(COMPLETED) Surround Sound

@luker

Roku 3 can still do 5.1 passthrough even with the new firmware update. Netflix outputs 5.1 audio as DD+ so your AVR has to be able to decide DD+.

@theuser86 my AVR does not have DD+  :(

But like I said my Smart TV and PS3 can play Netflix properly, so no biggy for now.

Yes that is cause they have Dolby chips in them that convert the DD+ to DD. The Roku would be more expensive if it has to pay Dolby for their chips.

My TV does not support DD+ at all, however Samsung and Netflix work together on the built in app. So my guess is that Netflix sends only a DD stream to that client.  Would be surprised if the PS3 had DD+ support as well.  

When you have Sony or Samsung telling you how it will work I think you respond differently than when a company like Roku is talking to you.  Although I’m positive that the Roku XD I had tested did DD and not DD+ cause the amp I tested that with also does not do DD+ and the signal was definitely 5.1.

Still mostly happy with the Roku 3, but should have kept the XD.

Funny non-Tablo update.  I downgraded my Roku3 firmware due to an ongoing issue and all of a sudden the Netflix app shows movies and TV shows have 5.1 again.  Can’t hear a thing because somehow the Roku3 won’t pass the sound through if I have it configured for Surround Sound.  Configuring for Stereo lets the sound through but no 5.1.

So obviously this is purely a software issue that Netflix and Roku have in cohouts with each other to force DD+ on the masses.  Sad really.

I am simply leaving a comment because im not a tablo owner yet for the ONLY reason because it wont record in surround sound. I own 1 of every streaming device out there so honestly im good to go on the streaming. Just need the tablo to do surround sound.

I’m on the edge off purchasing a TabloTV but the lack of support for surround sound has me second guessing myself. I would be disappointed if I purchased one and support for surround sound never happens.

@Jmoak

Then wait but I think it’ll be a long wait, there are more important features to be added per number of user requests.

I understand and truly appreciate Tablo listening to its user’s for requests. That’s actually the number one reason I’m considering one. However, surround sound is such a core feature of media devices these days that I’m surprised it even needs to be requested.

Most people do not have AVRs for TV watching, just stereo HDTV.

Fair enough, just putting my vote in for surround sound.

I’d prefer SAP over AC3, both really both :slight_smile:

Another vote for 5.1.

Most people do not have AVRs for TV watching, just stereo HDTV.

I may have to dispute that :smiley:

Almost everyone I know uses an AVR, even my parents who are in their 70s.  In fact, of all my personal friends I can’t think of any who don’t use an AVR for TV viewing.  Wait, there is one, because her kids stole the AVR for the basement TV.
I understand and truly appreciate Tablo listening to its user's for requests. That's actually the number one reason I'm considering one. However, surround sound is such a core feature of media devices these days that I'm surprised it even needs to be requested.

If you need surround “now”, I would suggest the Tivo. Either the $50 OTA model or the $150 OTA/Cable Model. It’ll cost you more than a Tablo in the long run but it gives you surround, live/cable tv, apps (Vudu, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix)

AC3 5.1 surround is quite desirable. Though, I hope it hasn’t been lost to previous pages that surround sound is very much possible with the TabloTV. The stereo audio channel likely has encoded in it the broadcast Dolby Surround. Your AVR is also very much likely to support this and can separate the channels.

It is not 5.1 surround, but you should be able to get Dolby Surround – all the rage in the 90’s! Who remembers the beginning of The Simpsons credits…

music The Simpsons music
…at the bottom of the screen…
[Dolby Surround where available]

I just bought this thing and it does not install using PLEX and the TABLO plugin.  Now I am hearing it doesn’t do 5.1 or even surround sound?  Might be sending this back pretty quickly…

@marjamar

Plex support is unofficial. It is a plugin not written by the Tablo developers. The website clearly states this fact.

For setup:

Is there seriously not surround sound support yet?! I can’t believe I didn’t see this before, and this might cause me to return my TabloTV if we don’t have a progress update soon…

@marjamar

Plex support is unofficial. It is a plugin not written by the Tablo developers. The website clearly states this fact.

For setup:
http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/201766933-Chapter-4-First-Time-Setup

I do believe alot of the apps that use tablo are 3rd party.  Also, there was a very large logo on tablotv.com of the tablo app for plex.  So, normal folks would have to believe what they see on a company website – Yes? 

I did get it working with plex and the tablo app for it.  So, that is not longer the concern, but not having 5.1 or even surround sound is.  Also, I am a member on AVS forums and having a look around trying to find out how to get tablo working in plex, I came across a post over there by someone representing tablo.  I was in regards to getting into a pre-production buyers list.  Anyway, not too far into that I found this post from the tablo guy saying they would have surround sound (or maybe it was 5.1) upgraded in firmware for this very first production run.  This was about a year ago.  Seems to me tablo has had enough time for this to come out, if it IS going to come out.  My guess is, it won’t or can’t with this current version. 

I don’t like misleading.  I own a few businesses myself and have never mislead anyone by intent.  I sure hope I am wrong about what is happening here.

-Rodger