Sling TV by Dish gives cord cutters more options, including ESPN

I signed up.  Now how do I watch it???  It says watch on any device.  Went to Play Store, nothing there.  No link in the invitation, no instructions that I saw.

Look under FAQ for instructions for Roku.  But still no joy with Android phone.

Roku PW doesn’t seem to work, but was not asked for a PW by Sling.

So got my invite and started looking at it and both ABC Family and both Disney channels gave me the content is not authorized…

Talked to support and they say they have an issues right now…

My response, just signing up and 4 channels out of 12 not working is not a good thing.

But I digress, the picture looks really good on Roku and the iPad. You can only do single stream, however, they do allow you to pay $5 more for each additional stream up to 3.

Overall for $20 a month, not too impressed and will be canceling before I have to pay :wink:
I guess for you ESPN nuts it may be worth it, but not for me. 

@Jestep, and don’t you know for USA folks, many would have come on board at the beginning of NFL season.

Not saying that’s the only sport, just saying that’s the one that would have gotten them the most sales…

I’m sort of hoping they fix things… but no Hallmark Channel means no sale… for my family. :slight_smile:

@cjcox, yea, I knew what channels they offered, but boy it sure looks small once you actually look at it especially for $20 plus tax

@Jestep, but don’t you know my wife will pay  $20/mo. for just the Hallmark Channel.  And since we’re married, I guess it means I’ll pay that much too :). (wondering if I live with the only Hallmark Channel groupie on the planet)

@cjcox LOL LOL LOL

Oh, and want to watch the superbowl without Tablo?

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-watch-superbowl-xlix-online-1683003538?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

No invite yet here either :-/ my wife is super excited about food network again. Been 9 yes I think HAHA

Sony PlayStation have announced their PlayStation Vue, which sounds a lot like Sling TV. I’ll be keeping my eye on both of these options in the days to come.

@Jestep - Keep us posted! Obviously we see Sling as a great complimentary solution to Tablo but only if it works as advertised! 

And @cjcox - You’re not the only one. There’s been several potential users I’ve talked to who said, “Can’t do it if I can’t get either A) Hallmark Channel or B) Turner Classic Movies.” 

Maybe they’ll introduce a ‘wife pack’. :D 
@Jestep, but don't you know my wife will pay  $20/mo. for *just* the Hallmark Channel.  And since we're married, I guess it means I'll pay that much too :). (wondering if I live with the only Hallmark Channel groupie on the planet)

Awhile back I tried to contact the Hallmark Programming team through their website, support gave me an invalid email for them, so my message didn’t go through.

I wanted to make them aware of other entities offering streaming services outside of cable such as ABC, HBO etc. Thought they would jump on this.  They could still show their commercials while charging a NOMINAL Monthly fee.

Or as an alternative a ROKU Paid channel with their movies.  

Chuck 

Signed up for SlingTV trial, but haven’t received my invite. Perhaps, I’m not one of their demographics. (hehehehe!)

I have ESPN3 through my internet provider and enjoyed watching the Australian Open the last two weeks.  For those matches that were on very late, I watched the next day on “replays” (FF/RW available).  And…I was able to watch most of the NFL games OTA, except for those on ESPN (Monday Night). 

I also tried NBA Gametime/League Pass, which is a little quirky application to use at first, but patience paid off and I’m able to watch more Basketball than when I had cable. 

The offering of SlingTV would provide channels that would compliment my sports watching, and channels that I buy shows from by the “drink” currently.  I do agree that the price point is little high for what you get.  It’s all about maximizing the savings from cord cutting and buying only content that I want to watch.  Bundling channels may not be for everyone, but I would give it a try, just to see how well it complimented my current OTA and streaming profile.

Several people form NC, (including me) on this forum received invites yesterday. Looks they are they going by market.

I am so happy, BECAUSE MY WIFE IS HAPPY!

There are also a lot of people on Facebook saying if you call 1-888-893-9069 and and tell them you received your invite they will sign you up. People said they were asked for the code in their email but they said there was no code and Sling said “that’s ok we can sign you up anyway”.

I can confirm myself that my email invite had no code it just had a link that went to a page that asked me to create an account. When I tried to create the account. It went pretty smooth.

You can also try this. The link in my email went to this page:

https://www.sling.com/?invite=meQRIdI&cvosrc=email.itshere1.sports&utm_source=Stay%20In%20Touch%20with%20Sling&utm_campaign=e24db6e165-itshere1&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_da0bb2a0af-e24db6e165-59372373

Just click on “START YOUR 2 DAYS FREE!”
we know the downside will be coming as internet providers will seek data monthly usage caps with additional charges for exceeding the limit.  Matter of time for sure as more of us make the break away from cable and satellite

Some of you in some areas are apparently spoiled - that’s the way it’s always been for a large lot of America. For those with no limits, many of us, and I don’t mean a small minority, only dream of such things. I hear over and over when we miss some show “just watch it online”,. Yeah, right. When you have limited bandwidth and limited Gb/month? Dream on. 

I know it’s really hard or even impossible for many of you to believe, you with no caps and almost unlimited bandwidth aren’t the norm. That’s not what many of us have. Huge sections of the country can’t get cable, can’t get DSL and the other options are LIMITED with caps and smaller pipes. Netflix and these other options - just aren’t options.

I’ve signed up and have SlingTV.  I’m using a Roku3 to access it, and am happy so far.

The best feature, is instant play and responsiveness.  It is fast, even flipping back and forth between streams is near instantaneous.

They buffer several days worth of shows for some channels.  In the guide, you go to the channel, the current show is shown below, with previous, and next shows in timeline format.  Move left to see previous shows, and OK to start watching any of them.  No need to DVR the show since they are all DVR’ed.  The downside, the shows will expire so you can only watch the number of days they have prerecorded. 

They not only buffer, but you can pause live recording, and come back.  You can also go back to the start of a current show to watch from the beginning.  I love this ability!

The downside, not all channels are DVR’ed - DISNEY and ABC Family are not buffered, nor can you pause.  The only option is to watch live.  The other networks, Food, HGTV, Travel, do let you pause and watch previous shows, however, the other downside is that it doesn’t seem to let me skip over the commercials.

There is a popup preview on the timeline as you skip back and forward to show where you are in the show.

Video quality is excellent.  And again, I am very impressed at just how responsive and instantaneous the stream is.