(COMPLETED) Surround Sound

What did you say? :wink:

1 Like

One shill bumping 20 posts does not indicate a lot of interest.

2 Likes

Those threads were among the most popular on the forums, look at the combined number of posts. You must be new around here if you don’t think it’s a popular feature request.

There is an obnoxious type of poster who joins the forum for a few weeks, who:

1. Gets obsessed with one problem (and doesn’t seem really all that interested in getting it fixed or using an alternative),

2. Attaches himself to a set of threads and posts 20-30 times a day obsessively hammering at one problem,

3. Declares after a week that Nuvyyo management has to get its act together,

4. Then threatens to leave for Tivo,

5. Blames the forum community for not wallowing in his misery,

6. Makes a grand departure,

7. Comes back one final time to tell us how great the Tivo world is.

Interestingly one doesn’t find Tablo users at Tivo forums doing this act. You’d almost think this is a Tivo corporate strategy to send shills this way. A little too predictable. We should be getting another one of those in a week or so…:unamused:

4 Likes

You forgot the wife and kids factor. The wife just has to have the Tablo identical to her DirecTV experience and won’t cut the cord (not his) until and unless Tablo clones itself as a DirecTV box. It’s the wife of course…

1 Like

Dude, this one is true.
Took my wife 3 months of withdrawls before she was happy.

It’ll never happen, just get used to DPL2

1 Like

There must be a technical issue here.

I wish the developers of Tablo would shed some light on this. If that’s the case, would it be possible for Tablo to enable a … Non-trascode feature maybe under an advanced setting? Just save the raw OTA steam to disk for us enthusiast, that use Tablo Ripper etc. to be able to pull the un-altered MPEG-2 stream? This way we can keep AC3? I would think that something along those lines would be possible, and satisfy the enthusiast even more so that use MCEbuddy/Plex etc anyways.

Any help retaining the original MPEG-2 stream with AC3 would be appreciated.

2 Likes

Can we get a Tablo Representative response please?

They might respond, but frankly this question is asked so many times on so many threads and they’ve answered it so many times… that… well… they might not answer… you know?

With the existing device you will never see the epensive non-streamable mpeg2 streams (an oxymoron). That’s a given.

However, they have said that there might be a way to do 5.1. Myself, with my own technical knowledge, I say “no”. And so far it has been an effective “no”.

I swear there has been official response on this issue from Tablo in this thread. Too many posts to scrol through.

This was posted in Aug 2015.

Time and hours from chip providers? So they must be talking the ASIC’s SIP encoder(s). Which is why I asked about retaining original MPEG2 stream.

I find it hard to believe that an non re-encoded stream (untouched MPEG2) can’t simply be saved to disk, but perhaps not?

Well… a few things would be required. Sure, save to disk (takes lots of space… but sure… can be done).

But… does it make sense to do that if Tablo makes no provision for retrieval of it?

Sure… there are 3rd party community things that could be augmented for this maybe, but I think if Tablo were to do this, they’d want there to be a way to get at the data somehow, and that’s something else they’d have to write.

I just think it’s not exactly what this Tablo generation model was all about, so very very very unlikely.

And this is the ONLY reason I have not bought one yet. I want the 5.1.

Guess I just keep getting torrents, and /or TiVo

Just have way to much invested for 2 channel audio…

You’ll get older, and not be able to hear the difference.
Just speaking from experience. :wink:

1 Like

Im already old !! LOL

This is why it would be nice if it was listed under an advance/expert (even state not recommend) feature. Possibly with a support link explanation. Looking a the “TabloRipper” thread, its quit obvious that a lot of people would appreciate the option. It would produce less heat, consume less power, improve MCEbuddy re-ecode/trans-code quality, add surround sound support, and make more people than you realize happy. Yes it might consume a little more space, but the extra space is a non issue for us advanced users…

I was once those quite sideline Tablo thread readers, I’ve upgraded to participant in recognition that a lot of us want this support, yet are too lazy to even ask.

So now I’m adding myself to the list of customers asking for AC3 support, yet stating that we would still prefer non-native AC3 support, in recognition that native AC3 support most likely will never surface.

Please Tablo, don’t you think it would be nice if those searching the threads for AC3 support, actually ran into a viable option for AC3 vs a flat NO?

2 Likes

I vote this!

I use my Homeworx for recording programs where 5:1 matters most like musical specials, etc. For most of my viewing I don’t miss it.