QUAD Available!

You should have tracking numbers now if not shortly.

Keep in mind that someone needs to be at the destination. My Tablo QUAD delivery was just attempted - but no one was home so they didnā€™t leave it. I guess I should have known, but I donā€™t remember the shipping notices saying anything about it.

Pretty amazing so far! Comparing with my OG 2 tuners and external HD, this new setup is so much more responsive, Iā€™m a happy camper gj Tablo friends ^^

1 Like

My 4 tuner was pretty snappy till I had hundreds of shows recorded. Get back to us in a few months.

1 Like

Hi, I was just looking at ordering this drive as well however, I saw this line in their datasheet:

Blockquote Green Hybridā„¢ feature reduces device power consumption, helping users extend
their driveā€™s life and keep their costs down with a power-efficient drive.

Datasheet

It was mentioned somewhere to avoid drive with disconnect problems/behavior. Would this power save feature lead to that behavior?

Yes, it could.
I would avoid any hard drive promoting power saving features like that.

Iā€™ve only been using it for a day but I donā€™t think this feature could become an issue at all

plus Iā€™m honestly not sure if the huge speed improvement Iā€™m seeing comes from the Tablo new engine or from this specific internal HD, but itā€™s night and day so far vs what I had.

OK, great. Thanks for the input. Iā€™ll check back to see how things are working out for you. I donā€™t need to commit to an HD just yet, as I still need to sort out my best antenna option. Iā€™m a ā€˜first timeā€™ cord cutter, so this process has been moving slowly as I climb the learning curve. ā€¦Back to my long range antenna options search. :slight_smile:

A common complaint with the previous Tablo is that the volume isnā€™t very loud when compared to other streaming apps or even live TV. Apparently itā€™s a hardware limitation and not something that can be tweaked with a firmware update. My question is, have they addressed that hardware issue with the new Tablo Quad?

What led you to believe it was a tablo hardware issue?

And when compared to volume from other OTT products:

I have a Roku 4200 with low volume.

A Roku 4210 and 4661 ultra and Gen 2 Fire TV stick with normal volume.

1 Like

If using a Roku with OS v9, volume leveling does a great job.
I donā€™t need to change the volume for any of my Roku apps, including Tablo.

1 Like

With any Tablo device (aka even the old ones) if you change the settings to record audio as surround sound, the audio is the native untouched AC3 audio from the broadcast stream. With no conversion of the audio from 5.1 AC3 to 2.0 AAC, there are no audio volume issues.

The user was talking about the supposed/reported low sound issues before the 5.1 surround sound feature.

The sound level could always have been controlled on the server side. Yet that would have affected users without a problem.

But after the 5.1 surround sound change, even my one low volume Roku seems to have started to behave itself. And I donā€™t turn on the surround sound feature. And whatever the change was it also didnā€™t impact my other devices.

Since the Quad uses a similar processor to transcode the video and audio, I assume the lower volume would be the same if surround sound was set to off. But who knows, guess weā€™ll have to wait and see what users report.

I missed the memo on this and canā€™t put the back on but it has a solid connection so I wonā€™t worry about it.

I only have Roku devices. I have a Roku Ultra, a Roku Streaming Stick, a Sharp Roku TV and a TCL Roku TV. Audio was fine when I first got my 4 tuner Tablo in 2017, but a little over a year ago I began experiencing low audio volume on all devices. Several months ago, I was searching to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and I found a lot of other people on this forum also complaining about low volume levels. There were also a lot of people debating about the existence of the issue. Finally someone from Tablo replied. I donā€™t remember the specifics, but it had to do with a particular chip that they decided to use.

Now I admit the volume levels are much higher when I have my Tablo set to surround sound, but itā€™s blaring loud when watching other streaming services like Netflix or Prime. And even louder when watching live TV directly from the TVā€™s own built in tuner.

I only have Roku devices. I have a Roku Ultra, a Roku Streaming Stick, a Sharp Roku TV and a TCL Roku TV. Audio was fine when I first got my 4 tuner Tablo in 2017, but a little over a year ago I began experiencing low audio volume on all devices. Several months ago, I was searching to see if anyone else was experiencing the same issue and I found a lot of other people on this forum also complaining about low volume levels. There were also a lot of people debating about the existence of the issue. Finally someone from Tablo replied. I donā€™t remember the specifics, but it had to do with a particular chip that they decided to use.

Now I admit the volume levels are much higher when I have my Tablo set to surround sound, but itā€™s blaring loud when watching other streaming services like Netflix or Prime. And even louder when watching live TV directly from the TVā€™s own built in tuner.

Wow! I learnt something new. I gotta check out my Roku devices and see what OS they run and look for this setting. Thanks.

Hereā€™s how you do it if your Roku supports itā€¦

Enable volume modes during playback

When streaming a movie or TV show, or watching content from another device on your Roku TV (e.g., cable set-top box, Blu-rayā„¢ player), you can enable Automatic Volume Leveling or Night Mode from the options menu as described below.

1. Start playback.
  2. Press the Star button star button on Roku remote on your Roku remote.
  3. Select Advanced sound settings .
  4. Use the directional pad to switch Volume mode to the desired setting. The directional pad is plus-shaped and is in the center of your Roku remote.
  • Off : Volume modes are inactive and content volume is unmodified.

• Leveling : Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

• Night : The volume of soft sounds like whispering is increased while the volume of loud sounds like explosions is decreased, making it easier to hear your TV at night without disturbing others.

• Note : In some streaming channels, the Star button star button on Roku remote is assigned a different function meaning it will not open the options menu as described above. In these cases, you must launch a different channel, such as The Roku Channel, and follow the steps above. Once the volume mode is switched, the setting will remain when you return to the original channel.