Tablo and my Router Disagree About its IP Address

Your DHCP server indicates that you have 3 static and 19 leased. I assume you have verified that there are no address conflicts with those 19.

And I’ve have used multiple tablos for over 5 years and since I don’t use remote connect never had a reason to use static addresses. Never had a discovery issue.

These are some apps that save the previously used address to reuse on the next connect if the app is exited versus disconnected.

Yes. I double checked there are no conflicts with the static IP’s. I will reset the Talblo and see if disconnecting rather than xing out helps over the weekend. Hopefully it will. If not I will try to talk to support Monday.

And your static IPs are outside of the DHCP range?

1 Like

Once you specify a MAC address to reserve an IP address, the router automatically handles that. I have my Tablo at 192.168.1.3, which is part of my DHCP range. Since it is reserved, my router won’t assign that address to anything else.

1 Like

Not to be nitpicky, but… yeah this is a little nitpicky…

When you “reserve” an IP address within your DHCP range, it’s still being handled by DHCP. If you give a device an IP outside the DHCP range, that’s static. I set my DHCP range to cover about 50 IP addresses. Like… x.x.x.5 to x.x.x.55. Anything I want to have a static IP, the IP gets assigned at the device, not the router, and is outside of that range. This takes any suspicion of a router/DHCP issue away from the router in terms of addressing.

sometimes the little things matter the most (not always)…
Never forgot the explicit understanding reserved lease and static IP -

Now just to spread the understanding, an RJ45, wired ethernet connection in NOT a hardwired connection. It’s removable, not a fixed “part of the appliance” connection.
:hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

By any chance do you have a second dhcp server on your lan? One for 192.168.2.x and the other for 73.6.116.x

The graphic does designate DHCP Server - LAN2 suggesting there may be LAN1.

Confirm, this is on exact same network? Not mobile or a different home network? “Tabloe shows… private” is this an iphone client thing? Web app list “Server Host:” presumable the same, but sometimes words matter.

You have 2 subnet’s? Presuming this is edgerouter is also the wireless access point, witch is the wifi setup on? WAN connected to network switch? It doesn’t have a dedicated WAN port? for use as a gateway?

Is the working wifi device assigned an IP address? If not, and it works, have to tried nu-reserveing clients and just letting DHCP assign then to see if it works on it’s own?

What IPs is your wireless handing out? 192.168.2.x? or 192.168.1.x?

wait wait wait… you have 2 routers? Cable internet? Tell me again in case I missed it… Your internet provider supplies a “cable modem”? AND you have an Edgerouter?

1 Like

To answer some of the questions asked:

Yes there is technically a LAN 1 and LAN 2, LAN 1 is port zero (192.168.1.xxx) LAN 2 is (192.168.2.xxx) (ports 2,3,4). However, I have nothing in LAN1 and the port is empty.

To be clear all of my network is on LAN 2 including the wifi. Wifi is 3 Unifi AP LR’s set up around house wired into the netgear switch. The Unifi AP LR’s all have DHCP IP addresses on LAN 2 within the 192.168.2.xxx.

The edgerouter is a pure router. No wifi. The ports on the edgrouter are very fluid and configurable. Theoretically I could make any combination of LANs and and one WAN port. The way I have it now with two LANs laid out on the ports as they are is just basically the default configuration.

One router. The edgerouter. One cable modem. The network goes: Coax (Comcast) > Cable modem (Surfboard) > Edgrouter > neatgear switch conncets to many devices. Some device (including the Tablo) are directly plugged into LAN ports on the edgerouter itself.

No. I have absolutely no idea what crevice the Tablo is pulling that IP address out of, but I don’t believe it is one that I have a DHCP for.

That type of stuff is a bit outside my skill level

Yes the iPhone client refers to the same IP address two different ways. Here is how it looks after the reset. Both Ip addresses change to the weird one when things go wrong.

Any yes all wifi and wired clients are on the exact same network with DHCP 192.168.2.xxx from edgerouter.

Yes the iPhone has an IP address 192.168.2.41

Since you have an edgerouter you can use the cli and run tcpdump looking for traffic on port 67 and 68.

But to catch it all you need to run a packet sniffer on the switch port connected to the tablotv. If you happen to have an old school twisted pair repeater that would work. I use a Pitop and two usb nics set up in bridging mode as a packet sniffer.

I use the ERlite and comcast.

For something rather simple, you can use Firefox. Web Developer > Network The network console shows much the same network traffic between the browser and server. GET and response, both raw (hex raw) and formatted. JSON formatted nicely as well.

It’s not exactly the same, but it does provide some insight on the traffic between the browser and server.

I don’t have a SurfBoard modem any more. Spectrum is using the Technicolor devices here now. But when I DID have a surfboard, it had a DHCP server function.
I’d really like to understand why you need 2 routers. Most people in a home setting should avoid that setup like the plague because most people have absolutely no clue how to manage multiple IP subnets and the connections between them. Not saying that’s you, but I can’t begin to tell you how many people I’ve had to help “fix” their home network and the fix was to get rid of that second router which they had misconfigured and simply replace it with a switch.
Also, if your EdgeRouter has a port configured as 192.168.1.0 then you have 2 subnets, whether there is a device connected on it or not. Both using the /24 notation meaning they’re basically “Large LAN”.
The Tablo won’t magically make stuff up and pull that 73.6.116.x IP out of its butt. It’s coming from somewhere in your configuration.
If that EdgeRouter serves no purpose other than that of a switch, then it should be swapped out for a switch.
You should have a WAN port and a LAN port on the Surfboard. What IPs are those?
What is the gateway address being handed out by your DHCP server?
If you’re going to maintain both xxx.xxx.1.xxx/24 subnet AND xxx.xxx.2.xxx/24 subnets, then in order to route them properly there must be a common connection where they meet, using an xxx.xxx.?.?/16 to encompass both subnets and be able to speak to both of them.

He’s got a Surfboard MODEM. Not a router. The rest of your post is irrelevant based on that.

I have an ERlite and a surfboard modem. Yes the surfboard modem has a DHCP server but it is only used if the cable network is down and then its a 192.168.100.x address.

If your tablo is getting an external address and you do not have a DHCP server on your lan that provides it then maybe its getting it from the WAN. And that should not happen unless you have something really odd in your firewall setup. You might want to consider posting a query in the edegrouter community forum.https://community.ui.com

1 Like

If he’s got cable (and I don’t know that yet) he’s got a router. A cable “modem” is not a modem. It doesn’t modulate/demodulate. It’s a router. It routes from LAN to WAN. Even the cheap ones with just a cable connection and a single network port are routing from the LAN (network port) to the WAN (cable connection to ISP)

I have owned many cable modems over the years. Router functionality is not required for DOCSIS compatibility. And yes, they do modulate and demodulate. From analog RF (usually QAM256) to Ethernet.

Yes, many cable companies provide “combo units” that are modems and routers and wifi access points. But you don’t have to use a combo unit. I own a Surfboard SB6190 which I used with an Edgerouter-lite (now a UniFi USG) and multiple UniFi access points. That Surfboard was certainly not acting as a router in any way. It only had the RF connector and ONE ethernet port on it.

You may be correct, but with all the interchanging terminology, where specifically do you get Surfboard model to determine it’s modem capable only?

If so, there still appears to be “advanced” networking involved with multiple networks and WAN on the same switch as LAN, as opposed to a dedicated WAN port for a gateway.

It may be just fine… just not a “typical consumer” setup. So it my not be all so irrelevant based on the over complexities.