SAP Recording

Looks like Unimas/Univision and MLS announced a SAP English option availability. I would be great to record in English.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sap

I have not tested if i can use SAP during live tv viewing. Will update.
2 Likes

@jtwhitecap I don’t see a setting on the Tablo to enable SAP.  That would need to be a per channel option or an option when you set recording options.  @TabloSupport please consider adding this after the Roku revamp is released.

1 Like

Tested an NBA game SAP from english to spanish in live viewing. 

(Did confirm game Antenna to TV SAP was streaming second language prior to testing Tablo)

Roku: Default stream doesn’t enable SAP on TV and the roku *(asterisk) button shows no availability to change audio language.

Web App: Default stream doesn’t enable SAP on TV/Monitor and don’t see an option how to change audio language through Tablo App.

I just looked for the same and 2nd this as a feature request.

The Tablo only habdles one audio stream at the moment. Tablo has acknowledged having support for multiple audio streams would be a great idea and it’s on their to-do list.

This will likely be implemented with 5.1 audio support as a lot of devices cannot decode 5.1 AC3 audio so they would need to record multiple audio streams. The Roku for example cannot decode 5.1 AC3 audio so to implement Surround Sound audio they would need at least two audio tracks, one the original source 5.1 AC3 and two the encoded 2.0 AAC that is currently recorded on the Tablo.

@theuser86 my Roku 3 absolutely passes through AC3 and DTS and many other audio formats.  And if I put in Stereo mode it decodes the sound fine and passes that through as stereo.  I know this because my AV amp tells me what the current audio mode is coming from my Roku,  Right now it is passing through a Dolby Digital signal from a TV show playing on a Plex client.

@luker

Like many others I have my Roku 3 directly connected to my HDTV via HDMI. My HDTV cannot decode 5.1 AC3 audio, so the fact the Roku 3 can pass through 5.1 AC3 audio still means that I would require a second audio track of 2.0 AAC from the Tablo.

If the Roku could decode AC3 that would be another story, but it does not.

Ah OK, I see what you meant.  All three of my TVs can accept AC3 over HDMI and downconvert to Stereo, so I’ve never had the misfortune of having to deal with that.  Two of my TVs will even pass through AC3 from an HDMI source out an optical cable, some pretty neat features.

Ah OK, I see what you meant.  All three of my TVs can accept AC3 over HDMI and downconvert to Stereo, so I've never had the misfortune of having to deal with that.  Two of my TVs will even pass through AC3 from an HDMI source out an optical cable, some pretty neat features.

@luker

That is very useful. However most AVRs these days have HDMI inputs so no need to pass through audio from HDMI to Optical.

It is hit or miss which HDTVs will decode 5.1 AC3 audio over HDMI. But unless you have an AVR there is no point in feeding your HDTV 5.1 audio because it only has Stereo speakers. That’s why the current 2.0 AAC audio from Tablo will suffice for many.

However I see the need to eventually support 5.1 audio.

do you have an antenna connected to your TVs? If so what do they do with the AC3 broadcast audio?

@luker

All HDTVs can decode the 5.1 AC3 audio via the HDTV tuner. Via HDMI is different - just a software issue, the hardware is there.

Has SAP been added yet? Current fly watching MLS on Unimas and can’t get the English audio.

Doubt it…5.1 hasn’t either. Real good at adding to the to do list but extremely slow at getting them accomplished. Seems a new device is more important to @TabloTV

Here the ABC channel has an SAP audio stream through the Tablo. ABC is unwatchable. Didn’t have this issue with the HDhomerun. FIX IT Tablo. If you detect multiple audio streams, let us pick which one to use!!!

This is an old post. 5 1 HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED

5.1 is not the issue. capturing the wrong audio stream is. When the SAP has no data it is just a dead stream. Right now during a football game there is no audio on the ABC channel.

Most of the newer TV’s can display information about the SAP channels and their labels.

Too bad you can’t just run the coax into any TV that supports that display and see how the audio channels are labeled.

Just want to bump this feature request. Watching an MLS game on Unimas and at the beginning of the game they say “Switch the SAP channel to hear English commentary”. Seems like we should be able to select the audio track when setting up the recording.

Agreed and want to bump again, is this feature on the roadmap or not?

Since the Tablo can only select one audio track to record for the whole device, I would say that it is not on the roadmap for the network Tablo. However, it might work on the HDMI Tablo, since that records the whole stream.