Roku channel update and remote connection for roku?

Hey guys just was wondering if you could give an update on this as it was hinted at before but its still not hear. Was wondering if you might be able to share a little more detailed update.

I bought 2 quad tuners when they first came out 1 for remote and I really did expect that remote functionally for roku would have been implemented by now.

Thanks guys
-Chris

Hi Chris -

This is a difficult thing to implement on Roku. We’d still like to do it but I don’t have an ETA on when we’ll get there.

On a more positive note, while we haven’t yet tested this, we’re pretty sure that Tablo Connect will work on Amazon Fire TV & Android TV as those apps are based on our web app.

The sideloaded Android web app works with Tablo Connect on the Fire TV Stick.

As for getting remote viewing to work with a Roku you can always set up a router acting as a VPN client at your remote location. Connect the Roku to that router and you can use your Roku to view Tablo remotely.

The sideloaded Android web app works with Tablo Connect on the Fire TV Stick.

As for getting remote viewing to work with a Roku you can always set up a router acting as a VPN client at your remote location. Connect the Roku to that router and you can use your Roku to view Tablo remotely.

If there was a login and password instead of pairing, it would work.  However, with username and password, people can share it and they would have to limit you to only so many streams.  By using the pairing method, you have unlimited streams.  Since the Roku 3 has a usb port, perhaps putting something on the usb thumb drive that marks the Roku 3 as paired.

This is a difficult thing to implement on Roku. We'd still like to do it but I don't have an ETA on when we'll get there.

On a more positive note, while we haven't yet tested this, we're pretty sure that Tablo Connect will work on Amazon Fire TV & Android TV as those apps are based on our web app.

Whats the problem with implementing on the Roku? 

Understanding it’s a similar but different product Simple.TV has supposed remote accessing with a Roku away from the home Tablo network.

You could use the Tablo Plex channel to watch remotely.  Or connect the Roku locally to your network and then try using it away from your network.  I don’t know if the Tablo Roku app will remember that it is paired. @TabloSupport will this work?

Tablo Connect and pairing does not work with the Roku channel.

@theuser86 @TabloSupport will it work with the new Roku channel?

@beastman

From my knowledge, no it does not. It’s a feature for later.

Read my suggestion above about VPN to do remote viewing with Tablo.

I really like the tablo interface, but i will be returning it because of this missing functionality.

@David_Burr

That is pretty harsh. There is no other DVR out there that I know that lets you watch TV / recordings on the Roku remotely.

Like I said the Fire TV and Android TV apps let you watch remotely.

simple.tv does

@David_Burr

Lol from every other perspective Tablo has Simple.TV beat. Previous Simple.TV owner, horrible support.

I was referring to credible DVRs such as TiVo or Channel Master DVR+.

Please let us know how your Simple.TV set up compares later. It’s always good to have alternatives.

if the fireTV works I will keep it. i cant get TV at my house so i just need a device to stream from my office.
I really like the interface of tablo.

Any update on this? Been hoping for it for a while, but I have the older Roku. Perhaps it was implemented on the new Roku units and I’ve been missing out.

I’ve been waiting for the tablo to support remote viewing on Roku for years!

Have you added it yet??

1 Like