Quad HDMI first impression coming from Tivo

Just wanted to share my first impression with the Quad HDMI coming from a Tivo Edge. The reason for trying the Tablo is that my 20mo old Tivo needs a new hard drive and proper replacements can be finicky and somewhat expensive, so decided to see if Tablo would be an alternative. The Tablo interface is simplistic and adequate but misses some of the things that make a polished product - eg being able to see a Live TV image while scrolling through the guide. The Tablo was easy to setup and I especially like the fact that it utilizes an external drive which makes it easy to replace or upgrade. The picture quality is very good. Being picky the remote could be better built, more substantial. I think not offering a lifetime subscription with the HDMI units is a mistake. Lastly, the thing that I just came across 8 days into my trial is that the guide occasionally has missing info, today Jan 30 in the Phila market I noticed missing info on two stations around 1-1:30pm which is totally unsatisfactory. When I scrolled I noticed a few more instances of missing info including on another channel - btw all these channels are major channels - CBS, ABC and FOX. I forced an update to the guide and still the info was missing. Never experienced this with Tivo. This leaves me questioning if I will be keeping the Tablo, I really would like to keep this but if it’s not reliable it’s a non-starter.

1 Like

As a test, try another zip code close to you. Can help narrow down if it’s a guide provider issue.

1 Like

I switched from a Bolt to a Quad with no real problems. Yes Tablo is slower doing some things, but overall it has worked out. Your channel guide problem, could be one of the slowdowns I noticed, but mine has always had the data, just slow to fill up sometimes.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.