Sorry Tablo - TiVo has beaten you to the punch

I see you joined Dec ’15. Is that about how long you’ve been using Tablo?

Let’s see how you feel when remote pairing breaks and you won’t be back to home LAN for several weeks, month or longer?

I’m not trying to bash Tablo (lifetime subscriber) but in the interests of improving several frustrations for some people I will always lend my “honest” description as a user since Apr ’15.

Did you just pull the “I’ve been using it 6 mos longer than you, lets see how you feel in 6 mos” card?

Not trying to play any “card” friend. Just stating the facts as they happen to be.

Anything to contribute on topic?

as a user since Apr ’15.

Thats pulling a card. Your time using the device is irrelevant, especially when youre comparing yourself to someone who you presume has been a user since Dec '15.

Sorry for calling you out on your bullshit.

His time using Tablo is totally relevant. The first three months I had Tablo were awesome, followed by six months of despair, then 3 months of pretty good, then a few months of more isssues, and now most of the last six months of stable. We only use Tablo for DVR though as Live TV is unbearable and we have co-ax to every TV in the house already.

Lately every recording over an hour stops and “crashes” at the 30 minute mark and we have to click Watch then Resume. Painful.

Would leave the solution for something else, but don’t have the free cash at this time to do it. Hell I’ve been thinking of rebuilding my MythTV PC and going back to non-appliance solution.

1 Like

MythTV, thats where I came from too, crazy though, I have had NONE of the issues listed above. Outside of the span of LPW issues in the Roku app back in the 2.2.8 days I have had no problems what so ever. Sorry you guys are having such a tough time, that sucks.

1 Like

I’m wondering if the issues are related to a certain revision of hardware. I remember that Tablo units where sold out everywhere for a while and then new ones showed which indicates a possible new run of manufacturing. Could there be some difference in components from unit to unit? Is there a way to compare them?

Well at the risk of setting off a firestorm I will say I have also been a customer since April '15

1 Like

Nuvyyo has said there is no difference with regards to “older” vs. “newer” Tablo devices, they are the same. With that said, there’s always a chance of a bad run…

Yeah but it would be nice to have some way to show that. A small change by a chip manufacturer; despite the part having the same number, could cause all kinds of problems.

1 Like

It’s unlikely that a secret change happened. When I say “bad run” I’m talking about just a bad run… not any kind of actual change.

I understand what you meant. It just seems odd that certain units are having issues and certain ones don’t despite them “all being the same”. Bad runs do occur and there should be some way to identify if that occurred or not.

First, let me say Thank you to you all. I am so grateful for the information you have provided me.

I signed up for the forums before purchasing a lifetime service to try and figure out why the connect feature wouldn’t work and I was wondering if it was because I was in the 30 day trial period.

As the owner of 4 older Tivo’s without streaming I like having a DVR. I also have a SimpleTV version1, 2 Slingboxes and 2 massive antennas, I like to have access to my local programming when I travel. My preferred streamer is Roku, but the new Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV’s have grown on me.

When I visit my Mother and Brother on the farm where I grew up, beyond the reach of cable television, cell phone reception and terrestrial television signals, unless you like religious programming, I often watch my SimpleTV or my Slingbox, My mother’s phone company does provide an internet bundle…she loves netflix. I use my either my slingbox or simple TV (it still works just fine, so far). We were able to watch the July 4th fireworks via my Simple TV, in fact. I had hoped that Tablo would fulfill our needs down there with it’s multiple tuners but it sounds like it wont. And if it’s not a priority, the steaming out of your home thing, then this device will not suit my purposes.

I’m returning mine.

Good luck out there and thanks again!

I think you have made the correct choice (returning your Tablo). I am a Tablo fanboy, but, I won’t recommend a Tablo to anyone else until they fix the “device pairing” limitation (that always fails when you want to use it). Implement a simple user ID and password for remote access and I will recommend Tablo to my friends. Until then, I won’t (because I don’t want to look like a schmuk).

1 Like

Is it schmuk or schmuck??? Check the mirror:)

The device pairing works fine for myself …

I travel 2-3 times a month, been using it over a year with two Tablos from two sites, with an iPhone & Win 7 PC, not a single problem.

Added a cheap Android tablet to my travel tools about 6 weeks ago, so far so good there as well.

Based on the numerous complaints I have seen here, I can indeed understand not recommending it ( and I would prefer a login / password process rather than pairing) but wanted to say that as is, for some of us, it works fine.

1 Like

Good point, let me google that . . .

Is device pairing still a problem for people? I haven’t had trouble for quite some time and actually don’t see too much complaining anymore. Maybe I’m just skipping past those threads…

Device pairing fails on my iPad when I’m on 4G. If I go on WiFi, I’m able to pair with Tablo even when I’m tethering from my iPhone. So, yes, there’s a pairing issue.

Other times I have to VPN into my network in order to pair with Tablo.

Yes, I routinely “lose” pairing on two laptops and a tablet. All devices have paired at one time on the home network and I have set the Remote Quality for each. Settings reset 2 out of 3 times I try connect remotely. No idea of the cause yet, and don’t care enough to waste time diagnosing. I just wait till I get home and watch on the TV/Roku.