Remote access not working - 1/6/2020

This depends on the upload speed of the internet where your Tablo is located. I have my Remote Streaming Quality set to Full Quality.

On my Etherneted desktop computer the speed test is a little bit over 200 Mbps. Tablo is Etherneted as well.

200 Mbps for “upload” speed? That is very fast! Are you sure you’re not quoting the “download” speed? They are different.

Download is over 200 Mbps upload was 12 Mbps.

With an upload speed of 12 Mbps, you should be able to set the RSQ to FQ even if your Tablo’s recording quality is set to 1080p 10 Mbps (you didn’t specify what RQ you have you Tablo set to). If you notice buffering of the video, you can lower the RSQ.

I have recording and live TV quality set to 720 - 3 Mbps. I set RSQ to FQ. We’ll see how it goes. I will try to remember to test it out several times a week when we’re away. I have a pay as you go cell phone (about $7. per month) so I’m not planning on watching a lot of TV without WiFi available. But some short tests won’t hurt much.

PAYG for data? Streaming video will use a lot of data and might cost a lot.

You pay for chunks of data and when you start to get low you buy more. I use very little data. And yeah I realize streaming uses a lot of data. That’s why I do very little of it on my phone unless I’m on my WiFi.

There really needs to be a way to assign the Tablo a static IP address, rather than assigning a “reserved” IP address in the router. These are NOT the same thing.
For remote access to our Florida Tablo, I’ve “reserved” the IP address in my router and assigned the recommended port forwarding settings to that IP address. That works until the router is reset, and then it seems to forget the IP reservation, giving a new IP address to the Tablo. That doesn’t help me when I’m in NJ and won’t be physically able to fix it without returning to FL. Why the router occasionally resets is a mystery to me, but it sometimes does. The IP reservation gets forgotten, but the port forwarding to the previous IP address is retained.
If I could assign a static IP address to the Tablo, outside of the routers default DHCP range, then the the remote access should continue to work, even after the reset.
Or, I may have to break down and buy a modem/router that doesn’t have this problem.

Get a new router or load better stable third party firmware on it such as DD-WRT.

1 Like

Static IP addresses (public IP) are assigned by your ISP (I have AT&T and they charge me $15 per month for a static IP - it comes with 5 public IP addresses).

Every time you reboot your router, the chances of your IP changing are increased.

He or she did not mean their external IP address, they meant the internal IP address assigned to their Tablo by their router.