Support says I need a new modem what models do you like?

I have a technicolor modem/router combo with Wow internet. Everything works great except for port forwarding. I can’t access my Tablo outside of my house.

A conversation with Tablo support failed to solve my port forwarding issue and the tech said I would need a new modem. This isn’t so bad, because it will save me $10 a month on my internet bill.

What modem/router combos have people had good success with (especially wow customers)?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

I only use a modem, an Arris 6190. I found this page which looks like WOW’s supported modem list with a link to reviews. I’m not a WOW customer, I use spectrum, but the modem setup process was actually all on the ISP’s end. It was plug in Coax and power, put ethernet to router, wait, and… call spectrum, because they always need you to call them! Of course, it was a problem on their end, because they couldn’t actually do the complete set up from the ‘set-up’ page, but the call only lasted around 5 minutes to fix it, after 15 of hold.

From what I see, the comparable Arris model number for the same router but with WiFi would be the “SBG7600AC2”, but honestly all of their lineup is great, and their configuration page lets you really get into the nitty gritty.

Arris pretty widely supported too, so if you change ISPs to another broadband supplier, it would probably still work.

1 Like

We are “Smarter Broadband” cable customers. They were charging us a monthly fee for using their combination Modem/Router.
We decided to break the link.
We looked for compatible Modems with our ISP and there was a pretty good sized list.
Bottom line:

Split the Modem and Router functionality into two separate boxes. Buy a compatible modem that your ISP will support. And then buy your own high quality router to connect your own local subnet. No more router rental fees… No modem rental fees.
It totally frees up your router capability and performance choices.
And…

Almost all routers support UPNP. Enable that in the router and you don’t have to do any port forwarding nonsense. The router and the Tablo will figure that out on their own.
You’ll be able to watch your Tablo remotely now.

Also a fan of Arris modems (used to be branded Motorola too). Find one that is compatible with your ISP - they can be found pretty cheaply new and used, and unless you have very high speed service, you can use the lowest-capacity one that your ISP says is compatible.

The big distinction is DOCSIS 3.0 versus 3.1 - ISPs generally now want you to be using a DOCSIS 3.1 compatible modem. (The difference is speed and simultaneous channel capacity.) In practice you may very possibly not getting high enough speed to make a difference; the dividing line is around 1Gbps, and for most of us DOCSIS 3.0 is fine and cheaper to buy. (But it’s not the latest thing, if you care.)

If you’re FiOS 3.1 probably makes more sense, for most with cable 3.0 is OK, 3.1 if you want to be “current” or are currently or plan to be on 1Gbps service.

1 Like

Sorry I’m late replying.

Honestly, I’d avoid combo devices like the plague?

In my experience they have two major problems for users.

1. More unreliable than two separate devices.

2. The combo units limit your options to optimize both ISP/WiFi performance in your home.

Number 1 is a big factor for me, if I’m trying to eliminate the unreliable equipment I’ve dealt with from my ISP, why double down and stay in the bad relationship with the unreliable equipment the ISP supplies?

Number 2 can be the more important factor in this decision.

Depending on your ISP, you’re probably being told every time you complain that it’s probably your household coax that’s the issue, and they’d be happy to replace it all for $800-$1200. This can be a cause of issues in some cases, but it’s never worth $1000. It’s almost always the cable between the node and the home that’s been damaged and needs service. And, that’s often like pulling teeth, especially if the node is across the street.

Here’s the thing. Depending on your homes distance from the ISPs node, you could be at the lower limits of what your modem will tolerate without problems. This means that to ensure the best performance and reliability, you really want to keep the coax between the wall and your modem as short as possible. This limits you in how you can place the combo unit to optimize WiFi performance/coverage inside your home?

I’d say get an Arris SB 8200 (Check and make sure it’s a supported model with your ISP), connect it as close to the wall as you can, and run a good quality Cat6 patch cable to where you’ll get the best WiFi performance/coverage from a WiFi6 router? (I’ve had good luck with TP-Link ethernet routers and switches over the years and know two people who have been satisfied with their recent WiFi routers)

Power both with a quality UPS.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!