Sling TV by Dish gives cord cutters more options, including ESPN

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/gadgets/attention-cord-cutters-dishs-new-sling-tv-service-lets-you-n279936

The $20 a month service, the first from a distributor, will be available through Internet-connected devices such as Amazon Fire TV, Roku and Google Nexus Player for TVs, tablets, computers and smartphones. It will include television programming and sports events from Walt Disney’s ABC, ESPN and Maker Studios, Time Warner’s TNT, CNN, TBS, Cartoon Network and Adult Swim, and Food Network, HGTV and Travel Channel. Dish said it will announce a launch date and additional media partners soon.

This is pretty big news.  Getting all those channels for just $20 a month over the internet is where TV needs to be going anyway.  This would complement a Tablo quite well.

Darn, you beat me to it!  It’s a great range of channels for a pretty decent cost, IMO.

My first question is will Sling TV have a DVR option?  I love the idea of Sling and $20 isn't bad if there is a DVR option.

I agree, however I saw an article just now which states that it has a 1 stream at a time limit… and content isn’t “live” its available 1 - 3 days after it airs and sometimes not at all.  1 stream limit, are you kidding me?  thats useless for familes of, oh i dunno 2 :slight_smile:

I would doubt there would be a DVR option, but I would think it would work like WatchESPN and CartoonNetwork.com works now.  You can watch shows live, but you can also watch replays for a period of time (usually anytime in that current season).

Loads of articles out there, each with a slightly different spin.  The one from BusinessWeek is interesting:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2015-01-05/dish-sling-tv-service-takes-on-cable-television

"Targeted ads" doesn’t exactly give me the warm fuzzies :-/

I’d be interested if they are truly live feeds. I’m not interested in paying for even more on-demand content, however. Feed quality will also be an important factor for me. On the plus side, it should be an easy thing to use on a trial basis since there is no equipment requirement.

I’ll give it a shot. I miss having CNN and my wife loved food network and HGTV.  As @DaFury said it should be easy to do on a trial basis.  If it sucks, you just cancel

Some more in depth info here.

This one seems to be quite clear that it’s Live, 720p/1080p, and has adaptive streams. Interesting.

The folks from Dish are here at Pepcom tonight. We’re going to be asking them a few questions :) 

While you’re making casual conversation with the Dish team…maybe you should mention how great it would be to somehow integrate the OTA channels via Tablo and the live “cable” channels via Sling-TV into the same Grid-style guide. You know…just a little small-talk.   

:-bd

Combine OTA channels with internet content in a single guide, you mean like this?

DVR+

Yep…like that…but with the channels that Sling-TV provides.

I would highly bet on these being added to Playon/Playlater giving you the ability of recording and skipping commercials.

Don’t have or want Roku.  I wonder if a Chromecasted PC would work.  HGTV doesn’t have to be live, but ESPN sure does or it’s worthless.

OK… Here’s the skinny I got last night from the lovely folks at Sling TV.

It’s currently supported on:
Amazon Fire TV
Google Nexus Player
Xbox
Roku
Smart TVs 
iOS/Android
Mac/PC

Has ESPN, ESPN2, Disney, Maker (whatever that is… never heard of it), ABC Family, Food, HGTV, Travel, Adult Swim, TNT, CNN TBS and Cartoon Network. 

You can get a few extra channels for an extra $5 month.

No DVR option and everything is live.

They couldn’t tell me how they actually do adaptive streaming on a live feed though. Logistically it seems impossible… 

They were showing ESPN last night though. 

And yes, we did chat about how we’re a complimentary piece of the puzzle but no deals were struck :) 

If anyone signs up let us know how you like it. 

Maker is a new channel that appears to be terrible. It’s a channel made to monetize youtube stuff. I’m excited about the rest of the lineup though!

Based in my experience with ESPN watch, I would be cautious of a crappy streaming service. Not saying they can’t improve it. May even give it a shot if there isn’t any contract.

OK.. Here's the skinny I got last night from the lovely folks at Sling TV.

It's currently supported on:
Amazon Fire TV
Google Nexus Player
Xbox
Roku
Smart TVs 
iOS/Android
Mac/PC

Has ESPN, ESPN2, Disney, Maker (whatever that is... never heard of it), ABC Family, Food, HGTV, Travel, Adult Swim, TNT, CNN TBS and Cartoon Network. 

You can get a few extra channels for an extra $5 month.

No DVR option and everything is live.

They couldn't tell me how they actually do adaptive streaming on a live feed though. Logistically it seems impossible... 

They were showing ESPN last night though. 

And yes, we did chat about how we're a complimentary piece of the puzzle but no deals were struck :) 

If anyone signs up let us know how you like it. 

Send their team a few complementary TABLO’s and let them go realize what a good mix it would be for themselves.

Adaptive streaming should be easy for them, think of it, they do not have to have one antenna or encoder per person, they can just encode the same stream at lets say 5 different bitrates simultaneously and then distribute those 5 streams via content delivery systems to 100,000’s of people.