Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI

1. Will a network connected model be produced? I want to connect through app on my Roku.
  2. How large a hard drive will be supported?

I asked a similar question of @TabloSupport regarding whether the ATSC 3.0 Quad HDMI unit would at some future date be able to support in house streaming. Their response was that they hoped to add that function in the future if possible, but at this time they couldn’t guarantee that.

Tablo has stated that they have tested up to 8Tb drives on their existing line of dvr’s, so I would assume that the new model would also accommodate 8Tb drives. Other forum members have stated that they have successfully used up to 12Tb drives with no problems. So there may not be a limit on the size of harddrive.

The new ATSC 3.0 format generates files that are only one quarter the size of current files, so an 8Tb drive should hold a huge amount of recordings.

Is that true for 4K vs 1080i though? I mean, I can see 1080p HEVC vs 1080i MP4, but would think the 4K might still be larger (?)

I agree regarding 4K broadcasts, but currently there is very little actual 4K content being broadcast. My guess would be that in the next 2 or 3 years it will increase, but until then the majority of material being broadcasted on ATSC 3.0 will still be in HD or SD quality.

Like most, I’ll probably wait for a decent streaming ATSC 3.0 (that doesn’t try to do 4k).

If you believe the article.

Because H.265 compresses your data so much more efficiently, using it as your video compression tool will drop your bandwidth and storage requirements by roughly 50%. The table below compares the recommended bandwidth for H.264 vs. H.265 encoding.

FYI - these are our estimates for recording size for ATSC 3 content:

Versus current ATSC 1 content:

2 Likes

Versus Network Connected (ATSC 1.0):