Please bring better support for Android TV Oreo

There are many things I would like to do.

But I can’t tell you if I can or will ever have the time and opportunity to do any of them.

But the rumors are that, as it’s approaching corporate budgeting time, Google is evaluating the future and direction of AndroidTV. And the same can probably be said of Nvidia and the Shield.

@zippy Please stop off topic ranting in random threads.

You are wrong anyway. Android TV has had tremendous growth. https://9to5google.com/2019/03/28/android-tv-operator-growth/

Let’s try to keep it civil folks.

We’ve been very focused on building out Tablo-specific features in the Tablo PREVIEW app. Until it reaches feature parity with all other apps (we’re getting close) that will continue to be our focus.

After that, we can consider requests like this.

But only if you start being nice.

Guy on skates…is this the year a Canadian team wins it? Can Ottawa cheer on the Leafs?

1 Like

Always, universally, forever no.

Until it’s time to not be nice.

Is this still in the pipeline?

Roadmaps are not commitments. Companies need to be agile and adjust to the most impactful feature at the given time. Failure to do that will yield being eclipsed by competition or alternatives. Anyone who has a ridged roadmap more than a release ahead is setup for becoming obsolete.

Oreo is also out of support if I’m not mistaken. Not saying Nuvyyo won’t try to support something that no longer has support, but somehow, I doubt it.

IMHO, this is the biggest problem with taking something very temporal (TV Smart OS’s) and combining it with something you might want to last (TV + panel). I know you can’t buy a non-Smart TV that’s worth anything anymore, but I sort of wish the smarts could be removed and go back to how it was.

The frustrating state of “TV” today.

2 Likes

Don’t connect the smart tv to the internet and it thus becomes really not that smart. There are plenty of better playback devices then those embedded on a smart tv.

Any technology company whose product is dependent on two or more technologies manufactured by multiple companies plus aseembled by companies in china is basically out of business if their business and development plans have no knowledge of the 1 and 3 years plans of those companies.

Since tablo firmware updates are on 6-8 month cycles they would be the same place DVR+ is if they discovered at the 8 month date that pixelworks stopped making their product or that maxlinear stopped making terrestrial tv tuners.

I should have made it clear when I resurfaced this topic that the issue is Android TV and not the version of the OS.

The idea is for items like (Play Next / New Recordings) appear on Android TV Home Screen.

Will be interesting to see. I mean, like most companies, probably don’t want “somebody else” to drive you. Building these kind of dependencies creates that situation. That is, Android TV (in this case) would have greater control on what Nuvyyo does and when they do it, etc.

I’m not saying you don’t get that from “others”, but you have to pick your battles and which ones you’re going to allow. Some of those “others” might not “drive you” as hard as others.

We’ll see. I think if all TV’s (including the likes of Samsung, LG) went Android TV, then that would give greater weight to support it even if it’s always changing, etc… I don’t know the Android TV marketshare when compared to Apple TV, Roku, Fire/Android, etc. Have a feeling it’s quite small though, possibly smaller than Tizen, WebOS, etc.

Better open source access would (IMHO), be the ultimate answer.