Playback freezing

I have this same issue. No HD connected. Was there a resolution?

It’s a sad shame no one’s admitting to have discovered a resolution. You’ve supposedly tried these obvious trouble-shooting tips. A network issue generally pauses, not just freezes…but that’s generally. You’ve eliminated the drive.

Unfortunately you may consider contacting tablo support
https://www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

• or

https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

although you might have have come across some bad experiences accounts here, not everyone post about how the good times go …they’re often helpful and it’s not always a terrible experience. -YMMV

If you don’t have a hard drive connected it’s most likely a network-based slowdown. Although if your Tablo doesn’t have onboard storage either, and you’re trying to use multiple streams that could also be the issue.

Don’t hesitate to touch base with support directly: www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

I have been experiencing the exact same issues. Roku with Tablo Quad DVR constant hang with spinning circle. Sometimes it comes back but most of the time we have to exit stream & re-launch. Only occurs on Tablo & no other streaming service such as NetFlix, Disney, etc. Occurs on all 4 Roku’s in the house.

Same issue here, but on my Xbox One S. CAT6 for all. Tried with and without Surround Sound, all Live TV Quality settings, with and without external hard drive. I have the Tablo Quad DVR running 2.2.31.

Please advise.

Same issues here. Tablo dual lite, ruku 2 & roku 3 on two separate TV’s. Happens during live TV - it’ll just sit & buffer. Very frustrating. I’d say about %80 of the time, if I go unplug the tablo power for a minute, plug back in, it will start working again. Sometimes I have to reset everything - tablo, both roku’s & the router to get the tablo to work. But then, a few days later it will start buffering again. Never have a problem with any other services - Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Disney, etc. Just the tablo has problems. I’ve had the tablo for probably close to two years & it just seems to be getting steadily worse & worse. I’ve hoped that there would have been a newer “bigger better faster” tablo by now - I’d happily buy it in a heatbeat. But I’m very disappointed that all they’ve been able to come up with in 2 years is an ethernet connected model…

I also am having freeze up when playing recorded shows. After 15-20 seconds it restarts at beginning of show. This started after firmware update last few days.

I am also having issues since the firmware update at random points in some recordings I get a spinner in the AppleTV app and then the recording starts back at the beginning. Very annoying. Doesn’t happen on every recording.

@dvrdvr @Steven_K Are you both on Apple TVs? And does this only happen with completed recordings - or are the recordings ever in progress? Or is it ever on Live TV? We’ve seen some similar issues in the past (unrelated to this firmware update) in th video player that we’ve been trying to narrow down.

@TabloSupport I’m on AppleTV and I am only noticing it on completed recordings.

I’m using Roku Premier. Only noticed on completed recordings

@TabloSupport watching another recording and playback stopped and started again at an earlier point in the recording, this is very annoying. It’s either the firmware update or the new version of the AppleTV app just released as I never had this problem until now.

I have the exact same problem. Freezes during playback. This started AFTER the new firmware update was installed last weekend. Tablo Quad with new WD 2TB drive, connected via Cat 6 to Asus router. Watching on Roku Ultra HD/4K. Freezes can occur frequently during playback, some lasting 15-30 seconds.

The freezes started happening AFTER new firmware installed. Hoping they send out a firmware update that fixes this soon.

1 Like

For me it is both situations. More predominant is no message, screen goes black with spinning wheel (buffering) then may restart in 10-30 seconds. Sometimes it restarts for a second then goes right back into buffering. It isn’t really predictable.

As for the message - I think you mean the one that tells you to downgrade the playback screen - that happens infrequently.

Hope this helps.

@TabloSupport hey Tablo any updates on this issue. I haven’t heard anything back on my ticket either other than you are looking into it.

Unfortunately, nothing yet. Our team has been trying to reproduce this without success. In the meantime, we’re suggesting a few other things to see if they resolve the issue:

• Reboot both your Router, Apple TV and Tablo
  • If the issue is still present, uninstall and reinstall the Tablo app on your Apple TV
  • If the issue continues, hardwire either your Apple TV or your Tablo (or both) directly to your router using an Ethernet cord (if possible)

It would be helpful to know if the issue continues after these attempts.

@TabloSupport Could it be possibly something to do with the AppleTV app update or the new firmware and Asus routers? I have an asus router and another poster above said they have a asus router too.

@TabloSupport happened again tonight on a recorded movie, almost at the end and then it jumps back to the beginning, have to fast forward back to where I was. I haven’t heard back on my support ticket lately so I have replied.

@TabloSupport i have tried the above suggestions plus lowering the recording quality as suggested in an email from support but the issue persists.

We’re still investigating this issue to try and determine its root cause. It’s possible there’s an issue in the video player, the tvOS firmware, or both. We’re going to continue trying to reproduce this, but we don’t have an ETA on any changes just yet.