Router Suggestions?

Even older routers have gigabit LAN ports. Tablo’s maximum number of user streams is 6. The maximum tablo recording quality is 10 Mbps. The users original question indicated that she used powerline adapters - hopefully with a bandwidth of over 100 Mbps.

So if everything tablo is wired there is no tablo requirement for a powerful router. If WiFi is used it’s just a question of whether 5Ghz can be used.

1 Like

If you dont need to do heavy network administration. I can vouch for the Google WiFi routers. We have just a single one (small house) and it has worked really well. 25-30 devices regularly connected and it’s been very solid.

Security is really good on it, administration is via app only so no web administration page or default password to be hacked. They for the recent wifi vulnerabilities patched quickly.

1 Like

@zippy TP-Link AV500 2-port Powerline Starter Kit, Up to 500Mbps (TL-PA4026 KIT)

The netgear R7700-100NAR looks to be very similar in specs and price to the TP Link Archer C7. At about $80-90 or thereabouts, the Archer C7 was a good value for me and works really well. I’m looking to upgrade because I’ve added more devices and am doing more with it.

While I use powerline adapters I don’t use the TP-LINK brand. But the TL-PA4026 is an AV standard versus AV2 standard. And the ethernet ports are limited to 100 Mbps.

Throughput is also limited by the number circuits crossed between the client adapter and the router adapter. But there should be a TP-LINK utility that will indicate the adapters maximum throughput. But since this model is dual ported who knows if the throughput numbers are total of both ports, full duplex, or?

https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/TL-PA4026-KIT.html#Utility

@zippy
I’m afraid you’ve lost me completely now. All I can say is that my Powerline Adapters work fine for me. I have no problems with my Tablo recordings using them. I do occasionally have pixilation when it rains, but that’s a signal problem. Thanks for the info/link though! Handy to have in case…

My Netgear R6400 performs beautifully. At any given time it reports 14 connected devices. When the kids are over it jumps to 18~19. Never hiccups under any conditions. Our Tablo performance is very stable, at every location in the house.

1 Like

[quote=“SophieCat, post:27, topic:14539”]
My Netgear R6400 performs beautifully.
[/quote

I recently moved to the Netgear R6400 because of it’s high ratings on the forum. Best Buy matched the Internet sales price and I have been happy with the change. Changing my router and going to a WD Elements Desktop hard appears to have reduced my problems. I am trying to go with what seems to work.

1 Like

We installed the TP-Link Archer C9 last summer (eight months ago). It performs beautifully for us, we haven’t had to touch this router since the day we installed it . . . not a single reboot, nothing. I suppose I should see if there has been a firmware update, but, I am a big believer in “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

I would check for the firmware update, as there was a major router security breach last year. Don’t know if the C9 was affected, but might be a good idea to check. My C7 had an update available.

Was going to say the same thing! Last year was a “it’s broke, bigtime, fix it” year for routers. I’d do a firmware update ASAP.

Quite honestly, I used to love tinkering with my router (snagged a T-Mobile CellSpot router way back when that was a re-branded Asus RT-AC68U and flashed it with Merlin firmware) but with all the current security concerns and a need for the rest of the family to be able to easily troubleshoot and restart things if needed when I’m at work we ended up going with a Google WiFi router and have been quite happy with it. Doesn’t have near the configure-ability of something like an RT-AC68U but it “just works” and is regularly patched automatically for vulnerabilities. Very “set it and forget it” which is a big plus these days.