QUAD Available!

This doesn’t track at all if you are talking about the same device! If volume was fine in 2017 and its low in 2019 it isn’t as though they reached out and changed the chip in your device.

The volume of recording on my Tablo 4 tuner are very low compared to everything else. On my Roku TV, on my, PC, and on my Android devices. Even if there is a chip in the Tablo that causes low volume it can be boosted in software on the device playing the media. They could add some kind of option to boost volume so it matches everything else.

Last I looked my Roku TV still didn’t have that option. I should check it again. That of course won’t help on my other devices.

The low volume issue is extremely annoying. I often have the volume turned all the way up to get decent volume and then we switch apps or input and get blown out of the house.

Have you tried turning on the surround sound option on your Tablo? Almost all HDTVs built in the last 10 years can decode 5.1 AC3 audio over HDMI.

I have not yet tried 5.0 surround. HDMI has nothing to do with it on our TV since Roku is built in. I see some say 5.0 helps. Perhaps I’ll give it a try. Unfortunately the Roku auto leveling is not yet available on our TV.

I just meant for other devices connected to HDTVs as well, such as Fire TV or Apple TV.

Antenna selection is just as much location as it is equipment. Use something like antenna web.org to see what towers are near your area and the best way to receive them. In my case I have a Mohu Curve 50 sitting on top of a shelf in my living room (not near a window and just looks like a piece of art) which gets me 33 full strength channels into my new Tablo QUAD. I was originally planning on looking into an attic mount antenna (HOA restrictions) but it looks like there in no need for my case.

2 Likes

Is that antenna behind a plant? You must live right next to the tower lol

Yep, behind the plant. All the towers are within 30 miles and I added a powered inline 20db signal booster with LTE filter. Those are pretty much the channels I wanted. I don’t need multiple ABC, NBC, etc.

Did the amp come with the antenna? If not, what amp?

The antenna did come with a “small amp” included, but I purchased this one thinking I would eventually get a larger antenna:

It works fine in line between the Mohu and the Tablo.

Good for you, well done. Mohu makes excellent products and the Curve 50 is a beautiful, unassuming piece that can fit and blend in just about anywhere. You can also paint them.

It sounds like it’s not an issue for you, just an FYI that there’s no such thing as an HOA restriction when it comes to OTA antennas, no matter what the may want you to believe. It’s federal law that you can’t be restricted from receiving OTA signals via whatever reasonable outdoor antenna might be necessary.

2 Likes

Well, I can put one up eventually after submitting a request to the Architectural Review Committee, get it approved … Blah, blah. Thank goodness indoor works great.

You can put one up without getting approval. They can’t deny it. That being said, if it’s really ugly or if they get their panties in a bunch because it’s visible from public areas (like driving down the street, they CAN… if they’re the vindictive type… probably find a lot of other stuff to complain about and generally make your existence there less than pleasant. :smiley:

You don’t need their approval. They tell you that, but you don’t. They know most people won’t challenge them on it, they’ve been getting away with this for years.

The Over-the-Air Reception Device Rule of 1996 (47 C.F.R. Section 1.4000) prohibits HOAs from this, as follows:

Prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. The rule applies to video antennas including direct-to-home satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39.37″) in diameter (or of any size in Alaska), TV antennas, and wireless cable antennas. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use; (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use; or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal.

and

“The rule applies to restrictions imposed by local governments, including zoning, land-use or building regulations; by homeowner, townhome, condominium or cooperative association rules, including deed restrictions, covenants, by-laws and similar restrictions; and by manufactured housing (mobile home) park owners and landlords, including lease restrictions. The rule only applies to restrictions on property where the viewer has an ownership or leasehold interest and exclusive use or control.”

Your Antop is HOA compliant and aesthetically pleasing. Blends right into a wall :innocent:

1 Like

Exactly. My HOA took one look at that beautiful Antop and said “YES!”.

I think it’s a status thing with HOAs. They feel that someone who has an old fashioned yagi style antenna on their roof is a redneck yahoo who can’t afford cable. That’s embarrassing for the neighborhood and property values…:cowboy_hat_face:

What we need is antenna styles for the cool dude…:man_singer::selfie:

1 Like

Ok, I know you are joking to some extent but what model? Who can’t use an antenna that works and is aesthetically pleasing? I’m likely upgrading although I think it will be to dual Yagi antennas.

1 Like

Antop seems to have an interesting home page (have to go there to see it) - a cool dude with two chicks. Or is that a family - father, mother, daughter? Nice ambiguity - family or the cool metrosexuals.

The Tablo page is soooo square - just boxes.

Hey what if they came up with an antenna in the shape of a guitar? :guitar: The Elvis Antenna!

2 Likes

I’m surprised somebody hasn’t done that Antenna / Guitar thing yet. I might submit a patent, myself. Maybe make a million dollars and I can afford to go back to cable.

1 Like