Remote Viewing via app in second location (2nd Tablo box)

I purchased a 4 tuner Tablo for my home. I am considering getting a Metro for another location. How would I access this via my Firetv app or my iPad since there is no way to access it via a login? There needs to be a way to select a specific tablo to use and be able to login via app you want to use. Slingbox is a great example, your account shows the Sldinboxs that are yours or shared and once you login, you have access to available units. If the metro lives up to the hype, there is a good chance I would add another.

Do you mean a separate home or just a 2nd spot in your home?

If it is a 2nd spot in your home, then just connected it to your home network, and you can switch between your Tablos on any device.

If it is a 2nd home, then you would need to get it set up in that home and make sure the Tablo Connect functionality is all set up. Then bring your FireTv and your iPad to that home and connect to that Tablo at least once. You can then bring those devices back to the original home and use both Tablos.

Another option is to set up a VPN between the two locations so that it appears as a single network.

The only device that can’t use Tablo Connect are Rokus.

2 Likes

2nd home. What happens if I have to replace a phone or upgrade a device? It doesn’t make sense to have to do that. A login will take care of all of that just like Slingbox does. I want to make sure there is a good solution before I invest in another box.

Why do you need 2 Tablos?

Just VPN both places so they’re on the same network. Very easy to do. All devices will appear local to each other. This way all Rokus will see both Tablos too.

Also what is the upload speed of the Internet at said 2nd location?

Tablo has said they will be looking at the pairing requirement and might have name / password as MOST other programs do. What will happen when you upgrade your Tablo as I did yesterday and you LOSE remote access? Is @TabloTV going to provide you a plane ticket to go and renable remote pairing? I don’t like the pairing thing, and I also don’t like having to use their website to watch remotely. I should be able to have a fixed IP and use my tablo with it configured on my router. Yes, I know I am a computer geek. There should be an OPTION for the computer challenged.

1 Like

VPN is not an option. The 2nd location isn’t my house. Think Aereo if you know what that is.

If Tablo is going to compete with Tivo, ChannelMaster and others, they will need options like these. Makes sense, they will sell more boxes.

None of those boxes can do such a thing.

I am aware of that. Tablo needs to be user friendly and easier to understand. The more features they add, the more they will be able to compete with the leaders of the DVR market.

Actually better than Aereo. I could NOT watch Austin TV when in San Antonio and I can with Tablo.

For sure. With the login feature, we can basically setup your own “Aereo” type setup if you are from another area of the the US and wanted to see your local channels without restrictions. Any word about the Tablo Metro? If the built-in antennas work well, that may be a serious winner.

This is a commonly requested feature. Tablo says they are working on it. But no way is it a priority. Tablo was designed to be used locally and then remotely once in a while by those local users hence the pairing.

Tablo Connect (aka remote viewing) works very well for me. I use the Tablo remotely on a Fire TV, iPad Air, and iPhone 6. I actually also use it remotely with a Roku 3 via VPN, works great.

You still haven’t even indicated if the upload speed will suffice to stream the Tablo? For the 720p Roku / Chromecast quality setting I found you need a 10 MBps upload speed where the Tablo is being hosted.

1 Like

This is the one thing that Simple.tv could do that Tablo could not. It was a pretty great feature. It also meant you didn’t have to pair your devices with a Simple.tv before you went remote, and you could log into any computer in the world and access your device. Defiantly something I would like to see Tablo implement.

I tried at the gym today on in iPad Mini 2, and it worked well. Cant wait for the automatic bandwidth setting. I have my Slingbox in a location that has 50mb upload and the most I have seen it go up to is around 7mb on my FireTV. I need to check on the upload speed at the remote location. My upload speed here is about 3.5mb and the picture on my iPad Mini looked good from the gym.

I really was thinking the Connect was their “cloud integration”. So that you can have multiple Tablo’s under 1 account no matter location. Very much like Plex only integrated. I’m on the fence to ever purchase this or Silicondust Kickstarter.

@ryan8382

They have a return policy - if you already have an OTA antenna setup, purchase and test it. You may be pleasantly surprised. If not, you get a full refund.

Most of us have some external HDD lying around for testing purposes. Or even an extra internal HDD (you can buy a USB enclosure for $10).

Let us know what you decide.

@koltasi

With the iPad, what remote quality setting did you have it set to? 3 Mbps?

I might try that.

Yes. I tried 2 and 3. Both looked good.

You should note that streaming a recording remotely at a setting other than “Full Quality” uses a tuner to transcode the video to a lower quality for said streaming. So if you have only a dual tuner and 2 tuners recording shows then you will not be able to stream remotely.