Tablo 4, picture freezes

I have the new Tablo 4. I’m using Roku and wi if setup. I’ve had the legacy Tablo which worked fine under my set up, however with the new Tablo the picture runs a few seconds, then freezes but the audio keeps playing. Very annoying and makes recordings pointless. I’m betting I’m not the only one having this problem.
Very buggy system. Needs a half a dozen updates. Already posted about he image on my main TV being squashed into the upper quadrant. On my older TV, it fills the screen. Unlike the legacy version, the new Tablo doesn’t have settings to adjust anything.
So far I’ve no reply to the support email I sent yesterday.

I have the exact same problems: For the freeze. I do not have a solution, but I think I know what is happening. My Tablo HDMI is connected to my LAN with an Ethernet cable and my spectrum service is 300MPS down and 20 MPS up. When I play back a recording on my Tablo, it works fine, but when I try to playback via a ROKU to another TV, I get the video freeze and Audio is OK. I think the problem is that HDMI recordings require a lot of network bandwidth to send to a ROKU device, and the streaming traffic is sent to my router and then on to the ROKU. However, the router also tries to send the stream out through my Spectrum Modem to the Internet. Since the upload speed is bandwidth limited, I think this is forcing he TABLO to steam too slowly. My guess is that I need a way to block the outbound stream from my TABLO from going out over to the internet without blocking all outbound traffic from my TABLO. I may try to call Spectrum to see if I can change a setting only my Cable Modem.

For the Picture being “squashed” into the upper left corner of the screen. This has something to do with the screen resolution of the TV channel. When I am watching an HD TV Channel, the Roku/TV displays on the full screen, but when I watch a station with less than HD, the image is “squashed”. I tried a new ROKU Express and the problem goes away, but I cannot resolve the issue with an earlier version of the ROKU Express.

@Tomm When you are playing back on your home network, your Roku and Tablo should be passing the streaming traffic across your network, not utilizing your internet connection.

The only thing besides guide and firmware updates that would be using your connection to the internet would be Tablo Connect (out-of-home streaming) and the HDMI Tablo models don’t support Tablo Connect.

1 Like

I agree with your comments, but how does my router know not to try to push the stream out to the internet? I looked at my router settings, but was not sure if anything needs to change. Could there be some setting in my cable modem?

It’s all based on the IP addresses. If devices are using your local IP address (typically 192.168.xxx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx) to talk to each other, then it’s just between devices. That speed will be based on the type of connection, but even basic 100Mbit should be fine and even an old router should have no issues handling those speeds.

Mine freezes occasionally and then goes back to the beginning of the show. Very annoying. I had to take my Roku TV off a wired connection (same as the wired connection to the Tablo) to get it to even recognize the Tablo. Hope there will be a software fix for this. Really hate to go back to the Tivo.

Because the device demanding the video isn’t outside your home network and across the internet somewhere … sorry but this idea is a non-starter.

If there are buffering issues, it’s because either the WiFi/network bandwidth you have isn’t enough (or you could have local interference from other WiFi networks, reducing your speed), or your device(s) don’t have enough power to keep up with the stream.

I have found that some tablo apps seem to need more bandwidth than others (FireTV/Roku/browser/tablet apps etc).

I have the new 4th gen, hooked to router by ethernet on an older Roku tv. If i try to watch a show in progress while its still recording, the picture will freeze a few minutes into it, but the sound keeps going. It doesnt happen happen on a new Google TV in the same house.

It’s not a buffering or an internet speed issue.

I’m saying that because what you’re describing happens to me almost every morning with nothing else in the house using up any bandwidth. I’m running 100mbps.

Not sure if it’s a brand/age issue either.
The TV it happens to me on is a Phillips/Roku that I bought about 3+ years ago that’s in my bedroom.
First smart TV I bought as a tester to see how this streaming stuff works.
So far it’s only happening in the early morning hours, around 4am-ish.

I haven’t tested this out on my 2023 TCL/Roku in the living room …yet.
I’ll come back and reply when I do.
Not sure why it happens.

