Roku 1 or 3?

I would like to know if the roku 1 is as good as the roku 3 to run the tablo apps. The roku 1 on sale now at BB Canada.

Since I will only use the roku for my tablo, I don't see any advantage using the roku 3...

Whatzit-  Does your roku 1 have problem streaming regular 720P recording?

I’ve never recorded anything with the Tablo, like I said I’ve only used Tablo’s Live TV feature.  On other Roku channels like (“on demand”) Crackle and  (“live”) Ebru, etc. I haven’t seen anything I wouldn’t blame on the ISP. 

I bought my first three Rokus direct when Roku sold them for $10 off.  I bought the other four when WalMart had them for $28 Black Friday 2014.  My choice was primarily economics, besides that the Roku 3 wouldn’t have worked on half of my TVs.

theuser86 is correct about the Roku 3 having a faster processor.  Personally I can live with slow, as long as it’s stable.

Roku 3. Better WiFi and has the option of hard wiring it.

I didn’t see the advantage either.  I have seven Roku 1 devices on my 2.4G network (the Roku 1 is 2.4G only, the 3 is dual-band plus a wired jack).  Tablo recently fixed their Roku app so the composite output of the 1 (and 2) now works with older TVs, I have three of those, so the Roku 3 wasn’t an option for those sets because it’s HDMI only. 

We’re only a two-users and for now live TV only, if it were a larger family and we were using more of the Tablo’s features there might be bandwidth issues and I’d wish I had the option for dual band so I could upgrade the WiFi.  But as it is, I’m happy with the choice of the Roku 1.

I didn't see the advantage either.  I have seven Roku 1 devices on my 2.4G network (the Roku 1 is 2.4G only, the 3 is dual-band plus a wired jack).  Tablo recently fixed their Roku app so the composite output of the 1 (and 2) now works with older TVs, I have three of those, so the Roku 3 wasn't an option for those sets because it's HDMI only. 

We're only a two-users and for now live TV only, if it were a larger family and we were using more of the Tablo's features there might be bandwidth issues and I'd wish I had the option for dual band so I could upgrade the WiFi.  But as it is, I'm happy with the choice of the Roku 1.

Whatzit-  Does your roku 1 have problem streaming regular 720P recording?

As well given the new Roku UI coming I would go with the 3. Just for the responsiveness. I wouldn’t be surprised if when released the new Tablo UI is slower on the Roku 1.

We generally recommend the 3 because of the ability to hardwire and because of the faster processing. Always nice to have the latest & greatest, especially when it’s not that much more expensive than the alternative.

@Whatzit

You don’t use Tablo as a DVR at all?

You could just use the tuners in the HDTVs then. The OTA antenna can be split and sent to those TVs without signal loss using a distributed amplifier.

@Whatzit

You don’t use Tablo as a DVR at all?

You could just use the tuners in the HDTVs then. The OTA antenna can be split and sent to those TVs without signal loss using a distributed amplifier.

That would mean I would have to run a physical link of either coaxial hardline, copper pairs or fiber optics 300+ feet from the shop building where the tower is and the residence where the majority of the TVs are. 

As it is, the two buildings are connected via WiFi.  The residence has the DHCP router, the shop has a second router configured in AP mode so there’s only one subnet.  The Tablos use wired ports into the AP in the shop, but their connection to the DHCP router in the residence is WiFi.  So in my application the Tablos are simply used to get the OTA signal onto the IP network where it’s then distributed using the Roku 1 endpoints.

@Whatiz

Channel switching would be faster and the whole solution of running cable would be cheaper. But guess DVR is a plus if you eventually use it.

@Whatiz

Channel switching would be faster and the whole solution of running cable would be cheaper.

Please give me a quote on a turnkey installation of a 300’ run of 75 ohm .750" direct burial hardline (length approximate, site survey is suggested)  installed in conduit with pull-boxes a minimum of every 100’, end pull boxes less than 3’ from buildings, hardline run into buildings and terminated on remote side with F-type connector, all cabling grounded to NEMA specs.  Combine signal from two existing antennas at headend into two outputs, connect one output to hardline.  Include in your quote any distribution amplifiers necessary to maintain signal without loss from headend to remote location.  NOTE:  All aesthetics of the interior installations and grounds restoration after trenching to be subject to my wife’s approval. Please state the warranty offered on your installation.  Customer to be responsible for connection and distribution of signal at remote site, and connection of second post-combiner output at headend.

Seriously, < $800 for two Tablos and HDDs is a bargain.  A month of streaming Roku channels will break one’s channel surfing habit.  Like I said, I can deal with slow as long as it’s stable.  :slight_smile:

We generally recommend the 3 because of the ability to hardwire and because of the faster processing. Always nice to have the latest & greatest, especially when it's not that much more expensive than the alternative.

Which Rokus will run the new Roku app [well]?

@wizwor - I know the goal is to still have Roku 1, 2 & 3 well supported by the new app. 

thank you.  no stick?  

@wizwor - Yep - we’ll support the stick as well but it’s been dicey with our testing. Some people love it but we found that (like most dongles) the WiFi antenna is tiny and doesn’t work in all situations. 

Size matters.

I would get a roku 3 or 4. I just bought the Roku 4 and it is awesome, but the Roku 3 is excellent as well. The Roku 1 is old and soon to be outdated and has less channels and options than the Roku 3. Roku has a comparison page that I found really helpful in making my decision. I have also read many reviews and most will say the Roku 3 is a better value because it is less expensive than the 4 and does almost the same things. The 3 is a dual core and the 4 is a quad core processor, so it should be faster, but in tests, it is barely noticeable. Also 4 is future proofed for 4K T.V.'s. The reasons I bought the Roku 4 is because of the faster processor and it is the only one that offers the newest 802.11 ac MIMO wireless features (which my router and modem support.). I almost forgot, the 3 and 4 offer a voice remote control with headphone jack in the controller. Voice search makes life much easier when looking for shows on the Roku, If you get a 3 make sure you get the 2015 version of the Roku 3.

This thread is over a year old lol

True, but I can see people having the same question or something similar. I guess I could start a new topic, but it seemed unnecessary.