

2 Likes

So I did buy a Nvidia Shield and while it is very fast, I think I’m going to send it back. I need 3 things from my client devices; they need to work well with Tablo, Netflix, and Amazon Prime TV. Well the Shield passes 2 of those 3 requirements, but no Amazon Prime TV on Android TV. That eliminates the Nexus Player for me as well. It never even crossed my mind the Shield would not play well with Amazon Prime TV. Not until I tried to load the app did I find out.

In addition, it seems my Shield will periodically freeze during Live TV. I have to exit to the guide and choose the same channel from the guide again to get it to continue. I have tried both 5GHz and 2.4GHz but have the same issue. It is in the same place where my Roku 3 and Amazon Fire TV boxes were both placed. While I did have some issues with the Roku 3, moving that device closer to my wireless router (ASUS RT-AC68W 802.11ac Gigabit) as well as adding a microSD card has made the Roku 3 very functional and much faster. I never had any issues with the Amazon Fire TV box. I’m trying to avoid having to wire my entire house and prefer to use wifi. I may run a drop for the Tablo 4 tuner unit itself, but really prefer to use wifi for my clients.

So now I’ll start reading reviews and try to determine if I get another Roku3, a Roku 4, or another Amazon Prime TV box. I’m currently slanting towards the Amazon Fire TV as, at least for me, it has been problem free.