Here’s another weird Tablo tale on that same TV…
I wake at 4am and put it on a 30 minute show.
I fall back asleep and wake up an hour later and that same 30 min show is STILL playing.
I still have this TV hooked directly to the outside antenna so I pop over to that and it’s on schedule, I go back to the Tablo app and it’s still showing the other show.
I hit fast forward all the way to the end and now it’s back to the regular schedule …???

I am have a Tablo 4th gen with an external drive and FireTV stick and I have issues with the picture freezing. Also once it happens it is hard to get the Tablo to respond to the remote and once it does the Tablo goes into reboot mode. I can go back to the show that froze and it will pick up where it froze and continues with no issues. This is a recurring issue and not just a ROKU problem. Seems to have started when I updated the latest firmware twice as instructed by Tablo support.

I have the exact same problem but only on my ROKU Express. I also have a ROKU express 4k and it works fine. I can switch them between the 2 tvs and the problem follows the Express.

My setup is the Tablo 4, TCL Roku TV, all hard wired/Ethernet. This (video freezes while audio continues) is one of many issues I have with my brand new Tablo (that has all the device driver updates). The only difference in my experience is, instead of going back to the beginning of the recording, it goes forward to real time. It happened again while I was typing this message… Thanks in advance for any advice.

(Other issues off the top of my head: Tablo shuts down and sends me to the Roku home screen. Guide won’t load farther than the next day. Very, very slow to populate the metadata on recorded shows and guide.)

The picture freeze is annoying, but easy to fix. When it happens, pause and resume and all is OK.
(Until the next freeze, of course.)

Not an easy fix for everyone. For me it usually results in Tablo rebooting itself and may happen several times before I can actually watch what I am attempting to view.

The behavior may depend on what equipment is being used with the Tablo 4th gen etc…

The Tablo rebooting or the Tablo app rebooting?

1 Like

I think the Tablo app. How would I know which is doing the reboot and which had the hiccup?

Did you all do all the updates? Tablo and Roku App Update?

Couple things here… From my experience with my network and Tablo setup. If you have frozen video, but audio continues… that could be a low RF signal coming in. You are the edge of low signal. My tablo showed that I had 3 green dots during scanning. BY chances, I hooked up a small flat screen TV to my Tablo Antenna, and it showed low signal on most of my channels. I had to move my antenna to get better signal.

With that said, MOST people say, this or that worked with this antenna… But ALL tuners are not built the same. Some are weaker / stronger or more sensitive.

I would get booted out of the APP when I had this low signal issue too.

Once I moved my antenna and got better signal… ALL this went away.

With that said… If you have good signal (which I don’t think you do) then you need to look at your network. Cheap dumb switches can cause issues. Also, ISP provided gateways, some do not have the chipset / horsepower to push that much data across. 12-15mbps doesn’t seem like a lot. But flowing data between 2 devices internally does suck up some resources. Even worse when it has a cheap chipset in them.

Again, same with wireless… make sure you have good signal to that client. If you have a $30 Walmart wireless router, expect $30 worth of junk powering your network.

1 Like

I battled this on my own home network… Which I have enterprise grade hardware in my home. I had to tweak it to accommodate the Tablo.

1 Like

One more time for your mind (Nas reference)… I had these exact same issues you all were having. Now I have none, UNTIL a thunderstorm comes through, and my signal gets all jacked up. Thats besides the point… I had to look into my RF signal and my own network.

1 Like

You have lots of theories but you are barking up the wrong tree. This is happening with OTA channels with all green dots and with FAST channels. Happens with recordings too. Nothing to do with bad reception or networking as NONE of my other devices have issues at all! That included the ONN device and Amazon Recast.

The issue is with the Tablo 4th gen not working well with the FireTv 4k gen1 sitck. Once again nothing to do with the Network or Reception. I can go into a recording and have it stutter and kick out to a reboot and then go back in and it play fine. Or I may have to try several times but it will eventually play fine.

No way this is at all network or reception issue.