Possibly a more affordable ATSC 3.0 tuner box

Praying for the utter failure of NexgenTV.

Praying to a false god. the FCC has increased preasure on NAB to roll out ATSC 3.0 in more DMA’s and provide the big 4 networks in all DMA’s.

Bleak. You’re painting a very very very dark world. Will be a sadder world.

But, I will enjoy what we have while it lasts.

Edit: ATSC 1.0, because this isn’t a forced government mandate and since the government isn’t going to give you “free” or subsidized tuners this time around, they can’t force everyone in NA to “upgrade”, therefore, “horrible world” won’t be forced upon us for, IMHO, at least 7+ years.

1 Like

True enough, but the Sony Betamax decision remains a Supreme Court precedent. And maybe that’s a good argument for opposing DRM.

Is there anything in that ruling that says the copy can’t be encrypted. And is there anything about remote viewing or making additional copies, etc.

The decision basically had to do with fair use under copyright law. Obviously, encryption is used to try to protect content on media such as we have on DVDs and Blu-Rays, and no one has an issue with that. And I remember back in the 80s, there were broadcasts over the public airwaves that were scrambled. But that was for a paid movie/sports service. OTA broadcasts have always been free, so it seems to me that DRM should be an issue. So I guess the question is, does adding encryption meet with their “public interest” obligation?

With regards to DVD (public decryption widespread and available) and Blu-ray (multiple codecs and encryptions), I personally have a big problem with it (preventing paying customers from copying).

Again, the idea was to reduce “piracy”, but “fakes” are fakes all the way, including encryption. And most leaks are done by “those” with access prior to distribution. Regardless, all Internet pirates can make copies regardless of encryption. So, again, the only person hurt, is the paying regular consumer.

If you have an issue with ATSC 3.0 you can stay with ATSC 1.0 until the various local stations in your DMA turn it off. Of course if your STB/gateway dies and you need a new one it probably will be dual ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0. Almost all the actual new tuners made since 2018 have been dual mode tuners.

I disagree with “almost all… since 2018”.

I only said 2018 because tablo use to use maxlinear tuners and the MxL603 was developed in late 2018.

Of course the 2 largest manufacturers of terrestrial tuners use to be samsung and lg. And korea adopted atsc 3.0 in 2017.

But, in 2018, while 99.999% ATSC 3.0, not deployed in NA, people were modifying Korean tuners to test with the very few ATSC 3.0 out there. There were a handful of very high end TVs with ATSC 3.0 in 2020, and I imagine a bigger list now in 2023.

Regardless, it wasn’t really until quite recently that ATSC 3.0 with 4K and drm was being deployed. Prior to that, the stations broadcasting were just doing 1080p, without drm. This is still all very very new. It was the addition of drm (which many of us predicted 5+ years ago) that changes everything.

Posted on July 24, 2017 in ATSC News

By JAY JEON

ATSC 3.0 broadcasting service is on the air in South Korea! Leading terrestrial broadcasters (KBS, MBC and SBS) started their main service – 4K Ultra HD channels – in the Seoul metropolitan area on May 31. Local broadcasters are now in the process of licensing to start their service by the end of the year. ATSC 3.0 signals are going to cover the whole country by 2021.

I just bought a Sony TV with an ATSC 3.0 tuner. I specifically looked for a model with the tuner because we were having signal strength issues with a certain channel and knew the 3.0 channel was being broadcast from a different tower and frequency. We get that channel perfectly on the TV so now I don’t get yelled at while my wife is watching The Bachelorette. I’m hoping in the future the Tablo will finally be released with 3.0 tuners so I can trade my current one in. It would be nice if when they do release the new tuners they would sell, at a reduced cost, an upgrade kit where users could just swap out the old board for the new one. Maybe a 50% to 30% discount over a whole new one?

1 Like

Personally, I’d rather buy a whole new unit as opposed to just swapping out a board (assuming that one board actually contains all the necessary parts). I’d also be surprised if they offer discounts of that nature because it will be effectively an entirely new product. Some type of discount would be nice though if only to encourage people to “recycle” their old units if they only need one Tablo (I’m a good use case for that).

2 Likes

Maybe all new tuners are ATSC 3.0 capable since 2018, but not all new TVs.
Until maybe this year only high end models had ATSC 3.0. And have you tried shopping for one? Good luck with big box retailers, you can’t even filter your search for the feature. If this is so great, shouldn’t they be pushing consumers towards it? I mean, I have a 3D Blu-ray player because that was the hype back when I bought it and it was hard to find one without it then! Not sure what that says about OTA – I reckon most consumers don’t care or it’s not worthwhile making them care (TV manufacturers getting paid by streamers?)

FCC has just recently talked about ways to reduce patent licensing costs. These costs current affect TV manufacturers desire to turn ATSC 3.0 on in low to mid priced models.

most users can determine which models have ATSC by reading the TV specifications. They do typically list atsc 3.0 under tuners.

Or one could go to watchnextgentv and review the list of TV’s under the shop devices tab.

Looks like the Zapperbox DVR is now out. I did not see a mention of network capability in this particular article. Some features still to come from how it reads.

There are already cheaper gateway systems that support DVR of unencrypted ATSC 3.0.

The holy grail is DRM decryption support. And everyone is waiting on 3rd party API’s that perform/support the actual decryption.

Yeah, just noticed this is a caveat in the release notes

ATSC 3.0 decryption rules are controled by A3SA.

A new ATSC 3.0 TV should already support decryption without the internet. it’s self contained so it uses a root certificate.

STB’s HDMI only devices might have different internet requirements then STB’s with network clients and gateway devices. But I haven’t heard of any network clients that sre allowed remote playback of encrypted content.