Router Suggestions?

I’m moving. My new ISP does not supply a router (I was told no modem is needed as it’s fiber-optic). I don’t know anything about routers. I’d like a reasonably simple and reasonably priced router that will work well with Tablo. Right now, I have Uverse and I have never been able to get my Tablo Connect to work because of the stupid Uverse router. Even Tablo support couldn’t get it configured.

Optinet, the new ISP says any router except Belkins will work. With my current router, I’m using Powerline Adapters, and that will likely continue in the new house as the internet connection is not near the TV.

Suggestions, from experience, would be very much appreciated! Preferably, something I can purchase on Amazon as I have Prime shipping.

Please keep in mind that I’m NOT a techie wizard. Just an old lady who got tired of paying an exorbitant cable bill. :blush:

P.S. I’m leaning towards this one: Linksys EA6350 as it’s Amazon’s Choice and has great reviews. Anyone tried it?

Isn’t Belkin the parent company of Linksys.

And if you plan on using AC WiFi, why would a Linksys EA6350 with a speed of AC1200 be better then a Netgear R6700-100NAS with a speed of AC1750.

The price of the two is the same.

Yes, since 2013.

1 Like

I don’t know! That’s why I’m asking. LOL

I didn’t know about Linksys being the parent company of Belkin. Thank you!

It’s the other way around.
Belkin owns Linksys.

2 Likes

When I bought Tablo 3 years ago, my router wasn’t up to the task, so I bought a TP Link Archer C7, which has mostly done the job for me, and at a decent price point. But, it’s getting a little long in the tooth, and I’m starting to look around. Costco has a NETGEAR Nighthawk X6S AC3000 which looks to be very capable. I set one up for a neighbor yesterday, and was impressed with its performance and features. Nice, strong 5 GHz throughout the entire house. Oh, and Costco has about the best price at just under $200.

2 Likes

Just found the Netgear Nighthawk X6S AC3000 on Amazon this morning for $149.99

It all depends on what you want, but spending $150+ is not necessary. The below will do the job very nicely at less than $100

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Certified-Refurbished-R7000-100NAR-Compatible/dp/B01HW8XSV0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1520791067&sr=8-3&keywords=nighthawk+ac1900&dpID=41xtUg%2BWlxL&preST=SX300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

1 Like

If you read the technical specs for this router, you’ll notice it uses the “beamforming” technology I described in the new Channel Master Smartenna+ UHF\VHF thread. This Netgear router has 6 antennas in a circular fashion which “beamforming” uses to target a specific area a client is in. This is what CM is attempting with their newest TV antenna (actually an array of antennas). Both use multiple antennas to decode the direction from which a request is coming and then concentrate on servicing that specific region. Interesting to see WiFi and TV reception converging conceptually…

So this one uses more UTD technology than the one mentioned above…Netgear R6700-100NAS?

My only concern with the Netgear R6700-100NAS is that it’s over three years old, technology wise. I have NO idea if that’s even relevant.

I don’t do any gaming, so I don’t think I need the R7000.

You must have some idea of what you are looking for and at what price point. Otherwise it wouldn’t matter if the router is 3 years old or not. It could have all the features you could ever use. Especially since some of the more expensive and powerful models are for jamming WiFi over a very large house.

Companies come out with new products ever year not because the vast majority of users need the new version but because a new model with a few features can be sold for higher price (profit margin).

1 Like

Given recent router security vulnerabilities I would go for something a bit newer just because patching of older hardware revisions doesn’t always happen like it should.

This is essentially my point. If you aren’t a gamer or put a heavy load on a wifi system & you just need one for surfing the internet & distributing OTA through your home via Tablo, then there are a number of routers under the $100 price point that will do the job admirably. 3 year old tech is newer than Tablo, so no you don’t need the lastest & greatest router that is highly over priced.

It’s not unlike smart phones, many people feel they need to have the latest models that run at $500 & up, but in reality most people don’t need anything more than a 3 year old model you can still get brand new for $100. The newer models just have a few bells & whistles that most people never use, and that really add very little in value.

Tablo puts more load on your Wifi system than any gaming and most other streaming.

And yet my 3 year old model that cost me approximately $90 handles sending 3 Tablo streams at once with no issues.

I e[quote=“rccolts, post:15, topic:14539”]
And yet my 3 year old model that cost me approximately $90 handles sending 3 Tablo streams at once with no issues.
[/quote]

Good for you.

Have I offended you in some way? I most certainly didn’t intend to, I am simply giving my input to a new Tablo user. And my point that you can get a router (with a little research) that will be more than adequate for less than $100 is valid. One does not need the latest & greatest & over priced router.

1 Like

Thank you @Nilex. This is what I always think about in terms of technology. Not that I need the latest bells and whistles. I don’t even use an iPhone. I have a Huawei Honor 8 Android phone which I love.

So I appreciate your observation. :heart_eyes:

Just to clarify, I’m not a new Tablo user. I bought a 4-tuner when they first came out. I’ve simply never purchased a router before and know very little about them. My current ISP provided the router I have now and until recently, I had no idea I had the option to provide my own. Now, with the new ISP, I have to provide one as they don’t supply routers.

JMO, but the router market is not unlike the cell phone market. You can spend a lot of money for the latest & greatest, but you can also spend much less on something that will more than be adequate for your needs. With just a little research I’m sure you’ll find want suits your needs & wants.