So I DON'T need a wireless network for Tablo?

Do I understand this right?  Does the Tablo work without an accompanying wireless network?  Can I just wirelessly connect DIRECTLY to the Tablo’s internal wi-fi?

The Tablo’s wireless network is just used to get it set up on the main home network if you aren’t using a wired network.  That seems common nowadays (I see it on the Chromecast, for example).  

You still need a wireless network to use it for tablets and other wireless devices.

So here’s my situation… my wife and I are building a house.  I want to test antenna signal strength in various locations around the property.  Am I thinking correctly that I WILL be able to ONLY have the antenna, the Tablo unit, an electrical outlet, my laptop, and the computer / Tablo wi-fi JUST to see signal strength using the setup procedure?

I recommend just getting a signal strength meter and using that to test your antenna strength around your house.  

TabloSupport can confirm, but I am pretty sure the Tablo wifi network is for connection purposes only and can’t be used to set up channels and find signal strength.

So here’s my situation… my wife and I are building a house.  I want to test antenna signal strength in various locations around the property.  Am I thinking correctly that I WILL be able to ONLY have the antenna, the Tablo unit, an electrical outlet, my laptop, and the computer / Tablo wi-fi JUST to see signal strength using the setup procedure?

You wouldn’t need wifi if the tablo and laptop are connected via Ethernet.   Though the Tablo needs DHCP.  Just use a Wifi router for the test.

-MM13

Without an internet connection, You can’t get to the my.tablotv.com site for the laptop to see the Tablo.   You might be able to do it with an Apple or Android tablet and a wifi router, but I don’t know if the Tablo needs to connect to the internet at all to do a signal strength test.

@pantheman75 The Tablo doesn’t need the Internet to run - you’re correct there.However , the Tablo does need a local network to use in order to send information from point A to point B. 

Your laptop wouldn’t have any way of communicating with the Tablo if there wasn’t a router involved, as there’s no network to allow them to communicate. The Tablo’s Wifi acts as an access point in order to join other networks, but not much else. Sorry!
So, when I'm using my laptop to talk to Tablo, am I going through the internet or staying within my LAN? 

@Grandy, it will go out to briefly to the internet when you go to my.tablotv.com.  It just goes to Tablo’s internal servers to identify your Tablo.

If you connect to your Tablo via the Roku or a tablet app, it stays completely on your LAN.

thanks, snowcat.  I just got a little 7" android tablet & can’t wait to see if it goes faster.