Tablo ATSC 3.0 Plans 2021

I am not opposed to “pay TV”. I purchase MLB.TV every year, because I watch every game my team plays. It has value to me. There are channels that I watch - my problem is paying for hundreds of channels I don’t watch. And with cable/satellite, you have to buy the “max package” to get the channels I want, and pay for hundreds that I don’t want.

Perhaps if there was " à la carte" programming, I would be more interested. So for now, it is OTA with MLB.TV.

1 Like

I agree, I’m not against paying for programming. (I am against pirating, if it’s worth watching, it should be worth paying for.)

I subscribe to streaming services, like MLB.TV, for specialized programing and/or VOD. Unlike cable, pay and take what we give you - all of it.

I fear OTA, starts out small, get comfortable with, “sure we always pay to watch” and eventually we’ll have to subscribe to watch local news, which will actually be centralized to save money aka increase profits.

The primary networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS) by law have to broadcast their programming OTA for free. They can add sub channels, that carry programming for a cost. I seriously doubt you will ever have to pay for the “local news”.

What I can see, is programming like sports that aren’t on the primary channel (for example, I live in Austin, TX, and the Longhorns may be playing on ESPN, but not on ABC, and the game could be carried on the sub channel (subscription required). Some of the “premium cable stations” may also add on programming as a sub channel (possibly pay to decode).

Probably, but did you ever think you (or those around you, if not personally) would be watching TV on their phone? Did you ever think news papers would become obsolete? Did you ever think people would have a 60" TV hanging on their wall? using the internet to watch video?

Yeah, sure, but the local news/OTA part is a little different in that there are laws governing it’s existence. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, cool. FCC wouldn’t change those. It’s not like giant corporations control the government.

Years later regulations and laws regarding OTA and internet use and access won’t change just like OTA… hasn’t changed :neutral_face:

It may not happen quickly, I’d like to believe it never will. In the U.S. not much happens unless a minority can generate large profits :frowning:

I’m not disagreeing it can, and probably WILL change in the future, I’m saying you aren’t comparing apples and apples there.

Got it, but my intended comparison was in reference to things you never thought would happen.

Never thought I’d “dress up” to go shopping :mask:

Who do you have your cellphone with? Do you want to change? Tmobile gives us MLB.TV for FREE for the last I forget how many years. if you are a veteran, there is a plan, if you are 55+ there is a plan. Also FREE Netflix with 2 or more voice lines per account.

I was going by Uncle Fred’s blog. Guess he didn’t know about the reschedule.

1 Like

I use AT&T (it is the only cell company that gives good reception in my neck of the woods), and they give military discounts that make a good deal.

The reschedule was updated on KEYE’s website on the day that the change was supposed to happen (actually, it was updated about 11:00AM, after rescans at 10:00AM showed nothing was changing).

Is KEYE going to be the first one updating or KVUE and KTBC too? What about the other Nexstar stations? For some reason I get duplicate COZI and some others. Must be where I live (Rundberg / North Lamar area) and my antenna.

I haven’t come across any information regarding the other stations conversion. I know that KEYE and KXAN have both been doing quite a bit of “maintenance” on their towers. But they aren’t putting out a lot of new information about what they are doing, or timelines for conversion.

https://evoca.tv/ is set to go “live” 9-1 for $20/mon (through end of year).

It looks like instead of a cable box, you get an “antenna box” and pay for a service.
There’s no cable and, for now, it’s lower cost. They don’t provide internet access, but required, so to be fair this should be included. Is Next Gen TV really going to be better?

Thanks for sharing. That appears to be a cable service that uses ATSC 3.0 to deliver all their content, which is pretty interesting. Is there really that much bandwidth in this technology to send out so many channels from one source?

They are really vague. They imply you get “Next Gen TV”… then information VOD - stream channels through their device. The FAQ>

Do I need an Internet connection?

Yes, you will need an Internet connection to access your Evoca TV service, though most live and prime time TV shows will be delivered to your home over-the-air without using much Internet bandwidth. We recommend minimum Internet speeds of 5 Mbps.

“most” shows delivered OTA without using “much” bandwidth. What does this actually mean? Would you be getting Next Gen TV …or OTT service with an antenna added on?

Yes, this is early days. Buy it’s likely the beginning of things to come. It’s unlikely an ASTC 3.0 DVR will be as useful as they are now :frowning:

Has Tablo started Beta testing ATSC 3.0 hardware? I see that HDHomeRun has a kickstarter campaingn for their new Quatro 4k hardware running around $199. I live in the Orlando area and get over 80 plus OTA channels and now have ATSC 3.0 channels as well. I’m looking forward to start Beta testing and seeing how well ATSC 3.0 really is.

No real updates on this since our last check-in. We’re mostly focused on our ATSC 1.0 products at the moment.

Given the voluntary rollout is still going slower than anticipated because of the virus, parts availability, etc. we’re not feeling the need to rush an ATSC 3.0 product to the market. There wouldn’t be much to watch with it anyways.

1 Like

This become a lot more “real” when there are tons of TVs on the market with ATSC 3 capable tuners (and ideally, people are actually buying them).

Right now, my guess is that most people have “spent their fortunes” on their 5+ year TV upgrades already. Obviously, for some, the money flows infinitely though…

What is interesting is for the HD HomeRun ATSC project on kickstart they have over 2782 backers committing over $601,200 dollars so it looks like people have and are spending money on this.