Remote access setup streaming quality question

Just setting up remote access for the first time as a test. Using my iPad.
I’ve enabled remote access on the tablo quad. That went well and appears to have done the setup automatically.
I have fast internet at the Tablo location and at our cottage. I’m not sure what “Streaming Quality” to choose. 4Mb/s? How bad is it at 1Mb/sec?
I have accessed the Tablo on the iPad at home. There is no indication that it’s “paired” with the Tablo.
Planning to take the iPad to the cottage tomorrow and give this a try. Am I missing something? Do I just open the iPad’s Tablo app at the cottage and use it?

Yep. You can test the pairing by connecting the iPad to a hotspot WiFi network on your cell phone and see if it connects.

If your home internet has fast upload speed (the key is upload speed which is different than your download speed), then set your RSQ to Full Quality.

What is the Recording Quality set to on your Tablo?

Recording is set to highest quality. Everything in the house is on wired network except, of course, the phones and tablets. I have a 24-port patch panel in the basement, a 24 port gigabit switch, and the Tablo is wired to that as is the TV and anything else with an ethernet port.

1 Like

200Mbs down and 12Mbs up. Just tested.

So the recording quality is set to 1080p 10 Mbps?

Even with 12 Mbps upload speed, you likely will run into buffering issues when using your iPad remotely with the RSQ set to Full Quality. Let us know who it goes.

Will do. If her recordings buffer (because almost all of them are hers) she may just have to deal with it. For myself I’m actually more interested if we’ll be able to watch live TV… although I know THAT is affected by recording quality as well.

Take a read of below for why you might experience buffering.

Note that using a RSQ of less than FQ will use a tuner to transcode recordings from the original recording quality to a lower quality.

ok, so I’m at the cottage. My iPad connects to the Tablo back home and I can watch live TV and recordings on the iPad.
Now the fun begins…
I turn on the TV (a Roku TV) and then go to the iPad and turn on screen mirroring (Air Play). It connects to the TV and I see the Tablo interface. Live grid shows up fine, Recordings are all there, but when I actually try to watch something, no video plays. On the iPad it says it’s playing the video through Air Play, but the TV is a black screen.
Thoughts?

Airplay via Roku is a bit of a new thing and not something we’ve looked at closely so it may not work as expected. We’ll be reviewing that as part of the wholesale update of the iOS app that we’re working on now.

Don’t use screen mirroring, just try AirPlay’ing the recording after it has already began on your iPad.

I can AirPlay from my iPhone and iPad to Roku.

just tried this. Same result. This is airplay to a Roku TV, not a standalone Roku device. The Tablo app itself airplays to the TV. Just nothing when trying to airplay a video… which is basically everything.

and just confirmed that video from youtube works as expected. Maybe it’s a specific setting like a recording quality? Or does it all go out to remote at a set quality?

I’m insanely jealous about your home network… sounds like what I’d like to do someday.

It’s a single story home with a full basement. When we bought it we knew we were going to have it completely rewired and a new electrical service upgrade.
I took that opportunity to run cat5e everywhere along with several coax runs. It was insanely easy if a bit time consuming.

1 Like

I thought cat5e died years ago and users had moved on to cat6 or cat7.

I ordered a pair of gigabit powerline adapters which were delivered in 24 hours. Took an 8 port gigabit switch I already had and plugged the switch uplink into the powerline. Connected 3 tablo’s, hdhomerun, roku, and gigabit WiFi access point to the switch.

Bam. Done in 15 minutes.

In fairness, @yardbird didn’t say how long ago they purchased the house. :slight_smile:

12 years ago. And cat5e is still being installed.
cat6 is overkill for residential use.
cat6 gets out to about 165 ft and then speed drops back to gigbit.
cat5e supports gigabit speed at a more cost effective price point. Most devices in the home will never use the enhanced capabilities of cat6.

(retired university IT guy)

2 Likes

Is your Roku TV running Roku OS 10 yet?

They introduced AirPlay on Roku OS 9 but I had problems with it. Now that my Roku Premiere+ is on OS 10, AirPlay works better.

yeah, I checked that first. The tv is running the latest os.
I’m trying to find any other video that won’t work with airplay and so far it’s only the Tablo app. I suppose if this continues, I can bring our appletv to the cottage since we really don’t use it for anything at home.
So… airplay works from the iPad to the roku tv. And the Tablo app does show up on the TV. I can navigate through the app and see recordings, the live grid, etc. It just chokes if I try to watch anything. No video plays. Video format maybe?

As the newer of the two standards, it’s perhaps no surprise that Cat6 cables typically offer better insulation for their internal wires, as well as enhanced performance. Cat5e improved its shielding over the older Cat5 standard, but Cat6 must adhere to stricter standards for crosstalk and external noise mitigation than Cat5e.

Cat6 cables achieve greater performance standards in a few different ways. The most common is the use of a “spline.” That is effectively a longitudinal separator that isolates the individual wires, which further protects against crosstalk between the 4 wire pairs. It also has the added benefit of making Cat6 cables more durable and prevents stretching. That can make them more rigid, though, so Cat6 cables with splines aren’t necessarily the best for the tightest of turns.

Whether you’re setting up a home network, replacing old cables, or looking to enhance your workplace LAN, Cat6 cables offer more. They can support faster data transfers, are typically more durable, and they offer better options for insulation against crosstalk and internal noise. The Cat5e vs. Cat6 debate is one that’s easily won by Cat6 if you focus entirely on features.

(retired software R&D)