Sorry Tablo - TiVo has beaten you to the punch

Yes, since I only have 1 Mini in another room, I still have 3 tuners available always and 4 usually. But it is a good point to make for Tablo :wink:

Does this mean even when watching a completed recording on the TiVo Mini 1 tuner is in use? Watching a completed recording on the Tablo does not use a tuner.

Yes.

EDIT: It seems that the Mini uses a tuner for LiveTV.

plus 1 on this. Their interface was the best. I was a loyal TiVo user for years and years as well.

I jumped ship right about when they introduced the TiVo mini. I just felt they were nickel and dime-ing me at every turn. Coincidentally, this is when they just began to look at dropping ads into the FF screens, it’s sad to hear they have doubled down on that.

I’ve been a Tablo user and fan through all it’s growing pains but I must admit this is a game changer. As a single TV user I would have opted for TiVo had this option been available at the time. As it now stands I’m pretty much invested in Tablo although I’m not a lifetime subscriber.
Although much too late in the day, TiVo has FINALLY caught on to the notion that cable cutters were not thrilled with their overpriced subscription rates. I’m contemplating a change if I can recoup some of my current investment. I also need to check out in detail the functionality of the TiVo system.
X

2 Likes

I have friends that are die hard Tivo users. Tablo presented a much much much better return on the dollar… But I can’t say “much much much” anymore… that’s all. Price isn’t going to be much of a factor anymore.

I do still like my Tablo, it’s still a reasonable choice, especially if you don’t need surround sound, popular show commercial skipping, native quality, etc.

So… what to do? Well, some here (and @TabloTV) have mentioned the strengths of Tablo. I’d really focus on exploiting the strengths more feature wise… just saying… there’s a lot of room for improvement, but can’t say what can be done easily. No napping!

2 Likes

I’m a recent Taloo fan, owned the Taboo 4 tuner about 3 months now. If TiVo had this option back then, I’d have considered it. Although I do like the Taboo flexibilities, the Apple TV app is a unicorn so far and surround sound is still missing. I am a lifetime subscriber and not a cable cutter yet, waiting for Apple TV app to make a decision.

There’s plenty of room for improvements and I do believe in the Tablo team.

1 Like

Fully agree. I’m still awaiting the, much promised, Apple TV app.

Well said.

I’ll be renewing my Tablo subscription for one more year. I’m sure many of us will be watching for reviews of Tivo to get the real goods on it’s capabilities and user experience and compare with Tablo, and make an informed decision.

Game on, Tablo. Does this bring 5.1 audio and remote access signon any closer to reality? :slightly_smiling:

Does TiVo have remote access via username and password? I’m curious.

Yes.

2 Likes

As answered above, yes. You can use a web browser or an app to review what you have on your Tivo, set up shows to record, delete shows, all kinds of things. However, to stream shows, you need the Stream device for the Roamio OTA models which is an additional cost…but only 1 stream, unlike 1 Mini needed per extra TV.

1 Like

I have been driving towards simplicity in my TV setups. My main goal has been to avoid the necessity of switching inputs on my TV. I want my family to be able to turn on the TV and have all my apps visible from a single screen. I have settled on Roku because it has the greatest number of apps available. Tablo fits into the Roku ecosystem seamlessly.
I was a TiVo user for years and really love their DVR but was not a fan of the monthly price. This new deal is very tempting; However, I don’t think I will go there. The hardware cost is high but that is not my main concern. I just think that Roku does a lot better job with Apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Acorn etc.). I really don’t trust TiVo to handle all the non-TiVo stuff.

1 Like

I thought the new TiVo Bolt does not require a TiVo Stream.

1 Like

I believe that is true, but the deal in question is for a Roamio. I don’t believe the Bolt offers any kind of Lifetime subscription at all. (I could be wrong)

2 Likes

The more TV’s the better the Tablo option. I have only one which makes the TiVo offer more attractive.

2 Likes

The biggest thing keeping me tied to Tablo at this point is the ethernet requirement for Tivo Minis. Don’t really feel like going back to Powerline after getting such a robust WiFi network in place. I would say the availability of the Android TV app keeps me with Tablo, but with no integration into the Recommendations Bar, Voice Search, or Live Channels, the experience is not much different than switching inputs to Tivo. Tablo has been very well received in my family over the last year but I never stop looking for the best experience.

Wouldn’t mind getting less loading and surround sound on Tivo.

1 Like

@getcashmoney

You could always install a wireless bridge on each Tivo Mini. They do work well. Although that would add to the cost…

Good idea. Those would run about $50 each, right? Any specific recommendations?

Edit: Nevermind, I just realized my WiFi extenders have an ethernet port built in! I always wondered why anyone would ever use them…