Recording too much

I have noticed when recording a TV show on CBS that it records for 1.5 hours instead of the 1 hour and 1 min.that my settings allow. This doesn’t happen for other TV channels.
I have the Quad model with OTA connection. This didn’t happen before the latest update 2.2.34

It’s likely because of this…

Are these 1.5 hour recordings for episodes that are finales or live shows? 50% buffer is added to them.

There was very little notification or description of the is feature when it was added. Was it turned on by default? I hate when companies add new features and don’t ask if the user wants them activated! This behavior has been driving us nuts for several weeks, especially since the unit won’t index the shows until after the recording is finished.

At least now I know that it’s a feature, not a bug and found out how to turn it off.

1 Like

That feature has been in place for a year or more. It’s not new.

This is by no means a new feature, it has been around since at least 2015. Maybe even before that. See thread below.

https://community.tablotv.com/t/extend-live-recordings-feature/

The extra 50% only occurs if it doesn’t cause a scheduling conflict.

It’s not like users are being strapped to a chair, with their eyes taped open, being forced to watch the extra 50%. When the show ends just stop the playback.

Although it’s not new… apparently, it’s abhorrently misleading. Not that adding to a series finale is something users will likely be against. Extend live recordings gives no clue there is any more involved. Oh, it’s a feature? It’s a cause for concern for the few visiting the Community forum, likely more on social sites and those unsure.

It is not mentioned in any of the product information. When it was announced in 2018 Now Available: Advanced Recording Features for Tablo OTA DVRs | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo it noted “airings marked as ‘live’ in your Tablo’s guide data by 50%, up to 2 hours” (there is reference to a support page… dated in 2021, clearing up confusion(?) ) But at the time there is no mention of the finale extension.

If/when you do find the documentation… how do you find a filter for season finales ?

This post, How to Set Recordings on Your Tablo OTA DVR | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo claims it applies to premiers as well

Extend Live Recordings – Also enabled by default, this setting will automatically extend recordings by 50% of the total run time up to 2 hours for all TV programs marked ‘live’ like sports and awards shows. It’ll do the same for season premieres and finales.

While the support page - What’s included in the Tablo’s Smart Scheduling features? – Tablo states it’s only for finales…

When enabled, Tablo will add 50% of the total scheduled time for Live recordings and season/series finales, up to a maximum of 2 hours

So you don’t get to know if you’re recording a finale, and if you record a premiere you may or may not get an extension as well. While there is a filterer tab for those…

As asked in the past “who cares” – there seems to be users who do care, while those whom may not… shouldn’t negate the persistence questions of the obscure “documentation”.

Tablo has lots of features. Is anyone happy with all of them. Probably not.

This feature goes way back. It’s so old that it predates when the guide had season finale properly marked in most episodes. It would be in the episode description but not the guide metadata.

If it’s a deal breaker - move on.

Documentation could be better, centralized instead of through reading every FAQ, Blog and Community post. Just my two cents.

Another issue with this feature is that it is inconsistent. 90% of shows on two networks are extended, series/season finale or not. About 25% of shows on other networks are extended, finale or not.

Yes better documentation would be better.

@zippy it’s not a deal breaker, but it is annoying that it seems to have suddenly been turned on without my being asked if I wanted it or not, and that it is poorly documented.

Like every episode of a show? That is a bug for sure. I’ve only had it extend on season finale episodes. Might want to open a support ticket directly with Tablo Support so they can look at your logs to address the issue.

Seems rather clear to me. The last few weeks has been the time of finale’s. AFC, Debris, Equalizer, Music awards, etc.

Extend Live Recordings – Also enabled by default, this setting will automatically extend recordings by 50% of the total run time up to 2 hours for all TV programs marked ‘live’ like sports and awards shows. It’ll do the same for season premieres and finales.

Yes, every episode. Now that I know about this feature, I will just turn it off. If it’s still a problem, I’ll open a ticket.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.