Playback stuck on "retrieving"

I’ve had a number of recordings in the past day that do not play. There is no icon with a slash to indicate a failed recording. The show gets stuck on buffering (retrieving). All my older shows seem to be fine. This happens on the Roku, Android app and web apps.

I have since unplugged and restarted my system and so far I am getting playable recordings again.

I wonder if anyone has any idea what might have caused this problem. It’s a good thing I record multiple copies of shows in case something fails. I have deleted most of the recent failed shows.

My 2TB hard drive is slightly over the half full point. Seagate 2TB slim. (STDR2000100)

I'm having a similar problem. I have a Tablo-quad (v 2.1.12) with a Roku 3 both hardwired into an ASUS RT-AC68U router. This setup has been working well for several weeks. In the past two days the Roku 3 will pause while playing both live and recorded shows and then hang while displaying a retrieving video message. The LED on the Tablo (which has been turned off) will have turned solid blue. Trying to do anything with the Tablo via the Roku will display a message about unable to connect to Tablo. Trying to access the Tablo via an iPad will also result in an unable to connect message. The only way to recover is to press the reset button on the back of the Tablo. This has happened about 5 or 6 times in the past two days. The log on the router shows nothing.

Well, it happened three more times and now even pressing reset doesn’t work. The LED flashes for a while and goes back to steady blue. I am unable to connect via Roku or iPad. I can go directly to the IP address of the Tablo and can see the words “Nuvyyo Tablo Server” but that’s all I could see there before. I also noticed that the box is pretty hot (over 100 degrees). I guess I’ll get an RMA and return the thing.

@HarryR That’s some weird behaviour. Does it seem to happen for a specific show or network? Don’t hesitate to reach out and send me a ticket at Support@Tablotv.com if this happens again.

@dan_barry We’ve been speaking today - and I’m confident that we’ll be able to find a resolution here. One thing I failed to mention earlier was that it’s entirely normal for the Tablo to run warm. We have a blog post on it which may be helpful: http://www.tablotv.com/blog/feel-the-tablo-love_and-the-warmth_its-all-good

@TabloSupport Fortunately the problem went away after the reset. It only affected recordings on a particular day. I still kept 2 recordings to see if the situation ever changes. I would send them to you to analyze but I can’t (cough) access any shows from the hard drive.  :slight_smile:

I submitted a support ticket last night and was contacted this morning. They thought that perhaps I had pressed the reset button for 6+ seconds at one point (causes a factory reset) while it was trying to update and may have resulted in corrupting it. They requested access to my Tablo by their technicians and said they’d call back when they finished. I haven’t heard back yet (it’s been about 7 hours) but the Tablo appears to have been reset and I can access it via Roku and Chrome browser now.The firmware is at 2.1.12.  I had to re-scanned channels. It seems I lost the images related to my scheduled shows and recordings - no big deal. I also took time to move my current recordings from a small drive (150GB) to a larger drive (1TB). I’ll keep my fingers crossed to see if their fix holds up since I started having the initial problems (hanging while retrieving video information) before I did any resets. I’ll post an update later.

I spoke too soon. I can see and play recordings through Chrome but cannot see or play them through Roku - it says no recordings found. I can also see scheduled shows through Chrome (no images) but Roku says nothing is scheduled. I’ll try deleting and re-setting up the schedules in Chrome and let you know what happens.

Can’t delete the schedules and can’t record anything new. Waiting on tech support to get back to me.

Went back into Tablo through Chrome next day and could no longer see my recordings or schedule. Was able to schedule new shows, record them and play them back. Away for a few days now. I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to use it more.