Tablo ATSC 3.0 Plans 2021

That still is a tiny amount of money and a tiny number of users compared to the US and Canadian TV markets as a whole. I am glad that this project exists, as that company and user base will discover a lot of issues with ATSC 3.0. Hopefully they will discover if the content can even be recorded in the first place.

1 Like

And if you like toys and joined the kickstarter your unit is on a ship in the Pacific caught in a vortex.

How many currently? How many viewers? How ATSC 3.0 really is now, may not turn out to be how it is in a couple years. Not so much technology, but business model - pay per view OTA for example and broadcast internet. Where it ends up goes beyond having reception and a tuner.

Somethings I am an “early adopter”, and others I hold off on. I was one of the first to run Media Center PCs back in the early 2000’s (I think it was 2002 or 2003). Couldn’t even get HD at the time…:smiley:

I finally upgraded to HD in 2012 - the price of HD equipment plus the lack of HD programming didn’t make it worthwhile.

All that being said, until they have reasonable priced equipment AND the ATSC 3.0 channels (more specifically, something I don’t have now), I probably won’t invest day one. Especially when you have to consider the initial tuners and stations may have difficulties…Not really in the mood to pay a premium and be a beta tester.

KEYE is going to be the first in the Austin market - they have already delayed twice (August, then September, now October), and they are still tight lipped about what the plans are with the ATSC 3.0. They have CBS and TeleMundo (or is it Univision? I don’t watch either), and since CBS has very little 4K content, and no channels announced, and CBS has the best reception of all my channels - there is absolutely no reason to update.

Time will tell…It may be 2023-2025 before I adopt ATSC 3.0…Remember - Silicon Dust doesn’t have a “working model” on the market (they are developer’s editions - and still haven’t shipped last I read).

HD HomeRun isn’t marketed exclusively as an OTA DVR. Yes, they produce OTA products and DVR, it’s a part of their product line. I don’t believe it’s a straight line compare.

The business model for ATSC NextGenTV is still prototyping - Evoca Paid OTA TV Service Launches - Will it Kill Free OTA TV? From Antenna Man.

This company claims, we’re noting going to kill free OTA, but who knows who will follow.

The old NTSC television standard was deployed for over 50 years.

Now the National Association of Broadcasters is telling us that the ATSC 1 standard is to be abandoned after about 22 years.

The big improvement in ATSC 3 is supposed to the better quality audio and higher resolution video. If those 2 improvements were really important then why do broadcasters currently provide for 3 to 7 programming channels in addition to their main channel??? Those additional channels are limiting the bandwidth (resolution) in their main channel!

The program material on the major networks does not even require the resolution already available on ATSC 1. I am not going to watch any of their high resolution reality television if I can get access to reruns made over the last 65 to 70 years. (Reality TV is performers’ award programs, beauty contests, game shows, Survivor, Bachelor, Bachelorette, Big Brother, or Paid programming so bad that the broadcaster warns that it is not responsible for the content!)

Many television stations are not going to upgrade to this new standard until it is cost effective. Many of them waited until the last 2 or 3 years before converting from NTSC to ATSC 1 on line. And that change was a major improvement for their viewers.

This conversion to ATSC 3 is voluntary because the FCC would not make it mandatory. I wonder if the FCC is really willing to take a beating for pushing ATSC 3 on the public, especially if the change degrades ATSC 1 reception or its display? I have serious doubts about it.

In about 1990, the National Association of Broadcasters was whining that they could not compete with the higher resolution video programing that was becoming available. By about 2025 it will be whining that the streaming video providers have better content and they just can not compete!

I can only assume you didn’t signup for the hdhomerun quatro 4k kickstarter.

And it must really be hard to find broadcasts of TV shows made between 1950-1955. And many TV shows recorded in the late 1960’s and on were recorded on 35mm film. They probably have higher resolution then the NTSC standard.

When giant corporations tell me it’s “better for you”.I get very skeptical. They don’t spend profits to improve our experience.

