Remote Streaming Quality?

I’m trying to understand if there is any correlation between “live TV quality” and remote streaming quality. When I am at home in my house I want full HD live quality so I set 8mbps. When I leaving on vacation and my hotel internet is slower I use 2mbps for my remote streaming quality setting. Do I need to also lower my live tv quality when remote streaming? I’m trying to understand if there is any affect if I have live TV set high and remote set lower.

Basically I am remotely streaming the live TV signal from my antenna through the Tablo on a remote device over the internet so does having a better quality live signal where the Tablo is located have any effect if a lower quality setting for remote streaming is used.

The main thing I recall setting remote viewing quality to anything besides the highest level is pause, rewind, and fast forward become disabled.

Thank, I’m not sure if I’m just streaming remotely the live TV from my antenna that’s on my Tablo that I need to use pause, fast forward, etc.

Nope.

If you’re watching remotely, all video will get transcoded to whatever your remote streaming quality is.

That being said, if you set your live TV and/or recording quality LOWER and then set your remote streaming quality to ‘full’ you’ll have more control over playback as mentioned.

But let’s say you want to watch a recording that was made before you left at 8 MBPS, and your remote streaming quality is set to full, it’ll really struggle to stream on a low bandwidth connection.

So there are tradeoffs.

Thanks that’s what I needed to know, I’m only watching my antenna channels, no recordings so I don’t need that control. So I will plan on leaving live TV on 8 mbps HD and my remote streaming on 2mbps so I don’t get buffering on slower hotel internet!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.