Roku Popping

Hey guys,

This isn’t specifically a Tablo issue. I have a Roku 3 (currently totally updated) plugged directly into an Insignia HDTV via HDMI cable. The Roku streams my Tablo, Hulu, YouTube, and Netflix. There is absolutely no issue with picture or sound quality when they are working but I keep getting a “popping” or “crackle” in the audio fairly often and it goes right back to normal (no video issues when this happens). This happens on any of the streams including the Tablo DVR. I used to stream via a blu-ray and never had this issue. I tried changing the HDMI cable and using a different input on the HDTV but that didn’t help. Any suggestions because other than this everything is really great. Thanks!

it may be an issue with the tv itself. i’ve experienced this when the tv switches from one video connection to another, mistakenly thinking there was no signal from the current connection. there could be a brief interruption on the hdmi input you are using. try another hdmi input and see if it still happens.

there could be a brief interruption on the hdmi input you are using. try another hdmi input and see if it still happens.
I agree - my first step in trouble shooting this problem would also be to replace the HDMI cable and rule that out.  Easy to test and a possible source for the noise you describe.

Also, google your model of Insignia, could be a connector issue there (speaking from experience with other devices).

I switched the HDMI cable and that did not correct the issue. So I moved it to another HDMI input and it still does it (although slightly less perhaps). I must admit, the television was purchased in 2009 so it predates much of the current Roku technology. I was thinking I might switch the TV with another (in the bedroom) I purchased in 2014 that might be more compatible. Does that sound like a reasonable attempt? Thanks for your help!

Instead of swapping TVs, take the Roku to the other TV and test it. See if you get any issues.

Instead of swapping TVs, take the Roku to the other TV and test it. See if you get any issues.

Definitely do this…

And it is unlikely that there is any ‘compatibility’ issue at hand.  Sounds more like the audio hardware in either the TV or Roku is just crapping out.

Well, a couple of years ago we have a cable box that pretty much did the samr thing on this same TV and I ended up hooking up using composite instead of HDMI - that’s what makes me think it might be the TV. The Roku 3 is brand new. Just purchased last Friday