Roku from outside the LAN, will it ever happen?

I’m sure this has been asked 1000 times, but can someone give it to me straight, what are the odds that Tablo will enable/allow their Roku app to work on a Roku not on the Tablo LAN? Would be great to watch it from a hotel or second home/RV.
Since you can do it via your laptop and cast or hdmi that to a tv, and dish network allows it via an app, I don’t think they can hide behind any Hollywood copyright concerns.
Someone level with me, should I expect this anytime in the reasonable future?

The odds are 99.9999%.

The timeline is the hard part.

We generally don’t share specific details about the roadmap because priorities can change and engineering resources aren’t infinite.

That being said, I can give a bit of context to this feature and how it fits into the current product architecture…

Over the last couple of years we’ve been slowly moving to a newer back-end communication method between the Tablo and the various apps.

This requires each feature to first be built and available via Tablo’s firmware. Then the apps can start using the new method to request the information they need from the Tablo.

Tablo Connect is one of if not THE last big feature that isn’t yet available on this new back-end which is what’s keeping it from being on Roku and Apple TV. (Amazon Fire TV still uses the ‘old way’ but will get the new version when it’s done.)

The good news is that a large majority of the priorities that have been keeping us from this task have been crossed off the to-do list. Everything about the feature is spec-ed out and our engineering team is just as anxious to get this done as you are anxious to enjoy it.

I know patience is hard, especially when you’ve been waiting for such a long time for this feature to be on this platform, but that’s where we’re at.

3 Likes

1 Like

Future:

Tablo releases non-pairing requirement for remote connectivity, Tablo Connect.

Kid in the World of the Future:

My great grandfather told me about the days of television.

2 Likes