I believe the FCC has shown disregard towards public opinion and extremely pro corporation considering it’s treatment of the internet.

Zippy,

I am not a candidate to purchase any equipment for ATSC 3.

There will be those prepared to believe that ATSC 3 will deliver what is being promised but I do not.

There were more programs filming by 1955. I suspect that the George Burns and Gracie Allen show could have been filming before that date. There was some kinescope around from the early 1950s but what I have seen is pretty awful and the producers of that time knew it.

Television broadcasters could deliver a better main channel today but they want more channels instead. More channels, means more advertising dollars. I do not believe that equation is going to change.

I entered Television Broadcast engineering in December 1970. They were using wide videotape which was still inadequate for archival purposes.

Changing from the NTSC system to ATSC 1 was a no brainer, and the FCC made the changeover mandatory with about a 10 year phase in. The FCC is not making the changeover from ATSC 1 to ATSC 3 mandatory which means that they have their doubts.

The viewing public will determine the fate of ATSC 3.

The US economy has been a disaster for working class people since about 1997. Only low interest home mortgage loans and rampant refinancing made it possible to hide the damage to the US economy. In 2007 the bankers realized that sometimes borrowers defaulted without making a single payment and financing rapidly dried up.

And after 2007 the full extent of the disaster was readily apparent to all who wished to see. Even .09% Fed Funds Rate was not low enough to stimulate the US economy out of the Great Recession. The Fed has tried to raise rates after 2015 and got up to 2.4% by July 2019 when the US economy began to sag again. Then Covid-19 caused the Fed to drop rates to .09% and the Federal government has been sending cash to Americans! That still has not been good enough to hide the current and previous damage.

So what percentage of the US population is ready to buy the expensive equipment required for receiving ATSC 3 between 2021 to 2025??? Will that smaller percentage of viewers be enough to cover the TV Station’s capital cost of the upgrade to ATSC 3???

I am very pessimistic. Many will decide that ATSC 1 is good enough.

Actually it’s being marketed as Next Gen TV - giant corporations marketing strategies may manipulate the viewing public to determine things. Marketing is powerful to a populous which doesn’t spend too much time thinking for themselves… sadly.

The ones saving thousands of dollars not subscribing to cable? Now have all that “cord cutting savings” to buy new TVs? Agree, the primary OTA viewership, upgrading their home theater equipment, just for OTA broadcast?! but if it’s marketed right, they’ll be willing to accept pay-per-view OTA as “new normal”.

I will note, much of your comparison and analogies are based on antiquated and obsolete technologies and dated era which unlikely will be played out with the same scenario.

“The ones saving thousands of dollars not subscribing to cable? Now have all that “cord cutting savings” to buy new TVs? Agree, the primary OTA viewership, upgrading their home theater equipment, just for OTA broadcast?! but if it’s marketed right, they’ll be willing to accept pay-per-view OTA as “new normal”.”

So you believe that these cable cutters will use the savings to pay for pay-per-view OTA programming??? NO.

The answer is NO because they are cutting the cable to have more money to spend on the necessities of life. And that behavior is increasing as time goes by.

“I will note, much of your comparison and analogies are based on antiquated and obsolete technologies and dated era which unlikely will be played out with the same scenario.”

Could you please explain exactly what you mean by that sentence???

Maybe more will be known since the 2020 NAB was suppose to happen October 19-20.

Most of the major OTA broadcasters usually have someone give a speech.

I don’t want to keep draging this too so far off topic

Your comment was who will be buying equipment. As for paying for content, there is one company using new ATSC 3.0 along with internet to supply VOD and channels not otherwise available OTA - https://evoca.tv/ - for a fee. It’s not something I’m in the market for, but I’m not a typical consumer, so I couldn’t say if it’ll saturate the market.

You use comparisons decades old, how things were as how they will continue. I’ve seen it before, I know what’s going to happen because I’ve lived through it. Generations have changed, generations never knowing life with out internet access drive your economy. They have a short attention span and have “influencers” tell them what’s what and hash tag their life online.

