Nuvyyo new owners

Do they adhere to the ATSC 3.0 A/344, A/360, and A/362 standards. The purpose of new standards is to better prevent hacks. And if the DVR recording is encrypted the product may require the internet to retrieve the decrypt key.

I donā€™t believe the broadcasters want to eliminate the DVR - here is why. If I donā€™t watch NCIS on CBS via my OTA because I canā€™t record it, my 2nd choice would be Paramount Plus. By doing that, I cut out my local broadcaster and view directly from CBS. If that happens, the local broadcaster loses out on a subscriber, the commercials arenā€™t skipped or recorded, so the local broadcaster loses out on all the revenue, and eventually goes bankrupt.

I can understand the broadcasters not wanting automatic commercial skip to work, and I could understand if they inserted something that eliminated the ability to fast forward through commercials. It is the advertising revenue that keeps them afloat. But not allowing recording at all would eliminate them from the gameā€¦

1 Like

I agree on that point but there must be receivers able to work completely offline as well. The FCC would have a fit if they excluded people without internet. That might not apply to sub channels though since the FCC gives them more freedom on sub channels. Hypothetically if I were making the system putting myself in their shoes I would use the baked in key along with a transmitted key to create a derivative key that expired. Then I would require an active internet connection for replay of the media after the temporary key expiration. That could be a paid service. The expiry time would probably be media dependent with some expiring almost immediately like NFL sports. Commercial skipping might also require an internet connection.

I agree but with the addition there will be a paid option to skip commercials.

We both own hdhomerun 4K devices. So we should know what the standards require for STBā€™s. They are much different then a self-contained TV set. Or even a STB playing linear OTA broadcasts over HDMI/HDCP-2.2

I think the standard addresses the man in the middle attack.

That can be accomplished with encryption but whenever a motivated person has physical access to a device the game is over. Itā€™s just a matter of time.

I havenā€™t jumped on that train yet. There were too many complaints showing up.

Oops wrong reply too. Too much crap going on at once. Should have gone to ronintexas.

But here is a question. If the DVR writes the recordings to disk using a device specific crypto key can the disk be migrated to another device.

Probably not because the device key wonā€™t be on the disk. Depending on the implementation you might not even be able keep the recordings if you upgrade the drive on the device that made the recording. I suspect the DRM will vary widely based on content. Something like the Superbowl will probably be locked down so tight you canā€™t fast forward but something like Hogans Heroes might not have any protection at all.

Congrats on the sale!! Iā€™ve been a happy customer since sept 2015, bought 2 boxes and 1 lifetime subscription. You guys have provided me with so much value over the time, just wanted to say thanks <3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.