Scheduled re-start and restart option in web interface

I’m seeing issues with keeping the Tablo running 24-7 and remaining stable, as others have mentioned. Yesterday we were watching live TV and a rather colorful graph appeared across the bottom of the Roku’s screen in live TV. The graph seemed to be some type of memory map. I was commenting to my wife on how it looked  like a bit pattern in memory, when suddenly the Roku locked up and the Tablo was dropped from the network. I had to do a hard-restart. So, the question comes to mind…why not offer an auto-restart option? I use this with my routers that run Gargoyle firmware. It lets me schedule a time to restart. For example, I use 2am each night to do a clean restart. Is this something that you guys can consider? It’s a good option until all memory issues are resolved. I should also mention that this lockup didn’t appear to be heat-related. My Tablo sits on a laptop cooling pad that’s plugged into the alternate USB port. It was very cool at the time of this crash. Thanks.

1 Like

There is a restart built in- it should start the recording again once it comes back up. Assuming you have that checked in the settings screen.

There is a restart built in- it should start the recording again once it comes back up. Assuming you have that checked in the settings screen.

Thanks, sorry I don’t see any type of restart in the web interface. Can you tell me more about this option? I’m specifically asking for a scheduled restart. But, I can’t find the restart option you’re describing in the  1.0.11-434  HTML version I’m running. 

Oh sorry, it is built in… I forgot… I think it was in 2.1.18 firmware

Actually let me rephrase this. You were watching live TV. It will not restart recording. A recording in progress would restart.

Ok, thanks again. I’m talking about something totally different. I’m asking for the option to schedule a nightly clean re-start so any memory issues can be resolved. I was watching live TV and it blew up and the Tablo did not restart. As I said, I had to do a hard-reset to get it back (i.e. pull the plug). This probably could have been avoided if the Tablo had done a clean boot at say 2am, rather than continue to run for 2 days straight.  :)

Ahh, gotcha. A few people on here have setup timers to turn off \ turn on the power.

I have asked for a reboot option in the Settings screen and they have argued against that saying it may require a hard reset. I actually have to climb a ladder to get to mine so I would prefer an easier way :wink:
Ahh, gotcha. A few people on here have setup timers to turn off \\ turn on the power.

I have asked for a reboot option in the Settings screen and they have argued against that saying it may require a hard reset. I actually have to climb a ladder to get to mine so I would prefer an easier way ;)

Ouch on climbing the ladder! I only have to climb stairs to the second floor. Guess I won’t complain. :slight_smile: Good idea on the timer. I guess that will work in the meantime. I had this exact same issue when I setup a couple of my remote routers with Gargoyle firmware, then I found the nightly re-boot option and they’ve been up and running with no issues for more than a year now. Prior to that they would crash every couple of weeks and I had to pull the plug to get them back. I’ve spent the past 30+ years in software engineering/architecture, so I know how very common memory leaks are – even with so-call “managed memory” languages, such as Java. :slight_smile: Thanks so much for your comments and your other helpful posts!

Yep right there with you :wink:

Ahh, gotcha. A few people on here have setup timers to turn off \\ turn on the power.

I have asked for a reboot option in the Settings screen and they have argued against that saying it may require a hard reset. I actually have to climb a ladder to get to mine so I would prefer an easier way ;)

Ouch on climbing the ladder! I only have to climb stairs to the second floor. Guess I won’t complain. :slight_smile: Good idea on the timer. I guess that will work in the meantime. I had this exact same issue when I setup a couple of my remote routers with Gargoyle firmware, then I found the nightly re-boot option and they’ve been up and running with no issues for more than a year now. Prior to that they would crash every couple of weeks and I had to pull the plug to get them back. I’ve spent the past 30+ years in software engineering/architecture, so I know how very common memory leaks are – even with so-call “managed memory” languages, such as Java. :slight_smile: Thanks so much for your comments and your other helpful posts!

Java? Memory managed? More like memory hog. I have more JAVA apps crash than any other apps, including IE. 
Anyway, we have servers scheduled to reboot each weekend. The domain controllers do this in sort of a cascade timing, one reboots and then 30 minutes later if the next DC can detect the first one came back, it reboots, etc. Sure saves a lot of issues. Do the same with SQL. They are all rock-solid during the work week.
However, our routers in the field, and each of our 34 remote offices has a router (ASA5505) some of those have been up for a year or more with zero issues. We’ve got them supplied through UPSs and since we’ve gone to filtered clean power we don’t have router issues any more. It used to be we’d lose 3 or 4 a year or they’d crash or drop off the network and since we put a UPS in every office, we’ve not had any of them fail in like 3 or 4 years and they don’t go down. If an office drops, it’s the ISP’s issue, not ours. I wonder about Tablo and CLEAN power. Even those “wall warts” pass along dirty power to some extent, especially dips and jumps.
Anyone run their Tablo through an inline UPS? I’m seriously considering that as my next expenditure.  

I’m bumping this because I would like a manual and scheduled reboot option as well. Lately I seem to be having issues that require me to power cycle the Tablo every few weeks. It’d be nice if I could schedule it for in the middle of the night and not have to worry about it.