Plex Live TV New features

I sold my two 2-tuner HD HomeRun tuners when I joined the Tablo army and sold all my SageTV gear…kind of wish I still had one of them to play with!

Is that just from a technical perspective?

Because doesn’t the Tablo client software just receive a stream from the Tablo unit itself?

They had already answered your question in their support articles: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/225877427

They don’t list the models individually nor do they use the term CableCard, but the answer is there. The support chart shows “SiliconDust HDHomeRun (all models)” as supported and there’s this paragraph near the top of the page: “If you do have cable service, though, you can still make use of a DVR that supports cable to let you view unencrypted content!”

Also they they use a moderation queue to filter out spam and comments containing insults and/or profanity.

I kept all my SageTv stuff…still have the HDHR-US version. I think I may just try it…wonder if you could limit the news to just the last 2 and more advanced recording features I really miss from the SageTV days. Although, that live recording with no pause or rewind is a big miss in my opinion.

I guess it could technically be repurposed to act like a network tuner, but what would be the benefit to Tablo?

Extra tuners to use?

Exactly the point I was trying to make. I can see from a business perspective why it wouldn’t necessarily make sense for them to open up to doing that, but I don’t know that I expected to see that from Silicon Dust either back when Plex DVR was announced.

Has there been any progress in using the Tablo with Plex for live TV? It would be an awesome workaround to the “can’t stream remotely unless you pair locally” issue with the Tablo.

This could make for a really cool partnership. Eliminate the hd, the remote access pairing issue goes away.

Personally, I think the Tablo picture is better than the hdhomerun picture. And I find the Tablo to be much more robust as a whole.

When I tried an hd home run and plex, I was getting a lot of channel/tuner lock ups. And the dvr was not recording for me on a regular basis.

Totally agree with picture quality. Plex DVR is working great for me, and I really appreciate the automatic commercial removal, as well as a guide that comes up instantly with all channels (why, after all this time, is the Tablo guide still so slow?).

All that said, the Tablo picture quality is miles better than the HD Homerun. I’d love to have the picture quality of the Tablo, with all the features that Plex gives.

My plex DVR still seems to miss recordings too. Also it feels like sections of my shows get removed with commercials in some cases.

I have been trying for weeks to get PLEX to find my Tablo.Do you have a step by step “script-fu” to get them to “work together”? Please advise.

@agravina257

Here is the link:https://github.com/plexinc-plugins/Tablo.bundle

Download the zip file.

Make a new folder in your Plex Plugin Directory name it “tablo.bundle”

Unzip the downloaded tablo bundle file, and copy the “contents” folder to your plex plugin folder. “tablo.bundle”.

I don’t use Tablo channel myself directly on Plex, not as functional as the ROKU App

Chas

Just a clarification for anyone who stumbles on this thread, the “work together” @agravina257 is asking about is a Plex Channel that allows access to the Tablo unit just like the Tablo app does on other platforms. This channel does NOT allow Tablo tuner access to allow integration with Plex Live TV & Plex DVR with the Tablo as the source tuners.

That would be one strange Nuvyyo business model that allowed and encouraged a major competitor to directly access their product and intellectual properties for free.

But you never know - “I Want To Believe”.

Chas,

Thank you. I will give it a shot and let you know how it works out.

Andy

I have the plug in. It works when I am on my home network. It’s slow to respond at times and does not work well when accessing plex remotely.

Said before, wish it would integrate like the hd homerun.