Simple.TV story

http://www.cutcabletoday.com/simple-tv-story/

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.  

Is this where Tablo is going?  Maybe keeping OTA PVR’s working is just too hard to do.  Mine seems buggered up at the moment with the recent update.  Hope it’s just a glitch which will be fixed.  Unfortunately, had to reformat my HD to get it working.  How long will it work???  To bad too, I was getting to like 4 tuners recording.

-Rodger

I think the Tablo folks have studied SimpleTV and are doing their best to not make the same mistakes that SimpleTV made.

Is this where Tablo is going?  Maybe keeping OTA PVR's working is just too hard to do.  Mine seems buggered up at the moment with the recent update.  Hope it's just a glitch which will be fixed.  Unfortunately, had to reformat my HD to get it working.  How long will it work???  To bad too, I was getting to like 4 tuners recording.

-Rodger

There is absolutely nothing about the Simple.TV story that has any similarity to Tablo TV.

Hope you’re both right.  2 things I have a problem with, otherwise I like the Tablo.  Hope they both get fixed soon.

-Rodger

Sorry to chime in, but there certainly seems to be some similarity. Software issues can ruin the best of hardware. From what I’ve read regarding simple.tv the majority of complaints were related to software issues.

"There is absolutely nothing about the Simple.TV story that has any similarity to Tablo TV."

The below quote is from the simple.tv article referenced above.  

"To make things worse, customer complaints started pouring in about various setup and performance issues. Some found their devices stuck on “searching for device on your network,” while others lamented that all their box did was “flash a blue light and say Simple.TV is not available.” 
Sorry to chime in, but there certainly seems to be some similarity. Software issues can ruin the best of hardware. From what I've read regarding simple.tv the majority of complaints were related to software issues.

"There is absolutely nothing about the Simple.TV story that has any similarity to Tablo TV."

The below quote is from the simple.tv article referenced above.  

"To make things worse, customer complaints started pouring in about various setup and performance issues. Some found their devices stuck on “searching for device on your network,” while others lamented that all their box did was “flash a blue light and say Simple.TV is not available.” 

You conveniently left out the quotes about pretty much every single Simple.TV user experiencing issues and Simple doing or saying nothing about it. Show me a product that DOESN’T have issues with software, the difference is in how those issues are handled.

Yes, Tablo TV has some software issues. No, Tablo hasn’t run away, hidden their heads and done nothing about those issues.

I seen these complaints as similar as well, but I am more then willing to hope for better things with Tablo.  One thing that does bother me however, is forecasting upcoming things that just never seem to happen.  I really don’t want to get into what they are, but I will say there are numbers of them.  The other is losses.  I have losses already, and I’ve only owned the Tablo for 1 month.  Alot of people don’t take losses to well, and if they are more then a 1 time event, almost everyone will have a problem.  Finally, things like this Tablo are for must of us something we look to for entertainment.  If and when that stops happening and frustration starts to take over, the game will soon end for most.

Didn’t say these things to upset, but a little bit of forewarning sometimes helps rather then hurts.

-Rodger

You conveniently left out the quotes about pretty much every single Simple.TV user experiencing issues and Simple doing or saying nothing about it. Show me a product that DOESN’T have issues with software, the difference is in how those issues are handled.

Yes, Tablo TV has some software issues. No, Tablo hasn’t run away, hidden their heads and done nothing about those issues.

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to

conveniently omit anything. Just point out similarities in complaints. Yes, software has issues. – in my 30+ years in IT I’ve certainly experienced/resolved/created plenty of issues myself :slight_smile:

I’m not saying Nuvyyo is the same as simple.tv, by no means. Tablo support is very responsive. The challenge is always the turnaround time to resolve issues once they are uncovered. It’s also easy to become overwhelmed with the volume of issues and become non-responsive at some point. Hopefully that will never be the case with Tablo.

Common complaints included having to reboot repeatedly and weak tuners. However, the performance issues weren’t the worst of it. The real problem continues to be the perceived lack of customer support. 

1. The Roku reboot issue seems to be a Roku firmware cause as it has occurred for many as a global issue with other channels. Luckily for me, no rebooting on my Roku 3.
  2. The Tablo reboot issue where the device is required to be rebooted can have multiple causes, some commonly being network issues. Again, my Tablo has never had to be rebooted to fix an issue. Only reboots for updates and I’ve had it since May 2014.
  3. Tablo has been great with fixing bugs and in my opinion, timely with releases. But that’s subjective, a lot of people want everything yesterday.