Signal Loss on 4 Tuner models?

I currently have a Tablo Dual and have just ordered a 4 tuner model as I was getting too many unresolvable recording conflicts.

Having done a bit of research on this forum (yes I should have done it before ordering!) I have encountered a number of references to signal degradation on four tuner models due to the 4 way splitter used internally. While my current Tablo’s tuner is far better than the Tivo Bolt OTA it replaced, I still experience some signal loss from time to time. I am concerned that with the new 4 tuner model this problem will be exacerbated. The antenna is already a high quality amplified external unit and I can’t do a lot to improve that easily.

Am I going to be disappointed with the new Tablo or … ?

I sure hope not.

As I understand it, the 4 tuner model has its’ own internal amplifier that compensates for splitting the original signal 4 ways.
I don’t know if the dual tuner models have the amplifier or only a splitter.

Hopefully the new Tablo will work perfectly right out of the gate.

The OG 2 tuner and 4 tuner have the same internal amplified 1x4 splitter. I’m not sure about the new Dual and Quad, but likely.

When I switched from my OG 2-Tuner to a QUAD most channels came in fine as before, but eventually had to use a better amplifier for my local PBS station (too much pixelization).

While the first generation was actually named 4-Tuner, the phrase is often used interchangeably when referencing Tablo Quad with 4 tuners - so make sure you’re make the distinction when researching as to what you’re truly referencing.

I do recall the new four tuner - Quat has the new generation tuners as the Dual (whether it’s “better” can’t say)

Here’s Tablo’s take on the split - https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/210429406-Troubleshooting-Reception-Issues

The drawback here is a small loss in DB when the signal is split. We use amplified splitting technology to mitigate for this loss, so it’s nearly negligible. In some rare cases, you could have one channel on your TV that doesn’t appear on the Tablo.

Thanks folks - I feel a little more confident now.

@djk44883 interestingly the Tablo support doc does not coincide channel wise to what I see at all. My Tablo picks up many more stations than my Sony TV does.

In my case I’m comparing current models - I only purchased the Tablo Duo 4 months ago and I’m looking at the latest 4 tuner model. I limited my reviews to what appeared to be current model discussions but the terminology can be confusing - for instance others have referenced “OG” - which I’m sure means something to someone

You’re the minority. Mine are 1:1, but there are a few topics were users are upset because they can get channels on their TVs and not tablo DVR.

Granted there are a plethora of variables between each individual setup and configuration - unlikely there are 2 exactly the same.

I spoke with tech support this morning because I had similar problems with recordings stopping and the unit rebooting. It turns out my signal was too strong on some channels. The tech told me the Quad I have is looking for signal strength between -80db to -50db. most of my channels are -20db and up because I am within a 10 mile radius of most of the towers in my area. He recommended adding an attenuator to reduce the signal.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.