Poor picture quality on interlaced (1080i) channels

Love the Tablo and the 720p60 is great (antenna feed quality) for 720p60 channels. The 1080i broadcasts are noticeably choppy for me in fast moving scenes like in sports which I would suspect is due to conversion to 1080p. I use the Apple TV app and I’m Ethernet hard wired on the Tablo and the Apple TV and I get a solid stream (no dropouts or buffering after the initial tune to the station). Man it would be fantastic if somehow the motion could be improved on the 1080i broadcasts (the 720p60 broadcasts are fantastic). It makes no difference if I downgrade the recording setting (I tried downgrading to the 1080 setting and also tried the recommended 720 setting, etc.) Thanks.

1 Like

I have pretty much the same setup and I am seeing the same things. Choppy/digital effects on recordings - not seeing theses when viewing from OTA direct to the TV.

I am using the recommended HD 720 - 5 Mbps. I’d prefer a higher quality recording, but I’d settle for this if the choppiness wasn’t such a problem.

Just wanted to echo the same issues here with interlaced video on my 4 tuner.

Seems that Tablo is trying to do the deinterlacing, but is doing so very poorly. If you use the Kodi add-in and turn on the deinterlacing function, it makes no improvement whatsoever. If Tablo wasn’t deinterlacing, I would have expected the quality to improve.

As info, the Kodi deinterlacing works fairly well on my HD HomeRun that passes interlaced video.

My network is wired gigabit and I’m using an Amazon Fire TV for playback.

No improvement when switching encoding to recommenced 720p setting either…