Prospective buyer wants a brief test run

Howdy brave Tablo early adopters! I’m running several SimpeTV Gen 1 boxes, but they don’t play at all on my new Chromebooks and the Chrome Box I’m installing tomorrow. Before dumping SimpleTV and going Tablo, I’d appreciate a kind user sharing a temp login creds to give me a few minutes to poke around a view live and recorded content…promise not to futz things up! :stuck_out_tongue: Not sure we have pm’s here, so feel free to use my username at google’s mail to contact me. Cheers! :smiley:

That’s not possible. You need to pair the device with the Tablo before you can use it.

If I pair my phone and then leave home, I can use it to poke around the Tablo on the go.
If I visit a friends house, there is no way I can use his computer to log into my Tablo.

It’s a MAC Address filter basically.  When you access Tablo over your local area network, the box adds the MAC Address to the ‘allowed list’ while everything else is deny.  This is the best way to allow known devices access to a Tablo without having usernames and passwords, which are less secure.

Here is a quick video of me doing a remote access session from a public WiFi access point showing how well Tablo responds even with slower networks.  Tablo access starts right after the network speed test.

I can tell you that my experience with TabloTV has been 100000x better than SimpleTV v2.  Also, I’ve seen some TabloTV tech support folks postings on these boards.  Never saw a SimpleTV person moderating theirs.  

"If I visit a friends house, there is no way I can use his computer to log into my Tablo."

This sucks. Sounds onerous to end users who simply want to log in to their service on any given device they happen to have at hand…that would be a dealbreaker for me.

"This is the best way to allow known devices access to a Tablo without having usernames and passwords, which are less secure. "

Not to be argumentative, but usernames and passwords are good enough for my banks and credit cards…it’s ONLY TEEVEE ferchrissakes.

"I can tell you that my experience with TabloTV has been 100000x better than SimpleTV v2.  Also, I’ve seen some TabloTV tech support folks postings on these boards.  Never saw a SimpleTV person moderating theirs."

Very true…one of Simple’s first signs of failing, insofar as customer support. I don’t ‘do’ Facebook/Twitter (I was prescient for once!) and need real, reachable support when hardware or software issues appear. I beta test stuff all the time (remember Dishplayer, Roku Netflix Player,etc.), and engaged, communicative devs are crucial to advancing widget sales and customer satisfaction. I’m already impressed with Tablo’s presence, even in the face of release delays. Simple should pay heed. :slight_smile: I’m a Gen 1 user, and it indeed works better than Gen 2 reports I’ve seen. I think this is a direct result of poor end-user communication I said above. Cheers!

"Not
to be argumentative, but usernames and passwords are good enough for my
banks and credit cards…it’s ONLY TEEVEE ferchrissakes.
"

Fair point, but are usernames and passwords really good enough? Many banks are implementing two-factor authentication because passwords are not secure enough any more. We live in days of OpenSSL vulnerabilities (Heartbleed) and home router exploits (The Moon). I think security to a device that has a direct link to my entire home network and everything in it is a very real concern. For these reasons, I’m satisfied with the MAC Address filter for remote access.

"Fair point, but are usernames and passwords really good enough? Many banks are implementing two-factor authentication because passwords are not secure enough any more. We live in days of OpenSSL vulnerabilities (Heartbleed) and home router exploits (The Moon). I think security to a device that has a direct link to my entire home network and everything in it is a very real concern. For these reasons, I’m satisfied with the MAC Address filter for remote access."

OpenID or other verifications enhance username/passwords, which I admit are low-level security measures, and MAC addresses are barely an improvement over that. Still, one shouldn’t have valuable content sitting around waiting to be hacked in the first place (see my earlier comments about Chromebook/chromebox replacing Windows in my home, for example). My lan/wlan is first and foremost a tool to consume entertainment content (I ‘cut the cord’ 5 years ago now), and any valuable and private content (files,taxes,etc.) are OFFLINE. That IS the best security, after all. 

It’s interesting to me that Tablo’s widget and service is designed to ‘free’ your OTA signal for time/place shifting, but only with a supercilious hardware ID condition…it should be up to the end user, who I might add buys the hardware, pays for the service subscription, then buys the storage device, and of course the power used to store THEIR OTA content. This hardware condition is onerous, and should be more prominent in the product description, lest a buyer discover it after purchase. Amusingly, I cannot even get a personal hands-on test run of the hardware/service due to this limitation.