Remote access... all mesed up now.... ports changed, tried to reset up, tried old and new ports

Also just checking and unchecking the box won't do it, You actually need to hit the "retest port mappings" button that appears when you uncheck and recheck the tablo connect box.
@cjcox -- Not sure if this is a type on your end but its 8887 not 887.  Mine is setup as

21102 -> 8887
21100 -> 80
21101 to 443 

and all works perfectly fine.

Also I didn't see mention of it so if you did... sorry, but do you have your router assigning the same address to your tablo (essentially giving it a static ip)?

Yes… typo on my part.  I do have a static IP assigned.  Again, it was working until I decided to “please” the Tablo and change the ports.  And now I can’t even go back apparently.  Weird.  But I’ll revisit it all again tonight just to make sure (maybe I did make a typo).

@cjcox -- Not sure if this is a type on your end but its 8887 not 887.  Mine is setup as

21102 -> 8887
21100 -> 80
21101 to 443 

and all works perfectly fine.

Also I didn't see mention of it so if you did... sorry, but do you have your router assigning the same address to your tablo (essentially giving it a static ip)?

Yes… typo on my part.  I do have a static IP assigned.  Again, it was working until I decided to “please” the Tablo and change the ports.  And now I can’t even go back apparently.  Weird.  But I’ll revisit it all again tonight just to make sure (maybe I did make a typo).

@cjcox  I have an AT&T Uverse router so I have no idea if what I will share will help but worth a try. Tablo Support suggested I only set up Tablo Connect forwarding only to ports 8887 and 80 which I did and I am able to connect remotely.  The little button is orange not blue but it still works.  They also said to try forwarding to port 9443 if ignoring 443 didn’t work.  So when I set it up in my router I did manual forwards to include only 8887 and 80.  Good luck!

@mullermj what public ports do you have open?  can you post a screenshot from your uverse RG screen?  i have uverse also

@tacopeland, U-verse uses a variety of routers (over time).  Mine is a 2-wire.  I didn’t get to experiment with it last night, perhaps tonight.

I have the 2-wire as well, but the UI should be the same

I opened up a support ticket for this.  I’ll let you guys know what i hear 

Hi there,

It appears that a few Uverse and 2Wire routers are blocking the standard SSL (443) port to the Tablo; when you try and create the mappings, and this one is included, it will defunct any rules going to the device in question. In this case, the Tablo.

Fortunately, we got Tablo Connect working without the 443 port. To get the Tablo Connect feature working again, just delete the port mapping using port 443, and keep the other two mappings there. Re-test from your Tablo, and it should reflect this - even without port 443, it will work.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

David 
Tablo Support
Monday-Friday 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM ET

@tacopeland 

Yep - just to chime in here. Some routers won’t allow SSL to be mapped to a device on the network at all. If you try, they’ll invalidate any/all port mappings to that device, thereby rendering all of your rules useless. The work around is to disable the SSL (443) mapping and use Tablo Connect without it enabled.

INF     2014-12-02T22:04:38-06:00       fw,fwmon        src= dst= ipprot=6 sport=1313 dport=21102 Session Matches User Pinhole, Packet Passed

In order to view custom pinholes, you have to dettach them (stupid ATT)… anyhow, here is how they are defined.  When assigned, I have them associated with my Tablo via static address.

Protocol,  Port (or range),    Host Port
tcp     21100   80
tcp     21102   8887
tcp     21101   443

When my phone attempts connect (while not on the WiFi), you get the log entry above repeated… as my phone reattempts connection every  6 “clicks”.

@TabloSupport, disabling the port forward for 443 did the trick (wow).  I have nothing good to say about ATT.

Just to add more to this.  The “feature” that prevents this is the new support that ATT added for their new wireless receivers which uses 443.  Of course, I have no receivers at all so this is really stupid.  Can we all say how stupid ATT is?  I mean, why are they using a reserved port for their “system” communication?  And why use it when it’s not even used?  Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I can say all of this… I used to work for ATT.

Oh… and I’m guessing that Tablo chose 443 in a weird attempt to thwart (emphais on “thwart”) corporate firewalls and VPN scenarios.  But I’m just guessing at that.  Don’t thwart.  People know how to dance around the normal corporate thingies on their own.

Works for me now!

I have an AT&T issued Arris NVG589 router/modem. I have forwarded the ports (ports 21060-21062) successfully (tried with and without forwarding Port 21061 to Port 443). While I can remotely access Tablo from Verizon wireless (or from an Aircard on my computer), the my.tablotv.com page hangs in connecting mode when I try to access from any remote wi-fi.

Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

On your computer, what browser are you using? And to confirm, you can connect using that computer when on the local network?

@jdoe I’m just echoing @theuser86 - but can you confirm that you can connect using that device on your lcoal network first?

Thanks for your help.

I am using Chrome. I can connect on my home wi-fi - but not on wi-fi at work (but can connect at work using Verizon wireless connection). Is it possible that the firewall on the server at work is causing mischief? I guess I should go try this at Starbucks. 

Thanks for your help.

I am using Chrome. I can connect on my home wi-fi - but not on wi-fi at work (but can connect at work using Verizon wireless connection). Is it possible that the firewall on the server at work is causing mischief? I guess I should go try this at Starbucks. 

Yes you should - work Internet is always got weird protective spells on it.

Do you know if the AT&T Arris NVG589 is one of the routers that will not allow port forwarding involving port 443 or is it just the AT&T 2-Wire routers? I have tried it both with port 443 forwarding and without port 443 forwarding. Can still remotely access Tablo on Verizon wireless in both cases and cannot access Tabl from work wi-fi in both cases. Any reason not to forward port 443?