OTA when internet is down

And how long could the WAN be down before that solution stops working?

It sounds like this problem has less to do with the Tablo device and more to do with the various Tablo apps. When people mention the ā€œTabloā€ I just think of the device.

It has to do with the various IETF standards.

How the various playback devices work is a business decision.

1 Like

And what standard are you looking at specifically?

DHCP.

Since we are talking about a consumer product versus a commercial product, product suppliers understand that 99% of the customers couldnā€™t manually configure IP addresses, DNS servers, routers, etc.

If you run ifconfig/ipconfig on a windows or linux system you could obtain you IP lease time.

If your DHCP server runs on an ISP supplied router it many go down when the WAN link goes down.

Of course then there is power up without WAN and NTP,etc.etc.

I can see this for IPv6, not so much for IPv4 which is normally supplied via DHCP regardless of the state of the WAN connection.

IPV6 originally was suppose to not need DHCP. Now Iā€™ve seen DHCPv6 creeping into the mix.

Pull your WAN cable and then log into your router and check the DHCP server status.

In China they not only want the DHCP server to go down but also the NAT.

Some people use to DD-WRT on a bridge router to specify their lease times and keep the DHCP up. I use to do that just to play. But my WAN rarely goes down.

My ISP router stayed up 380 days and the WAN link 268 days before the routerā€™s DNS lookup started to bog down and the router needed a reboot.

LOL, I have two Internet connections with multiple VLANā€™s , 5 switches, POE, and a Netgate branded PFSense firewall / router. I donā€™t suffer from these silly problems.

So how many DHCP servers do you have and which routers are hosting them? Who supplies the NTP server?

But you did want to know what problems a typical user might encounter if the WAN went down.

NTP is hosted local and synced to GPS, I have 4 DHCP zones for 4 subnets on the PFSense box. My IOT devices are all isolated from the rest of the network completely, as are my security cameras on a different VLAN / Subnet.

I wanted to know if this was an App issue or a Tablo issue, sounds like itā€™s an App issue.

So you also host your own DNS server so that you can look up the various NTP server name lookups used by the various devices(tablo, roku, firetv,etc) and redirect them to your NTP server?

Yes, but I also intercept the NTP port on the LANā€™s and redirect the traffic to my local NTP services. Side effect is any IP or FQN will resolve NTP. My DNS is all TLS btw.

Sounds like a typical Tablo userā€¦:crazy_face:

2 Likes

More like a streamer box OS issue. Some boxes just wonā€™t run apps without an Internet connection. Roku does not have this problem.

For the web app, itā€™s a provisioning problem. The web app was designed to only load from cloud servers, not from the local Tablo server (box). Nuvyyo says they did that so they didnā€™t need to update the box firmware if they needed to update the web app. Which is a cop-out to me. Thereā€™s no reason the box firmware couldnā€™t download the current web app during nightly maintenance.

Since we are dealing with consumer products the man-in-the-middle attack may always work.

Until someone:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5906

I had a TiVo. Used it for a couple years. A very good system. Being connected to only one tv was a big negative. Switched to tablo, really like being able to watch on multiple devices.
I donā€™t know if a new problem has popped up or something with my tablo. Last night I had three different programs set to record at the same time. All three have record failure at the same time. Never saw that on TiVo.
I have the two antenna setup. One is vhf only for frequency 11 my strongest signal. The other antenna is hdb90x uhf/vhf for frequency 19-35. The record failures were on frequencies 11, 35, and 32. Channel on frequency 11 is 40 miles southeast, frequency 32 is 6 miles north and 35, 30 miles northwest.
I do have signal strength issues with the tower 30 miles northwest. It is translated from a tower that is also translated to.
Oklahoma City sends signal to Elk City. Elk City then sends that signal to Hollis, and I receive the signal from Hollis. Those frequency are 18, 22, 26, 34, and 35.
Does internet signal have any effect on ability to record? Guess Iā€™m asking if I lose internet signal, does the tablo stop recording? I was watching a recorded program when the failure occurred. Error message popped up about signal for approximately thirty seconds then went to home page. Had to restart the recorded program I was watching. About a thirty second skip in the three programs being recorded.

No, it has no effect.

What does have an effect is if a tuner has serious problems with a channel. A tuner problem can cause the Tablo to reboot, affecting all the recordings going on.

I guess my internet hasnā€™t fully cut out, you canā€™t watch live TV when the internet is down?

You can use your Tablo for live and recorded TV when just the internet is down (on most clients). There are quite a few posts and threads about what works and what doesnā€™t.

I need to work on a resolution for this as I thought a few months ago (new Tablo Quad user) was concerned about my fiber optic broadband and AC power. My desktop and Tablo are connected to a UPS, so Iā€™ll have AC power for several hours or more. I ran a few really crude tests by disconnecting the ONT, modem/router etc. I thought that i would be ok, but Iā€™m not, I need to figure something else out. Yesterday evening fiber optic broadband went out. We still had power, just lost the internet. OTA TV through the Tablo was a no-go. I tried TV through my desktop and my phone without success. I kept receiving the error that there wasnā€™t an internet connection or something similar.