Roku Express vs Roku Streaming Stick

Has anyone tried Tablo with the Roku Express and Roku Streaming Stick. Curious to thoughts on the comparison of the two. I am planning to purchase one for a 42 inch Vizio 1080p TV.

@David2 - The 2016 streaming stick (black body) has a lot more power than the Express. It also has a point anywhere remote vs. line-of-sight which might be a factor depending on where you’re planning to place the unit.

One of a few times we’d recommend a stick vs. a box, but when it comes to streaming boxes, you generally get what you pay for.

We’re planning to do an updated blog post on compatible set-top-boxes so stay tuned for that.

I assume you will mention all new Roku boxes, sticks, fire tv stick, Mi box. NP is still goid but need to purchase used.

Do you think the black body stick has enough power to run Tablo and the obvious other basics like Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix? Is the express not up to the task?

I have the newest version of the Roku Stick and it can handle those great. I actually upgraded from a 5 year old Roku 2 and the stick is dramatically better. I was worried I was going to miss the network jack but since the Stick supports AC wireless I haven’t really had any issues. I haven’t used the Express but based on reviews it sounds rather under powered. If slight delays while navigating don’t bother you and cost is a major factor then you’ll probably be able to get by with the Express. If you don’t mind spending a little more get the newest stick. If it says it has a quad core on the back of the box you’ll know it’s the latest model.

1 Like

Really helpful. Thanks.

I picked up the Roku Express+ yesterday and was going to use it on an older TV using the Composite out. Bad idea, really slow and just didn’t work out. I was going to take it back but decided to put it in the kid’s room on his 32" since it has 2 HDMI inputs. Much better. It’s not nearly as fast as the new Roku Sticks and has IR remote without all the other bells and whistles but it works fine. PlayStation VUE streams fine with it along with HULU and a few other Streaming Apps I tried on it. I can’t say for the Tablo cause I don’t have that anymore but wouldn’t recommend it for that as you need the fastest device you can get.