Many cut the cable when they discovered free HD TV over the air - free! Due to new government mandates. There’s a generation beyond boomers which don’t watch TV on a single screen, cable subscriptions pointless beyond the cost. Viewership and traditions have evolved and changed.

djk44883,

That entire comment was directed to the comment by zippy and that was the context of my response.

I was not comparing kinescope or other other video archival method to ATSC 1 or ATSC 3.

Beginning with the paragraph below I was again trying provide some context for my belief that ATSC 3 might be ignored by large segments of the working class in the US. And that was in a comment directed to zippy.
“Changing from the NTSC system to ATSC 1 was a no brainer, and the FCC made the changeover mandatory with about a 10 year phase in. The FCC is not making the changeover from ATSC 1 to ATSC 3 mandatory which means that they have their doubts.”

You wrote: “Many cut the cable when they discovered free HD TV over the air - free!”.

Free over the air HDTV was never a big secret. The decision to drop cable has always been about the constant yearly increases in cable rates. The tipping point varies by family income but there is and always was a tipping point.

You and others believe that ATSC 3 is headed for an unbridled successful changeover from ATSC 1. That is possible IF they broadcast a signal which is backward compatible to ATSC 1, with no degradation in quality. Otherwise there will be a backlash from the viewing public!

You and others believe that most working class families can afford to buy any equipment necessary to receive ATSC 3. I do not believe that to be so in our current economic environment.

We will have the answer by about 2025 or earlier if this new system is not fully backward compatible with ATSC 1! I can hardly wait!

you might consider sending a private message to discobot, he’ll show you how to specifically reply and quote messages to avoid misunderstandings. As well as arbitrary bold lettering.

There is/was generations unaware of over-the-air broadcast television. Cable rates are only part. Many milinials and genZ just don’t sit and watch a single large screen regularly. Mobile devices are their new “TV” while watching content streamed from the internet. Cable and network programing is loosing it’s relevance to those under at least 50. They have cable, because it’s their internet provider… unaware of what channels they may have.

You misunderstand me then. I do believe it will be strongly marketed, stoopid 'Mericans will do what their told and it may become something. ATSC 1 and 3 can co-exsist ARK Multicasting Successfully Tests ATSC 1.0, 3.0 from Same Equipment Stack

Corporations control the federal government, including the FCC… it makes no decisions, it’s told what to do by the corporations employing those advising the FCC “leadership”.

Haven’t the Korean TV manufactures been selling TV’s with built in ATSC 3.0 for 2-3 years?

Haven’t Samsung, LG, and Sony committed to providing the U.S. market with TV’s containing ATSC 3.0 tuners?

Wasn’t the mandatory conversion from NTSC to ATSC 1.0 considered a problem for any number of reasons. Not the least of which was because being mandatory required the government provide/pay for conversion boxes. It seems it was a $25 coupon.

Since 2018 tuner manufactures have provided tuners that support both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0.

If anything ATSC 3.0 might kill itself. The PLP stacks allow for many demodulation combos. And while that might be functional for a single tuner TV it adds additional levels of complexity for multi-tuner DVR products.

Of course you can read the hdhomerun ATSC 3.0 forum to see what pops up.

Austin, TX (where I live) now has ATSC 3.0 stations. I hope Tablo starts looking at ATSC 3.0. I don’t want to change my DVR because Tablo ignores the technology. Yes I know the existing ATSC 1 will be around for 5 more years.

djk44883,

This is not the first time that you have contrived to misunderstand me.

Please direct your trash to others, and leave me alone!

And I will ignore you.

1 Like

beastman,

Is H&I showing an extreme compressed picture on your Tablo? On my TV’s - it is fine. On the tablo, normally I have a 3" sidebar on most SD stations. H&I has a 6" sidebar for the 16:9 programs and 9" sidebar for 4:3 programs - really frustrating.

nope watching monk right now full screen.